110-240v surge protector?

IcarusSC

Gawd
I travel a lot, and I'm in need of a surge protector that can take a wide range of voltages. I know a lot of people on here recommend a UPS, but I really can't spend more than $50, and I will be using it with a PCF power supply, so that's something, anyway. I can't seem to find anything reliable-looking on my regular sites (Newegg, ZZF, Tigerdirect). Anyone have a recommendation?

Sorry, but bite the bullet and get a travel surge protector for each voltage. They have different plugs and such so it's not going to save you space getting them in one unit.

Fair enough, then. Can anyone recommend a reliable 240v surge protector? The most popular brands (APC, Cyberpower) don't appear to sell anything in 240 that I can find.

Fair enough, then. Can anyone recommend a reliable 240v surge protector? The most popular brands (APC, Cyberpower) don't appear to sell anything in 240 that I can find.

Buy one when you get there. In Europe they are 15 to 20 euros.

Well, that's part of the problem. I'm not in Europe, or I would. I'm in China, and my experience with the tech here has been inconsistent at best. Since I'm using this to protect my computer, I'm not to keen on getting something that I'm not sure will work and I have no way to test.

OK, I am dumb. I said I had checked all the usual places, and I had ... except Amazon. :rolleyes: Thanks for your help anyways!

OK, I am dumb. I said I had checked all the usual places, and I had ... except Amazon. :rolleyes: Thanks for your help anyways!

One could probably live exclusively by buying everything they need from Amazon.

Unfortunately, surge protector is line voltage specific. A 120v rated surge protector is rated to clamp (basically shorting over voltage to ground) at 210v peak (normal 120v line is peak).

A surge protector rated for 120v will burst into a flame if connected to a 240v source. The clamping voltage on a 240v surge protector is too high and it wouldn't be very effective on a 120v line. Since laptops are designed for 94-264v (and anything that does not use 115/230v switch) at any given time, you could go with a 240v rated surge protector and it should be fine anywhere you go.

That provantage listing is full of errors. That one is rated for 120v. NEMA-15R can not be legally used to provide 240v service.

As far as the error I was referring to 420v that was shown on Provantage link.

That product does seem very strange. I can't say I've ever heard of anything like that as feeding 240v to a normal, NEMA-15R 120v outlet is like asking for a disaster should a normal 120v appliance get plugged into it.

No you said it was full of errors and that it was illegal. The 220v/420v was clearly a typo that should have read 220v/240v, and there was no "full of errors". Just because YOU have not heard of something does not mean it does not exist or that it is "illegal".

No you said it was full of errors and that it was illegal. The 220v/420v was clearly a typo that should have read 220v/240v, and there was no "full of errors". Just because YOU have not heard of something does not mean it does not exist or that it is "illegal".

It is a code violation... NEMA 15-R receptacles are only rated for use up to nominal voltage of 125v. Not 250v.

Technically, the NEC isn't law. But that's a product I definitely wouldn't buy.

Actually, I believe UL listing is void too if it is used for outside of intended purpose, i.e. your typical power cord won't explode if you were to hook it up to 600v, but it would not be UL compliant if it was used at 600v.

NEC often mandates the use of CSA/UL rated components and while NEC itself may not be a law, local and state laws require NEC compliance according to Wikipedia.

Whoa ... you guys totally lost me. This product is also available on Amazon, and I was going to get it just to use while I'm in China. Is it not reliable-looking?

What would you use that thing for? I cannot find any device that uses 220/240 over a 5-15-R/P.

The only one that keeps coming up is this Tripp Lite Isobar :p

I guess you could wire up a PC/Laptop brick that can handle 220/240 and then some how wire together a 220/240 source through the plug via adapters...but it seems pretty rinky and weird that tripp lite would make a product just for doing such.

I'm just trying to keep my nice, expensive computer (well, expensive to me) from baking to a crunchy crisp if I get a power spike. I live in semi-rural China, so these things happen.

Actually, I believe UL listing is void too if it is used for outside of intended purpose, i.e. your typical power cord won't explode if you were to hook it up to 600v, but it would not be UL compliant if it was used at 600v.

NEC often mandates the use of CSA/UL rated components and while NEC itself may not be a law, local and state laws require NEC compliance according to Wikipedia.

Whoa ... you guys totally lost me. This product is also available on Amazon, and I was going to get it just to use while I'm in China. Is it not reliable-looking?

No the Tripp-lite linked is just like their European models but with NEMA 5-15 connectors. If you go that route you are still going to have the problem of the NEMA 5-15 not connecting to the Chinese wall socket so you will have to have an adapter. You also will have the issue of not having a AC cord rated for 220/240V in all likelihood with NEMA 5-15 plugs. You can circumvent that issue by going to stayonline and ordering a custom cable, they will make a cable rated up to 300V with NEMA 5-15 plugs. True it won't be UL certified, or meet NEC....but neither is LAW and you are going to CHINA. The chances of most of those products you pick up there meeting UL or NEC standards are 100% or almost zero. 100% because they printed it on the box for an extra few cents. 0% because....its China.

Now the best route IMO is to go to stayonline and get one of their international suger suppressors and appropriate cabling for China. I kind of missed the travel part at the beginning of your post and thought you needed it for here for some reason.

Back