1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

The case I'm leaning towards most for my next case is Rosewill Rise Glow since it supports dual PSUs.

i hope you been leaving the case side off all this time......you have zero airflow lol. I like the idea of the inverted case in theoy....but everywhere i look to install a rad in the case is all cramped up....hmmm....like the opposite of aio cooling friendly. i might try to pull in air from the bottom somehow and cut all the shit out of the way in the front of the case and put the 240mm rad there blowing out instead of in.....if you try to blow in all that hot air will be fed straight to the vc cooler. fuck that case sucks for what we need to do. How big is the area in front of the power supply? might be wide enough for a single fan rad? need to measure and see cause that would be the least amount of bullshit modding. It seems with all tha unused space a rad would be best in the front....see if there room to do with out cutting or with as little work cutting....sometimes you can remove stuff that that in the way.....youl have to see if you can open the bottom front up?

Those brackets in front look removable...are they?
Man I think you are right after, watching this video , I didnt really know much about case air flow. And that is probably a huge reason why I am getting the high temps on my overclocks.

Man I think you are right after, watching this video , I didnt really know much about case air flow. And that is probably a huge reason why I am getting the high temps on my overclocks.

Good airflow is very important.

I like the DIYPC D480 for the price, it comes with a good fan setup by default, five seemingly decent fans, and it has a two speed fan controller. You can also fit a 280mm radiator in the front and a 240mm radiator on the top.

With that setup, I would probably get a 240mm for the top, have the GPU rad in the back and leave the front fans in place so you aren't blowing hot air over your board/hard drives.

The Fractal Design R4 is also a good option if you need more storage options.

Last edited:
Good airflow is very important.

I like the DIYPC D480 for the price, it comes with a good fan setup by default, five seemingly decent fans, and it has a two speed fan controller. You can also fit a 280mm radiator in the front and a 240mm radiator on the top.

With that setup, I would probably get a 240mm for the top, have the GPU rad in the back and leave the front fans in place so you aren't blowing hot air over your board/hard drives.
Holy cow thats a lot of stuff for 60 bucks......Im usually eyeballing the fancy cases [H] reviews like the Case area....Some really nice stuff they look at....hell we all know perople who spend 60 bucks on a couple fans and an adapter lol....So for the money its little PLAIN but looks awesome to fit all your shit inside..and heck the no window is 48 bucks

Great, I've heard good things about that case too. Good luck!

Holy cow thats a lot of stuff for 60 bucks......Im usually eyeballing the fancy cases [H] reviews like the Case area....Some really nice stuff they look at....hell we all know perople who spend 60 bucks on a couple fans and an adapter lol....So for the money its little PLAIN but looks awesome to fit all your shit inside..and heck the no window is 48 bucks
Yep, it works well. I use it for my server, and have built a few machines for friends using it.

The panels are a little flimsy but it is solid when everything is together, and it is quiet on low mode. The finish is a little rough, but what can you expect for that price :D

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I really like this case...just keep in mind thats a FULL tower...I usually get MIDS myself so just be aware of the size

tbobb..Can one of those cases fit those dual socket boards? NM im broke;)

Anyways...what i do is think of all the rads i might want to install......you already know of one (the vc cooler) and then whatever your going to use for cpu cooling now or in the future.....if it has the perfect spots and fits the potential coolers then it work now or down the road. If your not sure just speed read the [H] reviews in the case section and it will help you a lot. My own personal case always have a least 4 fans..2 intake and 2 exhaust or close to itt...i like a lot of air flow

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I really like this case...just keep in mind thats a FULL tower...I usually get MIDS myself so just be aware of the size

tbobb..Can one of those cases fit those dual socket boards? NM im broke;)

Yep, I'm using a dual socket board, although it is standard ATX. I think I posted pictures a few pages back. It will also fit full E-ATX as well, so the larger dual 8pin boards will fit, just need to make sure you have the right PSU.

Edit: Here it is.

Phanteks Enthoo Introduction - Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Mid Tower Chassis Review
Fractal Design Define S Exterior - Fractal Design Define S Window Mid-Tower Chassis
Are both extremely impressive according to [H] reviews......read them before your committed on the case you picked out is all i recommend .

I do like the more modular cases. Those also allow 360mm rad on the top, so an AIO like the Thermaltake 3.0 Ultimate would fit, although it would also fit in the Enthoo Pro.

I went ahead and got the noctua NH-D15 cooler instead of an AIO. Cheaper and seems to get same temps as an h100i from what I have read.

I went ahead and got the noctua NH-D15 cooler instead of an AIO. Cheaper and seems to get same temps as an h100i from what I have read.
I wouldn't have recommended a D15 for 1366 because of the hassle to get the mounting kit. You'll need to send them proof of purchase for the cooler and a 1366 board, then it'll take up to two weeks to get it.

that is fine with me, I put in a request last night and got a confirmation email this morning "thanks for choosing a Noctua product and for your interest in our NM-I3 kit.

The requested parts will go out today, please expect a delivery time of 10-18 working days"

that is fine with me, I put in a request last night and got a confirmation email this morning "thanks for choosing a Noctua product and for your interest in our NM-I3 kit.

The requested parts will go out today, please expect a delivery time of 10-18 working days"

Sounds good. (y)

So I noticed on Ebay recently some unbranded x58 boards have shown up from china. They only have 2 ram slots and no real information can be found on them. I was curious if anyone has tried one? In the picture I can see ZX-x58 written on the board. If these could use the cheap 6 core xeons at about 80-100 bucks including shipping might be worth a gamble.

So I noticed on Ebay recently some unbranded x58 boards have shown up from china. They only have 2 ram slots and no real information can be found on them. I was curious if anyone has tried one? In the picture I can see ZX-x58 written on the board. If these could use the cheap 6 core xeons at about 80-100 bucks including shipping might be worth a gamble.
I doubt it would very well with six core chips, it looks like it only has four phases. Even if a six core would work, it would probably work poorly. And dual channel? Why?!

They look like this board but a different color, they claim it works with the x5650.

Before I would even consider that board, I'd get the DX58SO. Even if they don't overclock well, they will properly support the six core chips.

Last edited:
I just scored another 1366 rig off of CL, found this one and got it for $60. MSI X58 Pro-E, 6GB DDR3 1600, MSI HD6670, 500GB HDD and Windows Vista, 7, and 10 disks. It was a cyberpower prebuilt, never been overclocked. Time to pick up a new hex off of Ebay and see if the board will work with it. Supposedly the latest BIOS will run the 6-cores.

Took the pic after I started taking it apart so I can clean it up and put it in a better case.

IMG_0015.jpg

Enthoo-Pro-47.jpg

This should be what to expect on build day...Only problem i see is that back rad for the video card he has will be a little crowded for room. Perhaps the cpu cooler can be mounted to point up. Now if the video card cooler can reach the top it still might work out...but i dont know if it would reach the top in a full tower? This is why i said careful research is needed when picking parts. Worst case scenario i guess the vc rad can be mounted on the outside of the case in the back. Honestly im not sure about that. Actually it might reach the front or the bottom as well?

this cooler choice in itself should look good anyway

I just scored another 1366 rig off of CL, found this one and got it for $60. MSI X58 Pro-E, 6GB DDR3 1600, MSI HD6670, 500GB HDD and Windows Vista, 7, and 10 disks. It was a cyberpower prebuilt, never been overclocked. Time to pick up a new hex off of Ebay and see if the board will work with it. Supposedly the latest BIOS will run the 6-cores.

Took the pic after I started taking it apart so I can clean it up and put it in a better case.

Nice find! I got an MSI x58 Platinum given to me a while ago with pins bent pretty badly, was able to bend them back and it runs good. It doesn't overclock very well, but the x5670 works fine at 3.6ghz.

This should be what to expect on build day...Only problem i see is that back rad for the video card he has will be a little crowded for room. Perhaps the cpu cooler can be mounted to point up. Now if the video card cooler can reach the top it still might work out...but i dont know if it would reach the top in a full tower? This is why i said careful research is needed when picking parts. Worst case scenario i guess the vc rad can be mounted on the outside of the case in the back. Honestly im not sure about that. Actually it might reach the front or the bottom as well?

this cooler choice in itself should look good anyway

I think It'll be a tight fit, but it should fit. The radiator looks like it's about twice as thick as the fan in that photo. Just have to make sure to put the radiator in first, and obviously can't add a fan to the rear of the D15.

Last edited:
All safe in its new home with a much better PSU, now I just need to decide which chip I want to replace the i7-920 with. I guess it depends on what is cheap. I see there was a BIOS update 8.F in 2011 that included microcode, hopefully that helps.

IMG_0016.jpg

is that a Thermalright Macho cooler? What exact case is that? throw up some picks that show the hole thing lol I love how that cooler lines up with the exhaust fan

Yep sure is a Macho, its the newest revision I forget which one, comes with two fans but the back fan will interfere with exhaust fan on most cases, I also have some other big air coolers but this one seems to be the best for this application. The case is my old Fractal Define S, I just switched my main rig into an Air 504 from that one. The fans on the HD6670 were dead but it doesn't need them anyways.

I think I've settled on an X5660 right now, so I'll be ordering that and maybe some RAM that can overclock a bit because the stuff in there doesn't like to go over 1600mhz at all. I did a little testing with the i7-920 and it will boot to windows and do basic stuff at 200x18 for 3600mhz without any issue so that makes me hopeful for overclocking with this 5-phase board.

I'll see about getting some better pics up tomorrow or when my new chip comes in.

Update: looks like my p6t deluxe v2 may have bit the dust. Tried everything i know to diagnosr. I get no beeps with ram installed. I get a single beep with no ram, and an immediate shutdown. All tested with components out of case and no monitor hooked up. My pc just froze and shutdown suddenly and would not start back up. Had no overclock applied at the time.

Everything i tried

Switch several gpu
Switch cpu i7920
Switched ram around
Reset bios
Tried diffrrent power supply

The fans will run if i unplug the 4 pin connrctor. Otherwise it just starts for a couple seconds and shuts off

Ok looks like removing the cmos battery completely fixes the problem. Will verify tomorrow, not sure if battery just died

I have had the bios glitch on occasion, most of us would have done a long cmos reset.....take the battery out and move the jumper..ect ect. .....its highly unusual for the cpu to just go bad unless using unsafe voltages which no of us should be doing anyway. Be careful switching cpus.....sometimes people bend pins lol. The fact your pc froze at all would be concerning. Were you doing anything out of the ordinary? Or maybe you just havent dialed in stable voltages yet? Heck my board needs certain voltages weather its overclocked or not...its just funny that way

I had no oc applied. But recently i installed a usb 3 adapter in the little pcie slot not sure if that did anything

Ok looks like removing the cmos battery completely fixes the problem. Will verify tomorrow, not sure if battery just died
When I received my P6T6 I had some very strange issues, it would randomly reboot, some of the fan headers wouldn't work and sometimes I wouldn't get any signal on first power on. I was stumped.
Then I noticed that the bios reset when I unplugged the power. I checked the voltage on the battery and it was completely dead. Swapped the battery with a good one and all of the issues completely disappeared.

I've noticed strange issues on other boards if I removed the battery and booted it up that way, but nothing quite like the fan headers not working.

When I was traveling for work I ran Into to an issue where my PC would freeze if I bumped it.....was just a partially loose card. Reseated all the cards and it never happened again.
With that being said replacing the battery sounds like good advice as it's probably is getting low anyway. Just double check everything's seated while your at it.

I've had this mobo since 2009 and have ran into the ground since then :p so ya. For now I just took it out and put it back in , everything is working fine .... for now...

After a lot of thought and consideration I decide to upgrade my system, and will be selling my Asus p6t deluxe v2 , and x5670. I will post it on the classifieds if anyone interested just PM me.

Another X5670 is officially dead, added to the pile of dead xeon's (which now stands at a grand total of 4).

I pulled my R3E from my water cooled box and absent mindedly left the BIOS alone, gave the system to someone to build in to a new box, he strapped a heatsink to it but it must have cooked pretty quick at 4.4Ghz on air with the amount of volts I had cranking through it. I bought a second hand i7 960 for $90 locally just to make sure it wasn't the board, and thankfully it works.

Not really a big deal but still a little sad that I can't pass on a 6 core to the recipient of this machine, I still haven't decided where it's going. The irony is, I have an H110 that was meant for this system but the box doesn't have space to mount it.

Another X5670 is officially dead, added to the pile of dead xeon's (which now stands at a grand total of 4).

I pulled my R3E from my water cooled box and absent mindedly left the BIOS alone, gave the system to someone to build in to a new box, he strapped a heatsink to it but it must have cooked pretty quick at 4.4Ghz on air with the amount of volts I had cranking through it. I bought a second hand i7 960 for $90 locally just to make sure it wasn't the board, and thankfully it works.

Not really a big deal but still a little sad that I can't pass on a 6 core to the recipient of this machine, I still haven't decided where it's going. The irony is, I have an H110 that was meant for this system but the box doesn't have space to mount it.

I'm surprised that you managed to kill so many chips. Out of curiosity, what was your CPU voltage?

From what I understand, it's only if you push the QPI/Uncore voltage above 1.35v do you run the risk of borking it. I have run up to 1.425v for some suicide benches, and the chip (thankfully) doesn't seem any worse for wear.

Check the first page, you won't be surprised.

Haha, your an adventerous soul. I thank you for your sacrifices so that the community can learn from your testing.

PS: I really hope your not as curious to muck around with your 5960x. Killing a $150 chips is bad enough, but a $1200 chip would be a real kick in the pants.

If im not mistaken MOST if not all his chips were delidded (I believe) and begs the question if that played any role on what happened. It could have been some kind of failure on the board itself as im sure (sending higher voltage than whats reported?) could definitely do that.....That Depends on if they all died on the same exact board. I can see how where mine used to be about 90% stable at 4400mhz (never 100%)...these days when i test it at that clock it fails every time. Gives me the impression these chips sorta breakdown over time.

If im not mistaken MOST if not all his chips were delidded (I believe) and begs the question if that played any role on what happened. It could have been some kind of failure on the board itself as im sure (sending higher voltage than whats reported?) could definitely do that.....That Depends on if they all died on the same exact board. I can see how where mine used to be about 90% stable at 4400mhz (never 100%)...these days when i test it at that clock it fails every time. Gives me the impression these chips sorta breakdown over time.

After the last delid died I purchased two more X5670s off ebay and left the lids on, One of those is still working well in my office server at stock clocks. I did kill an ES xeon, an i7, a X5670 which were all delidded. The most recent deaths on the R3E were the delidded X5670 (which WAS working on my P6X58-D) and now this one with the lid on which was working with watercooling. I suspect you may be right about the voltage primetime, it may have been higher than reported because it was set to 1.35V however I was not putting it together myself, I gave it to a friend to build and he may not have put enough thermal paste or who knows, all I know is it came back to me dead :(

Haha, your an adventerous soul. I thank you for your sacrifices so that the community can learn from your testing.

PS: I really hope your not as curious to muck around with your 5960x. Killing a $150 chips is bad enough, but a $1200 chip would be a real kick in the pants.

Your not wrong. Like a happy idiot I actually murdered my first R5E by bending the socket pins, I'm still trying to RMA the damn thing for repair, in the mean time I'm out $800. I only seem to be dumb enough to bend pins on expensive or hard to replace boards, the last one I killed was a P6X58-D but was lucky to find a cheap replacement on ebay despite it being 5+ years old.

I always felt like your were one of the more experienced members (fuck i bet you were pissed when YOU yourself bent the pins!!) I cant imagine the cuss words that was flying around) GOSH DAM IT TO HELL!!! lol Cause Its not like you didn't fully already know better:wtf:..Everyone can have those days it seems. I have those days at work and at home lol

Hello,

I was wondering what power supply do you guys recommend for a xeon build. I just picked up the x5650 after watching a video of it on youtube. This guy had a overclocked x5650 @ 4.0ghz and GTX 970 @ 1550mhz. The problem is that the power consumption was 700w! This is insane, I only have a 650w at the moment. If I plan to pick up a higher end card like a 980ti or fury x then there is no way I'll be able to run it. Everyone says 650w is good enough nowadays for a high end single gpu setup, but what if I'm pairing it up with a overclocked x5650?

Back