• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

1366 vs. 1156

vkaraoke

n00b
Joined
Jun 30, 2008
Messages
40
I'm not too familiar with some of the new stuff that came out but it's an interesting read for those whole are more tech savvy.


http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16729/1/

Let's keep it simple: the Socket 1366 platform is obsolete. The turbo modes are very limiting and the three channel memory setup gives only a slight advantage. Of course, Socket 1366 CPUs don't come cheap either. The quite new i5 CPU is much easier to overclock and it's not that hard to achieve higher memory speeds.

Considering system cost, then the P55 platform is the clear winner. We have already proven that Hyperthreading/SMT is more or less a marketing gimmick. It works only with very few applications and in highly optimized applications such as x264 or games, it decreases performance. That's also the reason why we did not consider to use the i7-800 CPU series for this review.

Looking for the best performance money can buy, we recommend the i5-750 CPU. If you need SLI or Crossfire, shop for boards with an additional NF200 chip to get the most out of your two graphics cards, otherwise the P55 does just fine.
 
I guess the playing field is fairly even for now, however isn't 1366 getting "hexacore" CPUs?
 
That may as well be the case. However, isn't there a better price : performance ratio that favors the i5 over the i7?
 
That may as well be the case. However, isn't there a better price : performance ratio that favors the i5 over the i7?

It depends. Some people who go the Core i5 route tends to spend just as much on a P55 motherboard as they would for a X58 motherboard. In addition, you don't need triple-channel RAM. So at most, the price difference is only $80 to $100. The price difference is pretty much non-existent if you go with a Core i7/P55 route.

So what exactly does that $80 to $100 for a Core i7/X58 gets you over a Core i5 setup? More RAM slots, HT support, and future six-core CPU support.

In addition, that "review" only had three applications for the LGA1366 VS LGA 1156 testing: one game, one 3D synthetic app, and one supposed gaming benchmarking app. Not enough of a sample size to get a solid conclusion. So once again, an incomplete and poorly thought out review/article from Fudzilla which is par for course for Fudzilla.
 
Hard to overclock? Is this guy still riding the short bus or something? i7 has been the easiest overclocking platform I've seen. 754 was tougher, 939 was tougher, and my Q6600 took forever to get a good, stable oc on. 10 minutes with an i7 and I'm at 4ghz. It doesn't get too much easier. I imagine the i5 would be pretty similar.

As has been said the 1366 is getting 6 core chips, has the ability to take more ram, and really isn't much more expensive if you start looking at high-end 1156 mobos and buy the same ram. But you have to pay to play.

The ONLY thing that worries me is Intel's desire to discontinue a product rather than drop prices. I don't want to spend $400 on a CPU.


Of course AMD hasn't had anything compelling since 939 so...
 
let's not forget the 1366 socket has pci-e lanes to support dual x16 pci-e cards, whereas the 1156 can only handle x8/x8 configuration
 
why do people keep bring the i9 in to this its going to be an $800+ CPU if you have that much to spend sure then get a 1366 setup now
but for most people i know my self included i have almost never done a CPU drop in only
by the time my CPU is "slow" ill want a new Mobo any way with PCIe 3.0 and native SATA3 etc...
 
why do people keep bring the i9 in to this its going to be an $800+ CPU if you have that much to spend sure then get a 1366 setup now
but for most people i know my self included i have almost never done a CPU drop in only
by the time my CPU is "slow" ill want a new Mobo any way with PCIe 3.0 and native SATA3 etc...

Yes.. CPU Prices never drop. 6 cores will always cost 800$. Always. Tard
 
LOL @ 1366 being obsolete. It was my observations that 1156 might be obsolete since there's no new architecture coming out for it as of right now..? And my 920 was the easiest OC I've ever had too with a 50%+ OC. That article is completely retarded.

Oh, and HT DOES make a significant difference in a lot of the applications that I use. For folding, I can dedicate 8 cores in my Linux VM which will use all of my threads and this is absolutely detrimental in order for me to achieve the bonus points for completing the work unit in time. With only 4 threads/cores used, its performance would literally half without HT enabled. Also, there's games that do take advantage of the extra threads such as the new Ghostbusters game which utilizes all 8 threads for physics processing (havoc?). I'm sure more games will be taking advantage of HT and extra cores as well.
 
Last edited:
Yes.. CPU Prices never drop. 6 cores will always cost 800$. Always. Tard

your missing the point yes the price will drop
but by the time it does and by the time my i7 feels "slow" there will but 8 or 10 core
and im sure ill want new motherboard then too
an i7 at 3.6 is overkill for just about every thing atm and i9 wont be out till the 2nd half of next year at best and only at the top end then too
figure that itll take 6 to 12 months to drop in price PCI-e 3.0 will be out by then AND whos to say there wont be a X68 chipset with support for 8 core? why not wait for that then get a cheap i9 when the price drops?

calling some a a "tard" is hardly a logical argument
 
1366 isn't obsolete. There's tons of threads about which is better. Also, from what I've seen they overclock to about the same.

It just comes down's to what YOU want, and what fits YOUR needs/pocketbook.

I like the i7(1366) because of triple memory, 6 DIMM slots, upcoming cpu's, HT, and works great.
 
Lawl? The 1366 platform obsolete? If anything, it's more future proof than the 1156 platform. The X58 chipset supports future Gulftown Core i9 processors. And in Q1 2010 the Core i7 930 will replace the current Core i7 920, so that's another upgrade option. And his point about how the Core i5 750 is supposedly easier to overclock is ridiculous too. Bloomfields are easier to overclock, because with Bloomfield, you don't have to worry about an ondie PCIe controller. The 1366 platform is also much more mature. Motherboards have gone through multiple revisions already and most boards have a solid BIOS. And as said before, the additional PCIe lanes that the X58 provides is yet another clear advantage.

Socket 1156 = Mainstream
Socket 1366 = High-end
 
I'm planning to upgrade to 1366 because X58 has enough PCI-E lanes to support high end graphics and full-speed SATA 6gbps at the same time, whereas 1156 doesn't.

Every SATA 6gbps implementation for 1156 has drawbacks: Gigabyte reduces graphics card slot bandwidth to x8, while ASUS gives the controller only two PCIe1.1 lanes (4Gbps total), which is somehow supposed to feed two 6Gbps ports... right.

If a P55 board comes out with an nforce 200 PCI-E bridge to provide the needed lanes for both x16 graphics and RAID 0 SATA 6gbps, then I might consider the P55 platform.
 
I'm planning to upgrade to 1366 because X58 has enough PCI-E lanes to support high end graphics and full-speed SATA 6gbps at the same time, whereas 1156 doesn't.

Every SATA 6gbps implementation for 1156 has drawbacks: Gigabyte reduces graphics card slot bandwidth to x8, while ASUS gives the controller only two PCIe1.1 lanes (4Gbps total), which is somehow supposed to feed two 6Gbps ports... right.

If a P55 board comes out with an nforce 200 PCI-E bridge to provide the needed lanes for both x16 graphics and RAID 0 SATA 6gbps, then I might consider the P55 platform.

thanks for that info.. I wasn't pay attention to the trickery that was going on just to slap those usb 3.0 and Sata 6 ports on there.

That is why i'm went X58 and will just throw in a add on card for SATA 6. USB 3.0 don't really care for as I use ESATA for my external hard drives which already is equal in speed.
 
your missing the point yes the price will drop
but by the time it does and by the time my i7 feels "slow" there will but 8 or 10 core
and im sure ill want new motherboard then too
an i7 at 3.6 is overkill for just about every thing atm and i9 wont be out till the 2nd half of next year at best and only at the top end then too
figure that itll take 6 to 12 months to drop in price PCI-e 3.0 will be out by then AND whos to say there wont be a X68 chipset with support for 8 core? why not wait for that then get a cheap i9 when the price drops?

calling some a a "tard" is hardly a logical argument

that's how i see it too.

i don't have money to do a cpu drop in replacement alone, every year or so.

so when cpu needs an upgrade i do cpu motherboard and gfx at the same time.
 
You're missing the point. Yes, the price will drop. But by the time it does, and by the time my i7 feels "slow", there will but 8- or 10-core. And I'm sure I'll want a new motherboard then, too. An i7 at 3.6 is overkill for just about every thing ATM and i9 won't be out till the 2nd half of next year at best. And only at the top end then, too. Figure that it'll take 6 to 12 months to drop in price. PCI-e 3.0 will be out by then AND who's to say there won't be an X68 chipset with support for 8-core? Why not wait for that, then get a cheap i9 when the price drops?
+1. I used to ride my horse from thread to thread posting this, but I gave up. This and the old X8-X8 vs. X16-X16 debate. Meh, let people think what they want. ;)

And why do people keep trying to kill off the two newest sockets from Intel? Neither of these sockets is obsolete, or "on its way out".
 
I believe these days upgrading PC hardware every 6months is diminishing returns, before it was obvious to upgrade every 6-12 months because something new and better had came along, now, I can go ahead and drop in a i9 when it becomes affordable and still be with an adequate PC.
 
I believe these days upgrading PC hardware every 6months is diminishing returns, before it was obvious to upgrade every 6-12 months because something new and better had came along, now, I can go ahead and drop in a i9 when it becomes affordable and still be with an adequate PC.

I agree anything with a Quadcore is so fast that you really just need to make sure you have a enough ram and a fast enough videocard.

Alot of this is also because most of the game developers are now dumbing down our games so they play and run well on a console :rolleyes:
 
If the 2x2GB G skill 2000MHz ram wasn't so cheap, and I could go back in time, I would have gotten a D0 920 rather than my 860.
 
If the 2x2GB G skill 2000MHz ram wasn't so cheap, and I could go back in time, I would have gotten a D0 920 rather than my 860.

if I could go back in time, I would memorize lotto numbers before I go :D
 
+1. I used to ride my horse from thread to thread posting this, but I gave up. This and the old X8-X8 vs. X16-X16 debate. Meh, let people think what they want. ;)

And why do people keep trying to kill off the two newest sockets from Intel? Neither of these sockets is obsolete, or "on its way out".

i think theres a lot of new blood that hasnt seen how this works yet there is ALWAYS some thing new 6 months out never think you can just upgrade then
i could of go an i7 when they frist droped but i waited till i felt i needed it

i dont need an i9 thank you sure id take it if some one gave me one but im not going to shell out 800 for a CPU day one
and by the time i can get one for <300 ill just get a new mobo then too with the newest stuff on it
 
Fudo is funny. Guess I better chunk this X58 system out ASAP.
 
I wonder how much Intel has vested in 1366, or if its a stop-gap to something bigger...
 
""Looking for the best performance money can buy," he recommends an i5 750? lolwut? And the socket 1156 CPUs are easier to overclock? Talk about misinformation. There's benefits and drawbacks to each socket, you have to choose what you want most and go from there.
 
Back
Top