• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

12 volt rail is really low... Why?

Viper87227

Fully [H]
Joined
Jun 2, 2004
Messages
18,017
I have a PC Power and Cooling 425W PSU, its a damn nice one, so it should have pretty stable volts, no? the 3.3 is at 3.38, thats fine... 5.0 is at 5.12, also fine. My 12.0 is at 7.12, yikes. I never noticed it that low till now, when I got my new motherboard and starting overclocking, using MBM5 Dashboard to monitor temps on monitor 2 while i play games. I know it was like 12.05 last time i checked it, when i 1st got this PSU. The thing is, I am getting some odd overclocking results. 2.03Ghz is stable as a rock all stock volts, 2.07Ghz isnt stable no matter what volts/dividers I try. Coudl this be related to the low 12 volt rail? Why would it be so low, and how can i get it back up? Something just isnt right, my PSU should not be doing this
 
If you had 7v on the 12v rail i dont think your PC would boot ;)

Try checking with a multimeter, bios readings are notoriously bad, and mbm5 just looks at the bios.
 
don't have a multimeter. MBM5 has been acting quircky tho, probably because I have a KV8 Pro and it only supports a KV8-MAXX3. Ist her another program I could use to test it? Also, While playing CSS, i just got an error that my graphics card wasnt getting enough power and it underclocked itself. I dont thing so, with a few fans, 2 cdroms, and 2 video cards, I should ahve more than enough power to go around.
 
sure have, for some reason or another, uGuru doesnt report back ont eh 12 + rail, doensnt even give me the option to. I can do 5.0, 3.3, Dual 3.3 (wahtever that is), and that is it. I think that may be part of it, for some reason my bios doesnt pull it down, adn MBM5 is posting a different voltage. I fiexed the power issue, but sims 2 is still being a bitch, time to reinstall that.
 
nevermind, video card not getting enough power error is back....wtf. Anyone know of a software based voltage checker that doesnt read from the BIOS itself?
 
Well, theres probably a 5 year warranty on the PSU - did you give PCP&C a call yet and ask for advice? They might be able to help.
 
7.12V? wtf...

do you have another computer running somewhere? get a 12V case fan and plug it into your "7.12V" system, then plug it into the other computer and see if the fan runs at a different speed. It'll be easy to spot, because a fan at 7V runs obscenely slow... If it runs at a "regular" speed, then MBM is completely out to lunch.

But to know for sure, get a multimeter.
 
gee said:
7.12V? wtf...

do you have another computer running somewhere? get a 12V case fan and plug it into your "7.12V" system, then plug it into the other computer and see if the fan runs at a different speed. It'll be easy to spot, because a fan at 7V runs obscenely slow... If it runs at a "regular" speed, then MBM is completely out to lunch.

But to know for sure, get a multimeter.


While, I cannot monitor there speed coz they dont use 3 pin plugs, but there just as loud as they ysed to be.
 
My guess would be that it's MBM messing up. If the voltage was dipping that low you'd be seeing almost instant crashes and lockups. On top of that you'd hear the fan speeds changing.
 
good, I guess I will blame my weird ass overclocking results on something else.
 
Yeah, my MBM claims that I have 0V on the -5V rail! Hehe ... just ignore the readings that you know to be horribly wrong unless they all of a sudden change! Then you know that there's a problem other than the BIOS sucking.
 
Back
Top