11.6" gateway core 2 solo $315 after bcb

walks0nwater

Limp Gawd
tiger direct has 11.6 inch netbooks with the core 2 solo's 2gb's of ram and 250gb hd for 315 after bcb, not sure if its hawt or not seems like it though.

link

rather have this then an ipad or any netbook thats for sure.

Only downside I see is that its the Core2Solo su3500 instead of the dual core su2300.

I'm still waiting for Acer's convertible notebook/tablet the 1420p. Same guts as the Gateway = Acer AS1410. Supposedly available in Europe, but no release date for the US. Maybe Acer will release something by Christmas.

The weight is actually quite good too, it's a netbook form factor with a bit more power under the hood. Not quite ion in terms of graphics, but more CPU power than any atom and decent graphics for the size (with hardware HD decoding).

I've had both the Core Solo and the dual core Celeron versions. They aren't that much different for normal tasks. The battery lasts a little longer on the Solo and the Celeron runs hotter.

For most things, I didn't notice the difference. But for $315, I think this is pretty hot.

You might be able to get a copy of Win 7 from Gateway also. This model was eligible before, but I'm not sure if the program is still in effect.

rather have this then an ipad or any netbook thats for sure.

agreed. the core 2 solo isnt really bad at all. the battery life is great for the power, its got plenty of ram and hard drive space its super light weight perfect for school.

I have been waiting for the 1410s to come down in price. I can't believe the solo is almost as good as the pentium though. Only difference is the cache and .1ghz faster for the solo.

I have been waiting for the 1410s to come down in price. I can't believe the solo is almost as good as the pentium though. Only difference is the cache and .1ghz faster for the solo.

Really depends on the use. I was talking more about for normal web surfing, word documents, e-mail, etc. If you're looking to do much more than that, you should probably be looking at a more powerful laptop anyway.

what do you type in bing.com to get the cashback link to come up from tigerdirect?

"laptop" works and I think "tiger direct" works, without the qoutes of course. Struggling with this decision, I'd been looking at the Asus netbooks with 11+ hours of battery life, but this is $85 cheaper and a good bit more powerful. Half the battery life though. Though, if it fits, you could pick up the acer 1810T 5600mah battery and get around 2 hours more run time. The batteries run about $65-$70 I think. Again, this is assuming it would fit. Decisions, decisions.

"laptop" works and I think "tiger direct" works, without the qoutes of course. Struggling with this decision, I'd been looking at the Asus netbooks with 11+ hours of battery life, but this is $85 cheaper and a good bit more powerful. Half the battery life though. Though, if it fits, you could pick up the acer 1810T 5600mah battery and get around 2 hours more run time. The batteries run about $65-$70 I think. Again, this is assuming it would fit. Decisions, decisions.

IIRC, they are all the same chassis. I had a Acer 1410 and the Gateway ECXXXX (don't remember) and they were the same. There are even toggle switches on the lower end models that don't do anything because the higher end parts aren't installed (e.g. Bluetooth). I installed a bluetooth module in mine and the toggle switch worked.

IIRC, they are all the same chassis. I had a Acer 1410 and the Gateway ECXXXX (don't remember) and they were the same. There are even toggle switches on the lower end models that don't do anything because the higher end parts aren't installed (e.g. Bluetooth). I installed a bluetooth module in mine and the toggle switch worked.

Thanks for the info, good to know. I may have to seriously consider this and the battery then. Just wish the black version qualified for cashback.

I'm seriously thinking about getting this laptop/notebook for school. But how does it handle things like photoshop or watching youtube/hulu in HD?

What exactly is the difference between the two models TD is selling?

G180-11601 vs G180-11600???

I'm seriously thinking about getting this laptop/notebook for school. But how does it handle things like photoshop or watching youtube/hulu in HD?

What exactly is the difference between the two models TD is selling?

G180-11601 vs G180-11600???

My Atom at 1.6ghz does ok in photoshop. It's comparable to the pentium 4 desktops in some of the older labs at my school. This Core 2 Solo should be faster. I wouldn't want to do a whole day of editing on it though.

You could always temporarily overclock (with setFSB) a couple hundred MHz when you need to do work fast.

720p youtube videos sometimes stutter, and sometimes are ok with my Atom. I'd imagine with a Core 2 Solo they'd be fine. Even better with Flash 10.1, it is accelerated by the Intel GMA4500 in this Gateway. http://www.anandtech.com/show/2876/5

Color appears to be the difference between the two model numbers.

Any other thoughts on this laptop? I read some reviews about it on youtube but 95% of the people there said nothing good of it.

For $315, I still say it's way better than a netbook unless you need 8 hours of battery life. It's never going to be a speed demon though, but it does have HDMI and VGA output which is nice.

The ULVs processors are significantly better than the Atom's used in Netbooks. Not to mention not having the for me deal breaking screen resolution of a netbook (this has a very usable 1366 x 768 vs. 1024x600).

For portability, battery life, office work and browsing this is a really good machine. This is not meant to be a desktop replacement or gaming notebook. Specwise it is better and has more upgrade options than the HP 2510 12" business notebook that I am typing this post on. If you were thinking of getting a netbook and don't mind the 11.6" screen size get this, you'll be much better off and at $315 it is a good price (I paid $550 second hand for my 2510p). The only reason I don't buy this myself is that my wife already has an Acer Aspire One with 60GB SSD and 9h battery. I'm waiting for the Acer convertible tablet based on this machine to retire my 2510p.

Good price for something that will smoke a netbook. In for one to keep on my office desk, thanks OP.

i jumped on one too, to replace my struggling netbook. cant beat that price after CB. thanks OP!

Last edited:
Back