$1100 gaming computer

Hikaru IchijoSL

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming first person shooters and diablo 3, photography GIMP, Web browsing.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1100 is my upper limit less would be better. This is with tax and shipping and before any mail in rebates.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

USA Phoenix, AZ

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case
CPU
GPU
PSU
Soundcard
OS
Hard Drive
Ram
DVD Burner

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Microsoft Natural Keyboard 4000, Logitech G7 Mouse, Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes (but will wait on that)

7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Viewsonic 20" 1680x1050, will be going to 27" 1080p within a month or two

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
this week

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
USB 3.0, sata 6gb/s,sli support

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
no

I having been using a netbook since my computer a p4 w2k got corrupted I think it is time to upgrade.

I had a few ideas, any better options tell me.

case corsair 400r
motherboard gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 (would prefer asus)
cpu intel i5-2500k
1tb hd
8gb ram

Last edited:
If you wait another week bulldozer will be released, supposedly October 12th, most likely that will change the prices on things. If it's good you can save money on the AMD build over Intel.

If you'd be willing to wait a few more days, Newegg's October combo deals should be rolling out. These are instant rebates, not mail in ones.

Like, duh! Go Intel:

$220 - Intel Core i5 2500K
$26 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
$120 - Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
$42 - G.Skill Value Series 2x4Gb DDR3 1333
$65 - Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.D HDS721010DLE630 (0F13180) 1TB SATA 6Gb/s HDD
$19 - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS SATA DVD burner
$460 - EVGA 012-P3-1571-AR GTX 570 and Corsair HX750 combo
$205 - Corsair 400R and Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM combo
=====
$1157 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

OK, I overdid it a little, but there are ways to shave a few price corners. The i5-2500K currently has a $15 off promo code that expires on Wednesday, October 19. The optical drive has a free shipping promo code itself that also expires on that Wednesday. In addition to the combo deal, the Corsair HX750 also has a promo code (in this case, a 10% instant discount) that expires on Wednesday. If you buy everything before Wednesday, you'll save $30 off the bat (plus have free shipping on everything) using promo codes.

If that's too close for comfort, you could omit the Hyper 212 Plus for the time being. However, the price of the CPU cooler tends to fluctuate from time to time, and it can go as high as $60 on some days (even though its MSRP is supposed to be $30).

Another way to reduce costs (without impacting performance) is to replace the Corsair HX750 with the non-modular TX750 V2. You'd lose the combo deal with the video card, which provided an instant $20 discount -- let's assume, for argument's sake, that the discount went all towards the HX750 -- but the comparatively cheaper TX750 V2 has the same 10% discount promo code as the HX750.

I know that you preferred an Asus motherboard, but the Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 is one of the best deals around for any Intel Socket 1155 board.

I would like to amend the comp a bit

price closer to 1k

560ti video card

I am getting a dell u2412m screen and this gpu will let me run at full res and max settings or am i wrong.

I decided no sli but I would still like a modular gpu not necessary except for cleanliness.

does the mobo support 3tb+ hard drives.

I think I will buy the os and case separately the case is $100 at amazon so no need for any mail-in-rebate.

Last edited:
The GTX 560 Ti will not max out your frame rates in most modern (DX10/DX11) FPSes. I can't speak on its performance in Diablo III as we don't have the final version of the game available yet.

To push the build closer to $1000, in addition to omitting the Hyper 212 Plus, you need to consider switching out the case, video card, and power supply (and possibly forgoing the modular cables).

$220 - Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti
$120 - Corsair HX650 650W PSU
$70 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX mid-tower case

The new total after the aforementioned changes becomes $976, but that's not including a 10% discount promo code that the Lian Li PC-K58 has (which expires on Friday, October 21). But how important are max frame rates and high visual quality to you?

Yes, the TX650 V2 PSU is good.

But I need to reemphasize that the GTX 560 Ti may not be enough (on its own) for your needs. First-person shooters are generally among the most graphically-intensive games around.

If SLI may be in the future, grab one of the Corsair 750 watt power supplies now.

but the motherboard has no usb 3.0 header for the case with usb 3.0 on it. I am getting the 750 watt non modular psu.

Back