• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$1300 Build. Need some assistance

Potatocodone

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 30, 2008
Messages
4,859
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
-Gaming such as WoW
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
-Budget is $1300. But less would better. Maybe $800~1000. This includes tax + shipping
3) Where do you live?
-Charlotte, NC (Zipcode: 28262)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
-Everything in a tower and good speakers. No keyboard, mouse or monitor.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
-Reusing keyboard, mouse, and monitor. She has an external 2TB hard-drive also.
6) Will you be overclocking?
-Not so really
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
-40" LCD 1080p TV will be use as a monitor
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
-Within the next week or so
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
-No need for Crossfire/SLI/Raid/Firewire. USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps would be nice
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
-Windows 7 Pro x64 from my University

--------------------------------------------

My friend is on a really old AMD Duron PC with 512MB memory and a sucky 5500FX card. I am surprise she tries to play WoW on it with her 40" LCD TV.

Anyhow shes ready for a good over haul upgrade and shes semi-tech savvy. She is incline only on Intel and Nvidia but I manage to convince her to give ATi a try. I am a bit out of date with Nvidia and their new 400-series card so if you guys think it would be better to go with Nvidia just meantion why. Thanks. Also she has been eyeballing the ATI 5850 card now.

She is hoping for an Intel i7 with an SSD. Not too sure if she wants a hdd for storage since she has a 2TB drive but I'll figure it out. For now I think it would be good to throw in a storage drive.

Cliffnotes:
She wants:
-Intel i7
-SSD
-Maybe ATi 5850
 
Thanks It_shiro

Can I ask why the GTX 460? I am a bit out of date with nvidia.
 
Putting a list together. Can I a recommendation on other SSDs? I really do not know much about SSDs.

What about Corsair SSDs? I hear they are pretty good.
 
Intel SSDs are still pretty good:
$225 - Intel SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SSD
 
Back
Top