+12V, acceptable drop

bing

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 11, 2008
Messages
280
I'm running the mushkin PSU in my sig. I recently upgraded to a 9800GTX+ and noticed the +12V line drops to as low as 11.77V under heavy load. Is this normal? Acceptable? The other voltages all seem a bit more stable than the 12V line.

By 'heavy load' I mean IntelBurnTest + FurMark concurrently.

Unfortunately I didn't check this using my old GPU. It ran much cooler and quieter, and was quite stable, so I didn't think to check.

I have another PSU that I could swap to test but it would be a real pain,,, so any clues about this would be appreciated.
 
Are you using some software to monitor your voltages or a digital multimeter?

If software, ignore the readings completely. Software doesn't provide even a remotely close, good, or accurate idea of your PSU voltages. Use a digitial multi-meter to get an accurate reading of your voltages:
http://www.bfgpower.com/troubleshooting.html#DMM

If digital multimeter, 11.77V is still acceptable.
 
Thank you for the link and info! I was relying on CPUID HWMonitor.
 
voltmeters are the way to go, as long as its a half way decent one.

My ASUS board has a voltage monitoring thing with ASUS probe. It usually reads 11.95V on the 12V, while my BK tech voltmeter reads 12.03-12.09Volts on the line

K-TRON
 
Back
Top