1090T to FX 8120

I don't know if it is of any interest to your guys who use other motherboard brands, but my Asrock board is pretty clear on the subject. It's explained in the UEFI:

For AM3 CPUs. ENABLE LLC
For AM3+ CPUs: DISABLE LLC.

Never heard that before. My beloved Sabertooth doesn't have that note on there. Once you find the setting that keeps the voltage where you actually set it, it's not an issue. Mine is doing 4.4 in stock voltage so I don't think it's hurting anything.

I noticed you have an H100 vs my H50. Is going to the H100 worth it, did you see any difference? I can get one for $99 plus tax.

So far I have seen a max of 47 c running IBT @ 4.4 1.35v. For me it's worth it.

Your wasting your time overclocking the thing because as with overclocking anything stability is not gauranteed. ( Jean Andrews A Practical Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC 7th Edition). It also decreases the life of the component being overclocked significantly, which is also stated in that book.

Last edited:
So far I have seen a max of 47 c running IBT @ 4.4 1.35v. For me it's worth it.

Wow! That's nearly 15C less than I'm getting at 4.4 with the same voltage! Definitely gotta get me a H100.

Your wasting your time overclocking the thing because as with overclocking anything stability is not garanteed. ( Jean Andrews A Practical Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC 7th Edition). It also decreases the life of the component being overclocked significantly, which is also stated in that book.

LOL

Your wasting your time overclocking the thing because as with overclocking anything stability is not garanteed. ( Jean Andrews A Practical Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC 7th Edition). It also decreases the life of the component being overclocked significantly, which is also stated in that book.

Are you for real? Of course nothing is guaranteed. Of course it decreases the life of the component. I'm pretty sure the risks are known. Some people just like to tinker and there is nothing wrong with that, they're not hurting anyone.

Except themselves, but now you know why it fails instead of sitting there with your head up well you get the picture.

It fails? :confused: I have never had a processor fail because of overclocking but, then again, I guess it could happen if I were not careful. I have only had 2 processors fail on me, one because I did not put the heatsink on and the other because the heatsink damaged the core. (Both Athlon XP's)

Well, anyways, now I am tweaking to see how low I can get the vCore with the settings I have for reduced power consumption. Since the H50 can only handle what I am giving it and not the higher settings, I will just have to sit where I am at until I get an H100 in the future.

It fails? :confused: I have never had a processor fail because of overclocking but, then again, I guess it could happen if I were not careful. I have only had 2 processors fail on me, one because I did not put the heatsink on and the other because the heatsink damaged the core. (Both Athlon XP's)

Well, anyways, now I am tweaking to see how low I can get the vCore with the settings I have for reduced power consumption. Since the H50 can only handle what I am giving it and not the higher settings, I will just have to sit where I am at until I get an H100 in the future.

Ignore the trolls dude. Yes a processor can fail if you're stupid and try to feed 5 volts thru it. With proper cooling and common sense, the odds of your OC'd proc dying prematurely are about the same as one running at stock clocks. I suppose it could shave some time off its lifespan but you're still gonna get nearly 10 years out of it and if you're overclocking your CPU's then I highly doubt you're the type to keep procs a decade.

Ignore the trolls dude. Yes a processor can fail if you're stupid and try to feed 5 volts thru it. With proper cooling and common sense, the odds of your OC'd proc dying prematurely are about the same as one running at stock clocks. I suppose it could shave some time off its lifespan but you're still gonna get nearly 10 years out of it and if you're overclocking your CPU's then I highly doubt you're the type to keep procs a decade.

That cool. :D I tried to set my voltage to 1.3v with LLC disabled but the machine rebooted during an IBT run. Therefore, I instead set it to 1.3625v with LLC set to 1/4 and that works much better. (The vCore can get down to 1.32v.)

I prefer the LLC setting that has the voltage not changing from what I have it set to in the BIOS. On my way board, that's the next to highest setting. I don't like having the voltage jumping around a lot.

I prefer the LLC setting that has the voltage not changing from what I have it set to in the BIOS. On my way board, that's the next to highest setting. I don't like having the voltage jumping around a lot.

On my board, it is either set it to 1/4 so that it drops a bit, or set it to disabled which raises it about .35v to .4v. There is no setting on my board that keeps it set at the voltage I set it at.

Mine passed an hour of IBT (4.4 @ 1.35v) last night only to fail 3min into prime... Wonder if I need a bump in NB volts?

Your wasting your time overclocking the thing because as with overclocking anything stability is not gauranteed. ( Jean Andrews A Practical Guide to Managing and Maintaining Your PC 7th Edition). It also decreases the life of the component being overclocked significantly, which is also stated in that book.

Yes, your processor will last 10 years instead of what? 20? How many years would you say you will stay with your current processor? You do know you are replying on a PC enthusiast oriented website right?

There are no moving parts in a processor, as long as you stay within the manufacturers limits regarding thermals, you're fine. I've been overclocking since the 486 days and I've never had a processor give up the ghost due to overclocking.

Would you care to enlighten us and tell us what kind of damage can occur if manufacturer recommend thermals are maintained? (on all components, not just the processor)

I've had my 1090T overclocked since Day 1. Never had an issue.
You need to educate yourself and read some more. One book isn't the end all, be all.

Your CPU voltage is a little low. Try bumping it up to 1.375. And an overclock that can survive IBT can flake out after a few minutes of Prime95 and vice versa. That's why it's best to use both to test your clocks.

Would going from an H50 to an H100 help a lot at load? I was trying Prime but at 15 minutes the machine locked up. (The socket temp got up to 88C and the core temp was 58C.)

It should. I have never run mine on anything other than the H100 so I am a little jaded on the subject!

Your CPU voltage is a little low. Try bumping it up to 1.375. And an overclock that can survive IBT can flake out after a few minutes of Prime95 and vice versa. That's why it's best to use both to test your clocks.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just passed an hour of prime, now an hour of IBT. If it passes I will set up prime blend overnight.

It should. I have never run mine on anything other than the H100 so I am a little jaded on the subject!

Well, I am sure the H100 would have worked well. However, it did not fit in my system at all. I have a Fractal Design R3 that has a place to mount it in the top but, the 8 pin power connector and the ram where in the way so it would not fit. :(

Looks like an Corsair H80 or Kuhler 920 is what I am going to have to use then. :)

Ya the ARC Midi has the rad off set so you don't have that issue. I did a bunch of research on cases before I bought the H100. i would say that the H80 might work if you get some really good fans and don't mind noise. I would go with some tri blade deltas @ 150 cfm from a noise stand point. You may need to go with some louder fans to get the performance you need out of that set up. The ACR Midi ( less than 90 bucks ) would probably be cheaper that the H80 and the fans needed. Something to think about.

Last edited:
Well I've seen on numerous fourms that the AMDFX 4170 is great for gaming.
Better then the 8150/20/61/6200's/FX's......

I've 1090t on my sabertooth running 3.7 w/8 GBs ram-2-MSI 560 Ti's sli.

Running BF-3 from 90/50 FPS at 1600x1200/16AA/16AF thinking upgrading
4170 and Crosshair V-better placement for SLI and a free PCI port for my
X-Fi sound card-really don't like on-board audio dedicated sound always sounds
better......

Nothing wrong with the H80 or especially the Antec 920. Those should be enough to get you into the upper 4's with little problem especially since it seems like youve got a cooler running chip to work with. I had my heart set on the H100 but that new Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme looks really good too. $145 but its the best cooler on the market right now this side of a custom loop.

Nothing wrong with the H80 or especially the Antec 920. Those should be enough to get you into the upper 4's with little problem especially since it seems like youve got a cooler running chip to work with. I had my heart set on the H100 but that new Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme looks really good too. $145 but its the best cooler on the market right now this side of a custom loop.

Well, I picked this one up: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro This should make a huge difference and best of all, it will fit in my case. :D Oh, and just a plug for tigerdirect, when they say 2 day shipping, they mean 2 day shipping. Newegg, if I were lucky, a 2 day shipment from today would have shown up next Monday.

Last edited:
Nice! That'll he a fun toy to play with. I'll have one myself one day.

Quick note for you guys..If you can run at least 10 passes of IBT with ALL memory used, but Prime 95(make sure you are using V27.7 so AVX is enabled) is failing, then you need some more Vcore..I would suggest running Prime under large FFTs, since that produces the most heat and stresses the cpu and will find an unstable o/c quickest..Make sure you go into "Advanced" and turn off "Round Off Checking"

My 3770K @ 4.8Ghz would run 20+passes of IBT Extreme Mode with all 16GB of ram @ 1.25, but would fail Prime95 until I raised my Vcore to 1.272..

PS. I know I am running an Intel system, but I have experience overclocking every system I've ever owned, and it has been quite a few..I have played with AMDs, especially my 1055T I bought launch week with would do 4.3 under water @ 1.45V IIRC..was a fun chip!

Quick note for you guys..If you can run at least 10 passes of IBT with ALL memory used, but Prime 95(make sure you are using V27.7 so AVX is enabled) is failing, then you need some more Vcore..I would suggest running Prime under large FFTs, since that produces the most heat and stresses the cpu and will find an unstable o/c quickest..Make sure you go into "Advanced" and turn off "Round Off Checking"

My 3770K @ 4.8Ghz would run 20+passes of IBT Extreme Mode with all 16GB of ram @ 1.25, but would fail Prime95 until I raised my Vcore to 1.272..

PS. I know I am running an Intel system, but I have experience overclocking every system I've ever owned, and it has been quite a few..I have played with AMDs, especially my 1055T I bought launch week with would do 4.3 under water @ 1.45V IIRC..was a fun chip!

Thank you for the advice, it is worth it. Part of me is now wondering, should I have waited for the 8320 but it is to late now. I am happy with the 8120 and I got it for $139.99 plus $10 shipping and have enjoyed it these past 2 weeks.

The rumored features of steamroller is what has me excited but that is over a year from now. I will let you guys know how the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro works out.

Well, the Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro is working great at a full 20C less in temps. That said, this board and cpu combo is being tempermental at anything about 4.5GHz.

Wow! 20C is a pretty big difference! Definitely a worthwhile investment. May need to start from scratch since youve got the cooling taken care of. Maybe leave RAM and everything else set to stock and start overclocking via FSB and multiplier for a while. Id be surprised if 4.5 is all you can get out of that thing unless its not a very stable one.

Well, it appears that the highest I can go is 4.5 GHz. (That is with a FSB of 225 or just multiplier overclocked.) Anything further makes the computer unstable no matter the voltage or ram settings. I have the vCore at 1.3875 with LLC turned off. (That makes it go up to 1.44v or so)

I would like higher but I am not going to complain about it. (The 8320 would have been a bit better but not enough to be disappointed with what I have.) The Thermaltake cooler will be plenty also when steamroller hits the market in a little over a year.

I read here that if you increased the VDDA voltage, it will help with higher overclocks. He increased his VDDA to 2.5v, which allowed him to get past 4.5 ghz on his 8150.

I think you should try that. A person at 5 ghz on an 8150 with a H100 used a VDDA of 2.6v with 1.5 vcore.

Yeah, nice tip! I never thought of trying VDDA tweaking. Never wouldve thought it would make a difference. Ill have to keep that in mind if I run into a wall on mine.

Yeah, nice tip! I never thought of trying VDDA tweaking. Never wouldve thought it would make a difference. Ill have to keep that in mind if I run into a wall on mine.

Unfortunately, it did not help on mine. (My board only has 3 settings, Auto, 2.56 and 2.70.) A better board would probably get me a little further but I am not going to bother with a new board.

Yeah, I wouldnt either. Honestly, Im suspecting your CPU more than your board. Thats a pretty solid board youve got there and should be capable of handling a Bulldozer with a solid overclock. I think you were just unlucky and got one of those 8120's that are temperamental and wont be stable at high clocks. But you did manage well over 1GHz of an overclock so thats pretty good.

Guess its time to start saving up for that 8350! :D

Just as a follow up, I am really starting to enjoy my computer again with this FX 8120. I am actually disappointed that I have not had the time to do much with it lately. :)

Best thing about the AMD chips, lots of buttons to push so to speak so they're a lot more fun to tweak on. When you have a virtually endless combination of settings to play with, it can get addicting.

Back