10yr Old Hacker Finds Zero-Day Flaw in Games

There aren't enough words in the English language to express how I feel about this girl being falsely referred to as a "hacker."

And I was building computers at age ten, so this isn't very impressive.

Amazing that this turned into a dick measuring contest against a 10 year old girl. :rolleyes:

I don't care if you designed the SR-71 Blackbird at age 10; regardless, against the average, what this girl did was impressive at her age.

Sad that people can't just be happy for someone's accomplishments, even minor, and instead have to belittle them.

Amazing that this turned into a dick measuring contest against a 10 year old girl. :rolleyes:

I don't care if you designed the SR-71 Blackbird at age 10; regardless, against the average, what this girl did was impressive at her age.

Sad that people can't just be happy for someone's accomplishments, even minor, and instead have to belittle them.

It wasn't impressive at all. It's not a huge leap to think "Oh, 10 hours, let's see what happens when make the phone think 10 hours has passed." Now if she figured out how to intercept time sync packets some games use to check how much time has passed with a server, that would be impressive, but she didn't, she moved the clock on her device forward.

You missed the point.. Most of us in our mid 20's were doing this at pretty much the same age already. Its actually less impressive for her to be doing this as since this has almost been common knowledge for over 10 years, the ones of us that exploited this for a long time also did not grow up with nearly as much technology.

Its more or less just an article pointing out how developers have been ignoring a stupid exploit, its just dumb this girl is getting glorified for this and being labeled a "hacker".. Makes actual hackers look bad...

It ranks up there being about as dumb as the lady trying to patent the sun.

Yeah, I was doing stuff like that back when I was ten. Hell, I started to learn HTML and do work with Photo and audio editors.

It's cool, but this isn't a "Hacker" - just a tech-aware kid who modified her system clock to progress quicker...

Honestly, I think most of the people on here weren't impressed because we've all done stuff like this when we were kids and for this to be deemed as a "hacker child' is annoying.

It's pretty awesome that she figured this out on her own -- she's 10yrs old, folks - cut her some slack.

However, it's extremely hilarious that such a simple 'exploit' was overlooked by the devs. Shame on them :p

For one this is an old exploit and 2 the devs know all about it, Hell you think I got 83 levels in Tiny Tower by playing it every day for 4 months? Or got to level 19 in pocket frogs in a weekend by luck? This info is all over the net and anyone can find it out with 1 Google search.

For me I first did it on that zombie farm game to piss off my 15 year old, she hated her old man overtaking her.. :) Screw buying tower bucks for $.99c for ten! :)

Yeah, I was doing stuff like that back when I was ten. Hell, I started to learn HTML and do work with Photo and audio editors.

It's cool, but this isn't a "Hacker" - just a tech-aware kid who modified her system clock to progress quicker...

Honestly, I think most of the people on here weren't impressed because we've all done stuff like this when we were kids and for this to be deemed as a "hacker child' is annoying.

I remember spending weekends modding C64 game files so I could get 5 games on the one disk to sell to my school friends in grade 6 :p

You missed the point.. Most of us in our mid 20's were doing this at pretty much the same age already. Its actually less impressive for her to be doing this as since this has almost been common knowledge for over 10 years, the ones of us that exploited this for a long time also did not grow up with nearly as much technology.

Its more or less just an article pointing out how developers have been ignoring a stupid exploit, its just dumb this girl is getting glorified for this and being labeled a "hacker".. Makes actual hackers look bad...

It ranks up there being about as dumb as the lady trying to patent the sun.

Indeed, sir, indeed.

A 10-year-old hacker who goes by the pseudonym CyFi revealed today at DefCon 19 a zero-day exploit in games on iOS and Android devices that independent researchers have confirmed as a new class of vulnerability. The girl from California first discovered the flaw around January 2011 because she "started to get bored" with the pace of farm-style games.

BREAKING NEWS:
This just in! A neighborhood puppy has exploited a zero-day hole in my fence and deposited a load of malicious code directly on my lawn! You heard it here first, folks, the most important news as it happens!

Seriously, I'm very glad to see a kid who's not just sitting on her couch rotting her brains with TV, but why do we want to make it sound like she broke into the pentagon? These buzz words are ridiculous...

Back