1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Btw. I'm putting together a xeon based micro-atx rig. I bought 6x2gb pc3-10600 unbuffered ecc ram. The ram doesn't have heat spreaders (got it cheap at $35). How much would I be able to oc it before it toasts? They're stock 1.5v of course

Btw. I'm putting together a xeon based micro-atx rig. I bought 6x2gb pc3-10600 unbuffered ecc ram. The ram doesn't have heat spreaders (got it cheap at $35). How much would I be able to oc it before it toasts? They're stock 1.5v of course

You shoudn't need anything on those. If anything, you'll need some active cooling on the chipset.

I've been looking at this on ebay. Would you only have to replace the bios chip for it to work? Could be a cheap solution for someone wanting to get a x58 board.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Rampag...504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487d97a128

Bios Chip : http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-A...302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caa4d542e

That does seem like a nice deal assuming that the board doesn't have any damage.

Throw in another $10-15 for an I/O Shield.

I'd much rather have this one as higher overclocks would likely be more stable.

These may have a user password set, which would mean that they haven't really been tested.. Only to post. If so, then this is obviously quite a risk.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That does seem like a nice deal assuming that the board doesn't have any damage.

Throw in another $10-15 for an I/O Shield.

I'd much rather have this one as higher overclocks would likely be more stable.

These may have a user password set, which would mean that they haven't really been tested.. Only to post. If so, then this is obviously quite a risk.

both hell of a good price....especially if flashing the bios with ez flash corrects it....even if you had to cross flash it and then flash it back to latest stock then clear cmos would really think it be all thats needed to remove the dam bios password
2 possibility either they sellers are really dumb or there selling known faulty junk and just using the password as a front......only one way to find out i guess....i guess check there feedback thoroughly and go from there

one thing to keep in mind if there running older bios....better have a 920 sitting around cause the xeon wont even post to be able to flash it lol....don't think i would do it without a back up 920 sitting around but this could also be the case for any board you buy...kinda sucks....guess buying a rom might not be such a bad idea if we knew it had latest bios on it:)

Last edited:
Apparently the bios chip is easy to replace and the replacement comes with the latest bios, no 920 needed. Could be a winner for anyone brave enough to try it.

Apparently the bios chip is easy to replace and the replacement comes with the latest bios, no 920 needed. Could be a winner for anyone brave enough to try it.

it is very easy to replace.....had a bad win flash on mine first year...took like 2 min to remove and put in new rom

Thats exactly what a smart person would do....
smart is not the word i would use.....dishonest piece of shit is better description....but looking at he customer reviews on the second seller , i didn't get that impression unless there just starting to do it

Last edited:
very interesting...thanks for the clarification

now as far as my interest in the current cpu usage in gta 5 for hexa cores is really that a games is in fact finally at least using a hexa capability...does it need it i doubt anyone's arguing its needed for decent game play but it does give at least a glimmer of promise that there is some benefit even if its more of a mind set that it just "feels smoother"

Anyone who bought a hexa core purely for gaming was very misguided in as up till now its really only been a huge benefit for video encoding or i suppose people with multiple vm's going at the same time. I don't even own the game yet but im happy to see a game starting to push a hex finally after the long wait. It is true they will never make a game requiring a hex any time soon, but its somewhat exciting to see a game at least making use of the extra cores, even if not needed. i cant help but think hexa owners might in fact get a smoother game play experience, but its pure hopeful speculation.

Finally joined the club over the weekend. Swapped out a 930 for a X5675 on a Asus P6X58D-E. Got it running up 4.2GHz with very little trouble and good temps. If anyone is interested in settings I can post them, but at this point, everything has pretty much been covered in this thread.
Regarding some of the gaming comments, as thats what I mostly, I was getting high 50 fps in GTAV and would easily dip into the 40s. Now, I average in the 70s and never drop below 60. This is with a 780 also @1200p. Very nice upgrade for just a tad over $100 bucks imo and should provide some nice longevity, on an already 5 year old system :) Very cool to see 12 threads in the TM :)

Thanks to this thread and everyone's comments who have made this thread what it is.

I've been getting better fps in gta v with ht disabled. Good usage on 6 threads though. I just passed 15 hours of Prime blend 4.6ghz @ 1.4v, hottest core hit 77C using a noctua D-14. Squeezed the D14 into a LIAN LI PC-9F case, cant even get the damn side panel on.

Last edited:
I've been getting better fps in gta v with ht disabled. Good usage on 6 threads though. I just passed 15 hours of Prime blend 4.6ghz @ 1.4v, hottest core hit 77C using a noctua D-14. Squeezed the D14 into a LIAN LI PC-9F case, cant even get the damn side panel on.

Strange. I have a D14 in a Lian Li PC-7FN without issue.

I have heard this before.

About how much better frame rates?

I have been trying to keep everything maxed out with 2x msaa + Txaa but that grass on ultra is killing me when I get to the outskirts and country side.

It is almost perfect......

This guy (or store) had 2 x X5675 for $80 each with free shipping. I grabbed one. If anyone wants one, get it now. Great deal!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=311348829363&alt=web

EDIT: I guess it was a mistake since he took it down soon after I posted the link. I grabbed one as the seller listed it as 2 separate listings.

Last edited:
I've been looking at this on ebay. Would you only have to replace the bios chip for it to work? Could be a cheap solution for someone wanting to get a x58 board.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Rampag...504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487d97a128

Bios Chip : http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-CHIP-A...302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3caa4d542e

The board I've got seems damaged. I'd hold off buying from these guys for the time being.
It may just be missing a jumper somewhere and it's not letting it boot. I'd have to rtfm further before giving a final say on this. Stay tuned
Argh.. If it doesn't work it would make it the worst week I've had in my entire 15yrs history of dealing with ebay. I'd comment later what has happened with other sellers this week. It's been a clusterfuck. All items involved relate to this build. Case, ram, this motherboard..

The board I've got seems damaged. I'd hold off buying from these guys for the time being.
It may just be missing a jumper somewhere and it's not letting it boot. I'd have to rtfm further before giving a final say on this. Stay tuned
Argh.. If it doesn't work it would make it the worst week I've had in my entire 15yrs history of dealing with ebay. I'd comment later what has happened with other sellers this week. It's been a clusterfuck. All items involved relate to this build. Case, ram, this motherboard..

Damn hope it works! If it doesn't boot you should be able to get your money back, as the description says the board boots just has a bios password.

Damn hope it works! If it doesn't boot you should be able to get your money back, as the description says the board boots just has a bios password.

It seems a dud. The power button and reset button light up. But after pressing the start button, the power supply doesn't even kick in. The intrusion jumper seem ok in its default position. So it's not that. I don't know what's wrong. I asked the seller to test the board prior to shipping.. damn it

It seems a dud. The power button and reset button light up. But after pressing the start button, the power supply doesn't even kick in. The intrusion jumper seem ok in its default position. So it's not that. I don't know what's wrong. I asked the seller to test the board prior to shipping.. damn it

They accepted the return. But they refused to give me a refund on the spot.
So who knows how long it's going to be until they test out the board.
I asked them to relay to me which CPU/Ram combo they use to test these boards. And specifically if this one checks out ok, what ram/cpu they used. I forgot to ask them what bios rev they have. I'd probably ask them that later if they reply.

God damn it. This is so disappointing. Another seller send me fewer ram modules than promised in his auction. That one it seems I'd lose. And another who sold me a nice case has been awol for weeks, no shipping or msg replies. I started a refund claim on that one too. None of these seem like they will be resolved until late may. :(

i wish I never started this build

I asked them to relay to me which CPU/Ram combo they use to test these boards. And specifically if this one checks out ok, what ram/cpu they used. I forgot to ask them what bios rev they have. I'd probably ask them that later if they reply.

God damn it. This is so disappointing. Another seller send me fewer ram modules than promised in his auction. That one it seems I'd lose. And another who sold me a nice case has been awol for weeks, no shipping or msg replies. I started a refund claim on that one too. None of these seem like they will be resolved until late may. :(

ok what cpu and ram did you try it with? if the board is running an old rom you would need a new bios chip or a 920 to flash it......just wondering:confused:

The item has to match the description. They clearly say the board posts, so they should at the very least send one that posts to where you have to enter the password in the bios. If they cant send one that does that then you should get a full refund, same with the missing ram.

I've had a few ebay deals go bad myself, just a few days ago I bought two reference r9 290's. The picture showed the two cards without the coolers on them, but the titled said "heatsinks included". Cards came today without the coolers, only little aluminum ram heatsinks. Now I have no way of testing them without buying a waterblock or aftermarket cooler. I'm hoping someone here has a spare stock cooler that they can sell/loan me.

Please answer the questions primetime asked.

You may not be able to boot a 32nm CPU without a bios flash. Which means you would need a 920 or something just to flash the bios.

What exactly did you buy? Was it supposed to be ready for 32nm six cores?

Please answer the questions primetime asked.

You may not be able to boot a 32nm CPU without a bios flash. Which means you would need a 920 or something just to flash the bios.

What exactly did you buy? Was it supposed to be ready for 32nm six cores?

No I'm not trying to boot a 6core xeon yet precisely because of that. But a w3520 and a xeon e5520. It could be down to the bios not taking ANY kind of xeon at an early rev.
However, I'm using a w3520. With either a 1gb ecc unbuffered or 1gb non-ecc unbuffered pc3-10600. Shouldn't that be compatible? It's supposed ot be an i7-920 equivalent. Or so they say. Unfortunately I got rid of my i7 920 a few years back when was still worth something.

But here is the issue. The power supply's fan doesn't even kick in. I had ram/cpu misconfiguration issues in the past where the system's fan and even the power supply fan kicked in. I get nothing at all in this case. Something else is going on with this board, The Start button and reset button are light on. But nothing else is. When you press the start button nothing happens

Take a close look at the pins? Maybe its just me but its a real posabality the boards using a very early bios and as such I don't think it would post to be able to even start working on the password. Its entirely possible the board has no issues.....I might have been tempted to purchase a bios chip with a guaranteed latest ROM before returning it....espically if you found a seller that might except returns...but even then were talking what 20 bucks? Just a thought

Take a close look at the pins? Maybe its just me but its a real posabality the boards using a very early bios and as such I don't think it would post to be able to even start working on the password. Its entirely possible the board has no issues.....I might have been tempted to purchase a bios chip with a guaranteed latest ROM before returning it....espically if you found a seller that might except returns...but even then were talking what 20 bucks? Just a thought

Nah. I don't think is worth buying a bios chip at this point. I'm returning it tomorrow. I'm cutting my loses and getting out of building this rig. Would probably sell my thinkstation D20 as well this week and get a single x58 workstation instead. Probably a thinkstation S20 ( yet again...). I still have the x5670 cpu at least.
I tihnk it would've been more rational to buy a $200+ graphics card than throw cash at this sinkhole of a failed build to be honest

the pins are fine btw. it was the 1st thing I looked at

No I'm not trying to boot a 6core xeon yet precisely because of that. But a w3520 and a xeon e5520. It could be down to the bios not taking ANY kind of xeon at an early rev.
However, I'm using a w3520. With either a 1gb ecc unbuffered or 1gb non-ecc unbuffered pc3-10600. Shouldn't that be compatible? It's supposed ot be an i7-920 equivalent. Or so they say. Unfortunately I got rid of my i7 920 a few years back when was still worth something.

But here is the issue. The power supply's fan doesn't even kick in. I had ram/cpu misconfiguration issues in the past where the system's fan and even the power supply fan kicked in. I get nothing at all in this case. Something else is going on with this board, The Start button and reset button are light on. But nothing else is. When you press the start button nothing happens

That's too bad man. I also use a $10 w3520 for testing. Depending on the board, even without a CPU it should power on and throw a beep code.

I also had some bad experiences with boards on ebay. Luckily they were advertised as working and I got a full refund and shipping was covered. I also got a x5670 with damaged caps, also got a full refund.

I don't think I'd buy a board that isn't listed as working unless it was like $20 as these kind of boards are too complicated (lots of easily damaged parts, especially on the bottom).

I maintain that I don't think it's worth buying an X58 motherboard through eBay. I'd only feel comfortable buying from someone through a forum. Of course your mileage may vary, I would just feel a lot better buying new components with warranties. If I'm building an enthusiast rig with secondhand parts, I'm going either X79 or X99. Again, this is just how I feel.

I maintain that I don't think it's worth buying an X58 motherboard through eBay. I'd only feel comfortable buying from someone through a forum. Of course your mileage may vary, I would just feel a lot better buying new components with warranties. If I'm building an enthusiast rig with secondhand parts, I'm going either X79 or X99. Again, this is just how I feel.

I rarely have had problems with ebay. Been using it for eons. And buying this motherboard through this seller was a calculated risk. I've looked at this seller's auctions for years. Seller isn't a fly-by-nighter. I know I'd be getting a refund. It will take a while of course.

The other two things (case/ram) I thought I was getting a good deal on. I got greedy, and got burned. As neither of those sellers were power sellers. Both had very few fb. I rarely bid on auctions were the sellers have low feedback.. And I kind of deserved it to be frank.

This guy on OCN got one too. Wouldn't post with an X5650 so he got a new BIOS and got it to work.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1489955/official-x58-xeon-club/4680#post_23849146

This guy on OCN got one too. Wouldn't post with an X5650 so he got a new BIOS and got it to work.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1489955/official-x58-xeon-club/4680#post_23849146

Guys. I was fully aware of that. I never even tried a 6-core cpu. I went through the same thing with an old lanparty jr x58. I tried it 1st with a w3520 and then an e5520.

Now that I'm looking at the seller's TOS. There's a chance he'd charge a 20% restocking fee if they test the board to be functional. I saw a few negative fb from ppl complaining about this. Even if it doesn't work. He could claim it does and charge me that fee. Let's see how that goes. It's going to be another full week when the seller gets the chance to inspect it since he sent it via fedex instead of USPS. It would’ve taken 2-3 days with priority shipping. But instead it took a full week. The return shipping label is a fedex one.

I'll come back a week from now and let you know ppl. Maybe this would be a seller to avoid in the near future.

Guys. I was fully aware of that. I never even tried a 6-core cpu. I went through the same thing with an old lanparty jr x58. I tried it 1st with a w3520 and then an e5520.

Now that I'm looking at the seller's TOS. There's a chance he'd charge a 20% restocking fee if they test the board to be functional. I saw a few negative fb from ppl complaining about this. Even if it doesn't work. He could claim it does and charge me that fee. Let's see how that goes. It's going to be another full week when the seller gets the chance to inspect it since he sent it via fedex instead of USPS. It would’ve taken 2-3 days with priority shipping. But instead it took a full week. The return shipping label is a fedex one.

I'll come back a week from now and let you know ppl. Maybe this would be a seller to avoid in the near future.

I know it sucks to have a dead mobo from eBay.

I bought a DFI X58 board a few years ago and the seller shipping it wrapped loosely with Saran wrap in a box filled with foam peanuts. Needless to say, it didn't post. They guy apologized for his error, paid for shipping back and got me a refund.

For what is worth my nephew claims he is getting at least a 15fps bump in GTA V benchmarks after upgrading to the x5670 hexacore I ended up not using for my fail build with the lanparty jr. He previously had a w3520 in his thinkstation S20. Kinda sucks he can't overclock it. It performed so well with everything else (adobe premiere/after effects) he ended up buying it within the hour of testing it. I wish bios modders would focus on modding these workstation machines. But I guess they don't have overclock functionality to begin with.

To be honest I'm having buyers remorse building an x58 gaming rig. Just the desktop ram alone is so expensive. I got 16gb reg'd ram for my thinkstation D20 for $55. It can go as high as $100 for desktop ram. Even after selling my thinkstation d20 I won't totally recoup my $

What he's saying is true. GTA V runs much better/smoother with a hexacore or greater. I wouldn't bother running this game on a quad core i7.

Wow that one core not being used at all. Probably just set afterburner, antivirus and any other running background apps to use that 12th core for perfect balance but even like it is...... it does look to be the best multi threaded cpu usage game to date. Very good info....keep it coming;) Oh and btw what video card and rest of pc parts being used?

crossfire 290x, Rampage Formula III, and a creative ZxR.

II don't know what is going on with LaCuNa's gta5 results. When I check mine, all 12 threads are being used. Most stay 30-55% with a few a few that dip slightly lower for tiny blips and others that go up to the upper 60s.

Could be the crossfire 290x, or it could be the soundcard i'm using?

Finally joined the club over the weekend. Swapped out a 930 for a X5675 on a Asus P6X58D-E. Got it running up 4.2GHz with very little trouble and good temps. If anyone is interested in settings I can post them, but at this point, everything has pretty much been covered in this thread.
Regarding some of the gaming comments, as thats what I mostly, I was getting high 50 fps in GTAV and would easily dip into the 40s. Now, I average in the 70s and never drop below 60. This is with a 780 also @1200p. Very nice upgrade for just a tad over $100 bucks imo and should provide some nice longevity, on an already 5 year old system :) Very cool to see 12 threads in the TM :)

Thanks to this thread and everyone's comments who have made this thread what it is.

Exactly. If I was still using my quad core i7 I would be getting crap FPS with large dips that make the game lag. A hexacore makes the FPS soo much better, soo much smoother it's a no brainer. Overclock your hexacore, and we're talking beastmode :D

Sorry I couldn't get back to the replies earlier guys, I was banned for a minute.

What he's saying is true. GTA V runs much better/smoother with a hexacore or greater. I wouldn't bother running this game on a quad core i7.

crossfire 290x, Rampage Formula III, and a creative ZxR.

Could be the crossfire 290x, or it could be the soundcard i'm using?

Exactly. If I was still using my quad core i7 I would be getting crap FPS with large dips that make the game lag. A hexacore makes the FPS soo much better, soo much smoother it's a no brainer. Overclock your hexacore, and we're talking beastmode :D

Sorry I couldn't get back to the replies earlier guys, I was banned for a minute.

I'm seeing better fps with HT off. Can anyone else confirm?

I'm seeing better fps with HT off. Can anyone else confirm?
Sounds a bit odd. Back in the day, some people disabled HyperThreading on their i7-920/930s because it reduced heat output, thus allowing for higher overclocks in some sense. Of course, these days you'd just go Core i5 in that situation but back then there was no Core i5.

With Westmere-EP, temperature isn't really an issue so I'm not sure if disabling HyperThreading has much use. Unless of course there is a significant difference in performance in some games but I bet it's not a common occurrence.

Sounds a bit odd. Back in the day, some people disabled HyperThreading on their i7-920/930s because it reduced heat output, thus allowing for higher overclocks in some sense. Of course, these days you'd just go Core i5 in that situation but back then there was no Core i5.

With Westmere-EP, temperature isn't really an issue so I'm not sure if disabling HyperThreading has much use. Unless of course there is a significant difference in performance in some games but I bet it's not a common occurrence.

Most games run better with HT off because they depend on single thread performance. Everyone says how well GTA V is for multi-thread but I think its only really using up to 6 threads, maybe 8. I see roughly 15-20fps increase going from 4 cores to 6, but a 5 fps decrease using 12 threads.

Actually, there were i5 processors, but they were on the LGA 1156 socket. They were mainstream processors whereas i7-920 on up were enthusiast processors on a different socket. It's the same thing today, but the sockets are LGA 1150 (mainstream) and LGA 2011-3 (enthusiast).

Back