120Hz LCD Info Thread

I don't understand why you guys are talking about Plasmas in this thread at all, Don't get me wrong I love them but... not as a computer monitor. The picture is too soft for text in my opinion and burnin would be just terrible having a static web browser open multiple hours a day.

Text looks fine at the native res...and burn in is gone these days. Retention? Sure. Burn in? No.

Well, ended up with the VG236, and I must say I'm impressed, overall.

This is my first TN panel in ~8 years, and the difference in static images, for example my desktop, from the restricted viewing angles is frankly pretty jarring.

However, I really don't notice this in gaming, and at least I don't have to deal with IPS glow. 120Hz is pretty damned cool. I'd argue that you actually end up with better IQ on such a panel simply because things remain sharp even with movement.

Seriously? We have had like 100 threads on this site asking the same thing....it is not happening.

Lighting bleeding is just as bad on IPS as TN, except you have to deal with aggressive AG coating and the response time as well.

Turn down the brightness
That is not true. My 2209WA had absolutely zero lightbleed. Nil. Even if you look with a microscope.

All my 3 120Hz TN's have had a horrible lightbleed, two of which so bad that you could spot it even when at non-dark spots and my current W2363D I can just barely watch movies without it getting too intrusive. It's just lightbleed lightbleed lightbleed. A goddamn scam.

That is not true. My 2209WA had absolutely zero lightbleed. Nil. Even if you look with a microscope.

All my 3 120Hz TN's have had a horrible lightbleed, two of which so bad that you could spot it even when at non-dark spots and my current W2363D I can just barely watch movies without it getting too intrusive. It's just lightbleed lightbleed lightbleed. A goddamn scam.

You got lucky. IIRC the 2209WA was plagued with such issues, and mine was no exception (this isn't even speaking of IPS glow). Read reviews of these monitors and you'll see that IPS and TN generally are around the same black levels, with uniformity having more to do with cost than panel type, at least from what I've seen. *VA monitors are where it's at for black levels / contrast ratio.

Really is a shame that there *still* isn't one solid, obvious choice for gamers. Some day...

TN panels still have a big lead over IPS in terms of black levels and are now approaching S-PVA levels (1000:1) along with a few E-IPS panels .

Uniformity/light bleeding is just as bad on both, but I'll take the vertical gamma (not noticeable in games/fmovies) shift+higher contrast+faster response time over AG coating and glow any day. For a hardcore gamer TN is still the only way to go, if it wasn't for the AG coating IPS would be better for the non-hardcore.

P.S. have you tried your Asus 120hz panel @60hz? I know some people purchase the 120hz panels for console+PC use, I'm sure some potential buyers would be interested in the 60hz response time. You can dl PixerPixAn to see or use the Digital Versus test.

You got lucky. IIRC the 2209WA was plagued with such issues, and mine was no exception (this isn't even speaking of IPS glow). Read reviews of these monitors and you'll see that IPS and TN generally are around the same black levels, with uniformity having more to do with cost than panel type, at least from what I've seen. *VA monitors are where it's at for black levels / contrast ratio.

Really is a shame that there *still* isn't one solid, obvious choice for gamers. Some day...

I think you are confusing black levels with light bleeding. With IPS panels you are unlucky if you get light bleed, with TN you could win the lotto every week if you get one without light bleed or one with really minimal light bleed.

TN panels still have a big lead over IPS in terms of black levels and are now approaching S-PVA levels (1000:1) along with a few E-IPS panels .

Uniformity/light bleeding is just as bad on both, but I'll take the vertical gamma (not noticeable in games/fmovies) shift+higher contrast+faster response time over AG coating and glow any day. For a hardcore gamer TN is still the only way to go, if it wasn't for the AG coating IPS would be better for the non-hardcore.

P.S. have you tried your Asus 120hz panel @60hz? I know some people purchase the 120hz panels for console+PC use, I'm sure some potential buyers would be interested in the 60hz response time. You can dl PixerPixAn to see or use the Digital Versus test.

I still find 1000:1 to look horrible tbh :/

the lg is now already below 200EUR in germany
a bargain for gaming-use

you could buy a 2333t for watching movies and casual stuff
its cheap, great colors, 72hz, lowest lightbleed i've ever seen in a tft

I highly doubt it had none...Pretty much all LCDs have it...

the lg is now already below 200EUR in germany
a bargain for gaming-use

you could buy a 2333t for watching movies and casual stuff
its cheap, great colors, 72hz, lowest lightbleed i've ever seen in a tft

Isn't the ghosting noticeable in films though?

Took a look at those this morning but couldn't quite figure out what I was doing. I'll give it another shot, probably this weekend.

TN panels still have a big lead over IPS in terms of black levels and are now approaching S-PVA levels (1000:1) along with a few E-IPS panels.

No matter how many times you repeat that tripe, it's still not true.

Ok, because 700:1 contrast is higher than 1000:1. Smart

Ok, because 700:1 contrast is higher than 1000:1. Smart

You're assuming that contrast ratios aren't fudged to the point of being meaningless, and you're also mingling contrast ratios and black levels. Claiming that a TN panel can have a black level approaching that of an S-PVA is ridiculous. Were you talking about contrast ratios or black levels when you said what I quoted?

is there a 27" 1920x1080p True120Hz monitor out there allready or have they all agreed to delay release....

Some info:

"The LG E2770V shares many of the specifications of the E2370V – with the same 1920 x 1080 resolution, 14ms ISO response time (6ms grey to grey), WLED backlight and 178°/168° viewing angles. What’s more (all going well) this will be the most affordable 27-inch IPS computer monitor launched to date – with a recommended retail price of $439.99. Although not officially confirmed on the spec. sheet we have received confirmation from a reliable source closely allied with LG that the monitor will indeed ship with an IPS panel for superior viewing angles and colour reproduction. There were some initial issues with supplying what is a brand new IPS panel for the E2770V but it seems they have been ironed out – hopefully we will see this panel incorprated into computer monitors from other manufacturers, too.

LG is also keen to highlight ‘Tru Motion 120Hz’ capability which is a frame interpolation technology developed primarily for LG TVs to help smooth out motion. Unfortunately this isn’t a ‘true 120Hz’ technology and there are still some real obstacles preventing IPS monitor responsiveness reaching the levels of 120Hz TN panels (see this article). Despite this the LG E2770V still presents an interesting proposition for those looking for a large and affordable IPS monitor for gaming and other tasks. Another interesting point to note is that the monitor bezel and stand appears to be brushed metal (as with the E2370V) and LG will feature the input-lag minimising ‘Thru Mode’ as they have on the E2770V’s smaller cousin – all in all a promising package from LG. No specific release date has been given but the monitor is available to preorder in the United States for $439.99."
http://www.pcmonitors.org/news/lg-e2770v-coming-soon

What exactly would result of a 120hz Interpolated monitor with supposedly no input lag. The one mentioned above likely has quite a bit with tru motion enabled, even with thru-put mode.

In a theoretical world if this was possible i assume it'd help smooth things out, but it'd sill look awkward, or would it?

"LG is also keen to highlight ‘Tru Motion 120Hz’ capability which is a frame interpolation technology developed primarily for LG TVs to help smooth out motion. Unfortunately this isn’t a ‘true 120Hz’ technology and there are still some real obstacles preventing IPS monitor responsiveness reaching the levels of 120Hz TN panels (see this article).

Oh, for fuck's sake, I guess they thought consumers weren't confused enough about what 120Hz means.

What exactly would result of a 120hz Interpolated monitor with supposedly no input lag. The one mentioned above likely has quite a bit with tru motion enabled, even with thru-put mode.

In a theoretical world if this was possible i assume it'd help smooth things out, but it'd sill look awkward, or would it?

If you use it for gaming, it's still a 60Hz monitor. The interpolation does no good whatsoever for gaming, and would in fact be worse, because you would have every other frame potentially showing action not in agreement with what the user is actually doing. No thank you, not interested.

It doesn't look like this thread is being updated anymore...

As far as I can tell the Asus VG278H is the best 27" option available now if you care about 3D Vision. Is there anything else in the pipeline that might be better?

Back