10850K for $240 or wait for Rocketlake or get a 5900x (First upgrade in 10 years)

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, my i7-930 has finally met its match with Cyberpunk 2077 where even at 4K, it cant feed my 1080 ti proper in open city traversing. My CPU is yes 10 years old. I have been in desperate need of an upgrade. I can get a 10850K with my employee discount for 240 bucks or wait for Rocket Lake or go for the 5900x (no discount as I don't work at AMD lol). It would appear 5900x woud be a more expensive upgrade but does have newer features from what I hear than 10850K. Thoughts?

Wait... you suggesting I get a 3700x instead? and why?
Probably because its
1) available
2) 1/2 the cost of the 5900x while still providing pretty much maximum performance in any current gen game matched with even the highest tier GPUs much less a 1080ti.
3) like sabrewolf said yoink that 10850k thats a damn good deal and the best option for the cost

Yeah, considering the deal you can get on the 10850K, just get that. Its hard to say if it'll last you another decade, but for now it's among the best gaming CPUs out there and $240 is a great price for that chip.

You can't even GET anything else at the moment. Jump on the 10850k deal right the heck now.

I've been bulding 10850k systems for the last couple of weeks simply because nothing else is available. They're fine CPUs, and worth the $450 they usually go for.

Even if you could get a Ryzen 5600x or 5900x, which you can't unless you live near a Microcenter and want to camp there, either one will cost a lot more than $240.

Your bang for the buck here is obvious. Don't wait.

Damn, and I thought my 10850k was a steal for $369!

240 is a no-brainer. For 4k gaming, you're not going to see a difference from the new Ryzens. Grab a z490 and the 10850k, sell it for profit in a few months and drop in a Rocket Lake.

10850K at 240 bucks is a no brainer. You can also grab a full featured board these days for another 150 and in close to 400 you will have a very fast system.

I had already seen this review as why I said the 3700x as I would need a RTX 3080 to see the 20+ frames more on the 5600x at 1080p Low vs a 3700x .. more load placed on the gpu and Ryzen 3000 is back in the game . Also the platform is so cheap to build .

All this Cyberpunk 2077 talk and I end up buying the game (downloading now) and maybe 1080p High with the RX 5700

10850K at 240 bucks is a no brainer. You can also grab a full featured board these days for another 150 and in close to 400 you will have a very fast system.

What $150 range motherboard do you know that will allow me to get 5.1Ghz from a 10 core power hungry CPU? Keep in mind, I have been out of the game since 2010 so I have no idea what a good motherboard means these days or which RAM is best to pair the CPUs with for gaming performance

Probably because its
1) available
2) 1/2 the cost of the 5900x while still providing pretty much maximum performance in any current gen game matched with even the highest tier GPUs much less a 1080ti.
3) like sabrewolf said yoink that 10850k thats a damn good deal and the best option for the cost

This is really good advice here.

The 3700x even with the long legs of a 3080 in cyberpunk was keeping right up (within 10%) of the 5900x. For a fraction of the price. But even better still, if you invest in the X570 platform, you can later upgrade to a 5900x. I am on the 3700x leg of that particular journey. best of luck on the path, OP.

This is really good advice here.

The 3700x even with the long legs of a 3080 in cyberpunk was keeping right up (within 10%) of the 5900x. For a fraction of the price. But even better still, if you invest in the X570 platform, you can later upgrade to a 5900x. I am on the 3700x leg of that particular journey. best of luck on the path, OP.

An interesting path...however by the time I get to wanting a 5900x, something better will come out on a new AMD socket.

An interesting path...however by the time I get to wanting a 5900x, something better will come out on a new AMD socket.
I picked up my 9900k 6 months before zen 2 came out so not mad about the decision at the time, but I'm set to wait to upgrade until DDR5 is available for the given platforms.
Optimistically Intel will at least have an offering at that point thats something not 14nm for some finally realized competition.

I would love to pick-up an i9 10850K for less than $250. Heck! I would go for an i7 10700K for that price. Go for it! I have had good luck building systems with the Asus ROG 490-e Strix and Maximus Hero XII WiFi motherboards. You do not need to drop a fortune on the motherboard unless you want to. Also, you do not want to cheap-out on the motherboard if you want to keep the system for the long haul. The Z490's will also have compatibility with the Rocket Lake CPU's.

10850K for $250? Nice! I rather get that with an additional $50 bucks in my pocket compared to a 5600x and all the rick rolling one has to deal with to even get that CPU. Get it and don't look back!

What $150 range motherboard do you know that will allow me to get 5.1Ghz from a 10 core power hungry CPU? Keep in mind, I have been out of the game since 2010 so I have no idea what a good motherboard means these days or which RAM is best to pair the CPUs with for gaming performance
I have experience with ASUS TUF boards. They have their quirks but hitting 5.1-5.2 Gs should be fairly straight forward. My 8086K did 5 Gs on an ASUS TUF Z370 that I bought for 150. The 490 boards are around that mark as well.

Other options include Asrock, Gigabyte Aorus Elite and MSI gaming boards. However, it seems everyone has jacked prices up by 20-30 bucks for Christmas.

On BF these things were around 150 mark.

I would love to pick-up an i9 10850K for less than $250. Heck! I would go for an i7 10700K for that price. Go for it! I have had good luck building systems with the Asus ROG 490-e Strix and Maximus Hero XII WiFi motherboards. You do not need to drop a fortune on the motherboard unless you want to. Also, you do not want to cheap-out on the motherboard if you want to keep the system for the long haul. The Z490's will also have compatibility with the Rocket Lake CPU's.

Yeah I am so out of the loop. 10 years out of the loop so I don't know whats good. I would however like to go no more thatn $350 on a solid board with good OC to get me 5.1Ghz and have a backup iGPU and maybe RGB. RGB is not important but it would be nice to have to feel like the cool kids. I'd think a solid board would be future proof in case I am able to pick up a Rocket Lake CPU with my discount in the future

Yeah I am so out of the loop. 10 years out of the loop so I don't know whats good. I would however like to go no more thatn $350 on a solid board with good OC to get me 5.1Ghz and have a backup iGPU and maybe RGB. RGB is not important but it would be nice to have to feel like the cool kids. I'd think a solid board would be future proof in case I am able to pick up a Rocket Lake CPU with my discount in the future
How many CPUs can you get with your discount, asking for a friend, lol

Always remember that about $50 of the price of a 3700x is the cooler and I remember AMD dropped them to $279 a while back .. the board i used cost $75 and is MSI x470 Gaming Plus (non max) flashed by me . also I have yet to try an AIO cooler and faster memory like 3600Mhz as every bios update brings a little more . I do have a B550M board already waiting for a 5000 series when the time is right .

Always remember that about $50 of the price of a 3700x is the cooler and I remember AMD dropped them to $279 a while back .. the board i used cost $75 and is MSI x470 Gaming Plus (non max) flashed by me . also I have yet to try an AIO cooler and faster memory like 3600Mhz as every bios update brings a little more . I do have a B550M board already waiting for a 5000 series when the time is right .

But wouldn't that path be more expensive especially given the resolution I game in ? Like I would like a 5900x above anything but I'm also budget conscious

But wouldn't that path be more expensive especially given the resolution I game in ? Like I would like a 5900x above anything but I'm also budget conscious
For straight gaming the 5600x (or 3700x) is all you’ll need for several years (or longer likely) even at 4k.
5800x or 5900x is only needed if you’re doing other workloads that are cpu intensive.

I don't see any reason to get a 5600x or 3700x over the 10850k for $240. The 10850k is faster (3700x) and cheaper. Also rocketlake will likely be a drop in for z490 so you have an upgrade path. Silly to consider AMD when you can get 10 core 20 thread 5GHz intel for $240

At $240 for a 10850K you are getting the best bang for the buck you can get. Later on if you need faster you can buy Rocketlake as said above. Anyone trying to get you to buy a 3700X or other AMD processor is just fanboying and should be ignored.

At $240 for a 10850K you are getting the best bang for the buck you can get. Later on if you need faster you can buy Rocketlake as said above. Anyone trying to get you to buy a 3700X or other AMD processor is just fanboying and should be ignored.
Why can I not be 100% fanboy of AMD being your in the AMD CPU Forums and not Intel ..

Because its good to hear as many opinions on a question as possible? I've learned a bit from the 3 different forums. Or is there a rule saying an individual cannot be a member of several forums and ask for opinions from said forums? J Macker

Because its good to hear as many opinions on a question as possible? I've learned a bit from the 3 different forums. Or is there a rule saying an individual cannot be a member of several forums and ask for opinions from said forums? J Macker

Yeah I used to post on multiple forums to get a wide range of opinions in order to be more informed.

The 10850K isn't in right now brah even for under $300... it's all about the 5000 series if you wanna be cool. Sorry just facts. :ROFLMAO:

Because he likes having a bunch of Tech Forum white knights stroking him off on what a good deal he got.

Yeah I orgasmed 50 times last night watching people stroke me off for my employee discount. Best feeling ever. Nightfire

It's not like I am totally clueless on what's good and not. Or the fact that different forums have different views and opinons and volume of responses.

Last edited:
Nah, it's a pretty freaking stupid question... Get a $400+ ish cpu for $240 vs spending $550 for 5900x. You're not totally clueless but you can't answer this silly question for yourself, just saying... lol.

Nah, it's a pretty freaking stupid question... Get a $400+ ish cpu for $240 vs spending $550 for 5900x. You're not totally clueless but you can't answer this silly question for yourself, just saying... lol.
I've heard a lot of bad things about Intel's CPUs compared to AMD's more advanced ones. Now that I am set on the 10850K, I'm having a nightmare time trying to figure out what to do about cooling. I don't want to do water cooling. Which again is an issue AMD doesn't have. This is why I ask around

I've heard a lot of bad things about Intel's CPUs compared to AMD's more advanced ones. Now that I am set on the 10850K, I'm having a nightmare time trying to figure out what to do about cooling. I don't want to do water cooling. Which again is an issue AMD doesn't have. This is why I ask around
I had a early Ryzen 5 3600 and it would unlock to 4.4Ghz (+200 in auto overclock) so an AIO cooler was better at keeping the cpu pushing pass the 4.2Ghz cap and ran more like a 3700x in gaming .

What case do you have?

Back