1080p (4.7-5 Inch) Phone Roundup and Discussion

The Galaxy Nexus over the previous Nexus-S, was a night and day major upgrade, but the Nexus 4 over the Galaxy Nexus, seems almost a downgrade, yeah the internal hardware is way better, of course, but a Galaxy Nexus running Cm10.1 still is pretty slick and very fast.

here's hoping the Nexus-Five is much nicer, and not another LG product.

Nexus 4 is a *huge* upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus. Unlike you I actually have both of them - it's no contest. N4 blows the GN away on every category. Battery life is better, screen is better, touch latency is better, performance is better, camera is better, GPS is waaaay better. There's not a single aspect on which the GN wins. Not a one.

Nexus 4 is a *huge* upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus. Unlike you I actually have both of them - it's no contest. N4 blows the GN away on every category. Battery life is better, screen is better, touch latency is better, performance is better, camera is better, GPS is waaaay better. There's not a single aspect on which the GN wins. Not a one.

Removable battery, LTE, Verizon availability, 32GB internal storage...

Don't get me wrong, the Nexus 4 is the superior phone. It is, however, not superior in EVERY aspect as you state.

Oppo Find 5 pricing... $499 for 16GB and $569 for 32GB.

Uses pentaband so it will work with AT&T, T-Mobile (including the prepaid monthly 4g), and according to their site Simple Mobile.

Looks like it will be a very solid phone, the next step up from the Nexus 4 with what seems like a much lower price from what we will find with Sony's Xperia Z and others.

Oppo Find 5 pricing... $499 for 16GB and $569 for 32GB.

Uses pentaband so it will work with AT&T, T-Mobile (including the prepaid monthly 4g), and according to their site Simple Mobile.

Looks like it will be a very solid phone, the next step up from the Nexus 4 with what seems like a much lower price from what we will find with Sony's Xperia Z and others.

Not a bad battery either. I don't know anything about the brand but I will assume that screen will be major suck when compared to the rest.

Not a bad battery either. I don't know anything about the brand but I will assume that screen will be major suck when compared to the rest.

Why would you assume that, I believe it's the exact same panel produced by Sharp? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Why would you assume that, I believe it's the exact same panel produced by Sharp? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To expect an off brand to supply a cheaper phone with the same (or better) specs but cheaper and have just as good a display is to assume a lot. Typically when you find these phones they cut back the price by using sub standard panels. Just because is produced by sharp doesnt mean it will be the top panels sharp makes.

To expect an off brand to supply a cheaper phone with the same (or better) specs but cheaper and have just as good a display is to assume a lot. Typically when you find these phones they cut back the price by using sub standard panels. Just because is produced by sharp doesnt mean it will be the top panels sharp makes.

Spot on. There are a few factors here, but if we're discussing just the panel, then we should be look at the Display forums (specifically, Catleap and variants) for inspiration here.

Your "A+" panels, (IE, the ones with no noticeable issues) will go to the highest bidders. For LG's IPS panels, that means Dell, Apple, and others. The A- panels (ones that might have minor uniformity issues, or a few dead pixels) are sold as cheap surplus to companies like Yamakasi. As we've seen from the display forums here, these things are such a value that gamers are preferring them over the ACD and Dell Ultrasharp versions (mainly due to price).

If the same thing is happening here, you're likely getting the same panel with a potential flaw or two, but so minor as to not be noticeable in most conditions.

Oppo is quite well-regarded among the home theater enthusiast crowd (http://www.oppodigital.com/ - those things are not cheap for an "off brand" and people buy them). I doubt they would attempt to enter the phone market unless they knew they could secure quality parts.

http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/d...tc-butterfly-vs-sony-xperia-z.618/#post-11970

photo of htc butterfly vs oppo vs sony xperia Z displays

still no real "good" showdown between the three

http://blog.gsmarena.com/sony-xperi...at-hq-star-in-a-mouth-watering-photo-session/

I'm waiting for Oppo to be released internationally (you can find their 16GB chinese version $611 shipped from 3rd party websites)... their forums (oppoforums.com) are somewhat active, but they still havent released their kernel sources yet (and sony already released their sources before device is shipped)

would like to get the Xperia Z, but it'l probably be $800 and hard to find

Depends, I agree with you but maybe they well get manufacturing support and get a real phone out there again.

I had the sony ericsson 810i, amazing phone, the xperia z looks like a good one.

My god, the visual signal-to-noise ratio on the oppo forums is awful. I hope [H] never allows images in signatures.

apparently, the camera sensor in the Oppo is the same sensor in the Xperia Z

http://www.gizchina.com/2012/12/16/oppo-find-5-camera-samples/

and the xperia Z has way better pictures from the production-beta phones... http://techdeville.com/2013/02/09/sony-xperia-z-iphone-4-and-oppo-finder-camera-comparison/
I really think it's a hardware/software/firmware thing (Why would sony give Oppo the best optimized firmware? sony might just keep it for their own flagship)....

or Oppo gets B- stock for the hardware (dead pixels in their Find 5 LCDs, maybe the manufactures give A+ stock to HTC Droid DNA/Sony Xperia Z-ZL first, then B stock to Oppo)

EDIT: just kidding, reviewers say bad things about the Xperia Z's camera as well

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z-review-887.php

Main disadvantage
Low contrast display with below-par viewing angles
Non user-replaceable battery
13MP camera hardly any better than some competitors' 8MP units

Last edited:
Are you sure that hard is better lol? I disable signatures on every forum for exactly that reason , there is rarely anything useful in them. Of course every once in a while I make a reply and someone barks at me that their system is in their sig but most of the time I just see more content and less garbage.

rudy:
Well, the sigs here are 1) purely textual and 2) fairly unobtrusive - light grey on dark grey background. I didn't even bother disabling them.

paperwastage:
That's a shame about the Xperia Z. What's the point of making a phone with clearly "premium" looks and price if they can't even put a nice display in there? Then again, some websites didn't like the Nexus 4 display, and it looks good to me.

Not to be unexpected, I didn't really think oppo would come undercutting competition with the same phone and dingy is doing much of the same.. :(

Last edited:
My wife is diggin her DNA. I don't like large phones but I would pack it around. It is quick, has a great screen and the battery hangs in fairly well. I built our own cloud server, that sits on our HTPC to get over the lack of sdhc storage. Put an sdhc option in the DNA and it would be really slick!

I haven't had much time to mess with the other 1080P phones so thanks for the info.

What was the solution you used for a cloud server? Can it do peer 2 peer sync?

I've tried a few. Currently I am using Tonido. There is a sync function and I believe their pro version offers larger file transfers (over 2gb). You have to pay an annual fee for the pro version. Check them out http://www.tonido.com/ So far I'm pretty happy with it. I don't know if it will be my final choice but I like being in control of my own date (mostly). Their service is an ip redirect.

Could someone explain the point of having a 1080p screen on a 4.7 to 5 inch display? I guess if you had a pet eagle he could let you know how great it is.Retina display resolution is in the neighborhood of 300ppi. Plugging in the numbers (http://isthisretina.com/) shows a 5 inch 1080p at 440ppi and a 4.7 at 468ppi. Seems like a waste of battery life,processing power, and memory.

If you have higher resolution you can remove the cost of anti aliasing and scaling will look better, having 1080p also means lots of content will be at its native resolution, it also allows you to pull the phone in closer for various tasks. Various tricks with pixels such as pentile will no longer be noticable as poorer quality. Also your epenis is far larger.

You'll never overcharge your phone when watching HD video.

Gotta be a plus right?

Could someone explain the point of having a 1080p screen on a 4.7 to 5 inch display? I guess if you had a pet eagle he could let you know how great it is.Retina display resolution is in the neighborhood of 300ppi. Plugging in the numbers (http://isthisretina.com/) shows a 5 inch 1080p at 440ppi and a 4.7 at 468ppi. Seems like a waste of battery life,processing power, and memory.
Because 1080p is our default content resolution. And our gpu are getting ever more efficient using less power already. This year's high end should be able to do 4K resolution using same if not less power. You seem to be stuck in technology not improving... I do not believe screen resolution on a cellphone will go beyond 1080p. This is probably the stopping point.

If you have higher resolution you can remove the cost of anti aliasing and scaling will look better, having 1080p also means lots of content will be at its native resolution, it also allows you to pull the phone in closer for various tasks. Various tricks with pixels such as pentile will no longer be noticable as poorer quality. Also your epenis is far larger.
You hit all points on the ... Head?

I do expect to see one more resolution bump later down the road but 1080p will be the default resolution from now on, no more funky resolution differences between the oem.

Back