1080p (4.7-5 Inch) Phone Roundup and Discussion

siluro

Limp Gawd
I wanted to begin a thread looking at the upcoming 1080p flagship phones and any discussion around them. I have listed many that I found online with their specifications. These may not be entirely accurate.

HTC Droid DNA (HTC Butterfly J) $599.99

5-Inch Display with 1080p resolution
Quadcore 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 Processor
2GB Ram
16GB Storage
8-Megapixel Rear Camera
2020 mAh Battery
Dimensions 5.55 x 2.78 x 0.38 inches (141 x 70.5 x 9.73 mm)

I5y7UVrl.jpg
sTCXnzAl.jpg

HTC M7

4.7-Inch Display with 1080p resolution
Quadcore Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 Processor
2GB Ram
32GB Storage
13-Megapixel Rear Camera

NuoX9tE.png

LG Optimus Pro G

5.5-Inch Display with 1080p resolution
Quadcore 1.7GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064 Processor
2GB Ram
32GB Storage with MicroSD Expansion
13-Megapixel Rear Camera
3140mAh Battery
Dimensions 5.47 x 2.76 x 0.39 inches (139 x 70 x 10mm)

8d5m8LOl.jpg
wIgVPgfl.jpg

Sony Xperia Z

2GB Ram
16GB Storage with MicroSD Expansion
13.1-Megapixel Rear Camera
2300mAh Battery
Dimensions 5.47 x 2.80 x 0.31 inches (139 x 71 x 7.9 mm)
Water Resistent

wLr5N7bl.png
CNXjLt2l.jpg

Sony Xperia ZL

2GB Ram
13-Megapixel Rear Camera
2370mAh Battery
Dimensions 5.18 x 2.73 x 0.39 inches (131.6 x 69.3 x 9.8 mm)

UjOhShcl.png
5JzMfqml.jpg

Oppo Find 5 $499 16GB, $569 32GB

2GB Ram
16GB Storage
13-Megapixel Rear Camera
2500mAh Battery
Dimensions 5.58 x 2.71 x 0.35 inches (141.8 x 68.8 x 8.9 mm)

HB2w1oHl.jpg
MhjkSxQl.jpg

Huawei Ascend D2 (Unknown American Availability)

Quadcore 1.5GHz Hi-Silicon K3V2 + Balong V7R1
2GB Ram
32GB Storage
13-Megapixel Rear Camera
3000mAh Battery
Dimensions 5.51 x 2.80 x 0.37 inches (140 x 71 x 9.4 mm)

UvXcj7Nl.jpg
Zh3S1apl.jpg

ZTE Grand S (Unknown American Avaliability)

Quadcore 1.7GHz Snapdragon S4 Pro Processor
2GB Ram
13-Megapixel Rear Camera
1780mAh Battery
Dimensions 5.59 x 2.72 x 0.27 inches (142 x 69 x 6.9 mm)

ELCJb3Xl.jpg
Di2eFmyl.jpg

ZTE Nubia Z5 (Unknown American Availability)

2GB Ram
32GB Storage
13-Megapixel Rear Camera
2300mAh Battery
Dimensions 5.43 x 2.72 x 0.30 inches (138 x 69.2 x 7.6 mm)

zte-nubia-z5-460w.jpg
GBdLWtyl.jpg

Vizio 5-Inch Phone (Unknown American Availability)
5-Inch Display with 1080p Resolution
Dualcore 1.5GHz Qualcomm Processor
2GB Ram
32GB Storage with MicroSD Expansion
8-Megapixel Rear Camera

ZRjq6f0l.jpg
oL77Cegl.jpg

Sharp Aquos Phone SH930W (Unknown American Availability)

5-Inch Display with 1080p Resolution
Dualcore 1.5GHz Snapdragon S4 8260A Processor
MicroSD Expansion

u2xNwQ7l.jpg
cFv9uGIl.jpg

Lenovo K900 (Unknown American Availability)

5.5-Inch Display with 1080 Resolution
2GHz Intel Atom Processor
2GB Ram
32GB with MicroSD Expansion
13-Megapixel Rear Camera
Dimensions 6.9mm thick

MT7RZfZl.jpg
Lenovo-K900.jpg

Alcatel One Touch Scribe X (Unknown American Availability)

Quadcore 1.4GHz Processor
1GB Ram
4GB Storage with MicroSD Expansion
12-Megapixel Rear Camera
2500mAh Battery
Dimensions 5.67 x 2.95 x 0.33 inches (144 x 75 x 8.5 mm)

QYvxHx7l.jpg
spVKGgel.jpg

Even though this list is quite long, you might have noticed the absence of the rumored Google Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy S4, and the Motorola X-phone. I have only seen rumors and no photos of the device or official specifications. So for now I’m leaving these out of this thread until more well-sourced information about the devices are released.

Last edited:
Nice list, I'm tempted to wait for the lenovo but I'm going to give the atom platform another gen.

Beautiful list. You did a great job of listing some of the more obscure and lesser known models without falling into the trap of listing unconfirmed things (like the Galaxy S IV and Motorola X-Phone). Those phones will be great additions once we know official things about them.

However, this list will likely bloom if you are going to keep it updated. It seems that the 4.7"-5.0" range will be the new size standard for Android devices this year, with 1080p being the target resolution for all flagship models.

Trimlock I really doubt the Lenovo K900 will come to the US market, I read that it with be for the Chinese only.

Medion I'll try to update the list as it progresses.

Its worth noting the 16GB of storage and total lack of removable storage on the DNA.

Trimlock I really doubt the Lenovo K900 will come to the US market, I read that it with be for the Chinese only.

Medion I'll try to update the list as it progresses.

Right, theres that too but there will most likely be the international unlocked version you could pick up somewhere.

In terms of specs the LG Optimus G Pro beats everything else.

Right now my plan is to go prepaid in May. The phones on my watch list for the time is Optimus G Pro, X Phone (hoping with this) and the S4. What ever pops up I'll take a good look at but right now thats it. Too bad about the M7, if it really does only have a 2300mah battery its not even considered at this point.

Right now my plan is to go prepaid in May. The phones on my watch list for the time is Optimus G Pro, X Phone (hoping with this) and the S4. What ever pops up I'll take a good look at but right now thats it. Too bad about the M7, if it really does only have a 2000mah battery its not even considered at this point.

I'm going to decide between the S4 and the X Phone. The Snapdragon S4 Pro processors are starting to show their age. I mean, hell, the LG Nexus 4 was released with the Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU back in September 2012.

I think it's a bit late that these new phones are being released with Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU's. They're good however they will be outdated soon.

The only reason why the LG Optimus G Pro attracts me is the 32GB internal storage and microSD expansion. Now that's a huge advantage compared to the other phones.

I'm going to decide between the S4 and the X Phone. The Snapdragon S4 Pro processors are starting to show their age. I mean, hell, the LG Nexus 4 was released with the Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU back in September 2012.

I think it's a bit late that these new phones are being released with Snapdragon S4 Pro CPU's. They're good however they will be outdated soon.

The only reason why the LG Optimus G Pro attracts me is the 32GB internal storage and microSD expansion. Now that's a huge advantage compared to the other phones.

I think its mainly due to the Adreno 320. Best GPU they can put behind a 1080p screen right now. So these are our first glances the OEM's have to put whats best currently. I mean how long ago did LG show off the first 5" 1080p screen and we are already seeing them? less then a year?

I'm not sure I could ever own anything named poop spelled inside out.

Xperia Z is the best of those, but I already have an N4.

X-Phone will be very interesting, along with the eventual SGSIV/N3, of course.

I had a go on the sony xperia z yesterday at the 3 store (yes they have the real demo units if you ask) and I thought it was a beautiful phone. I think 1080p is a bit silly on the small screen as I find it hard to tell the difference between a good 720p screen and the 1080p. The build quality is the best ive seen on any phone. I really want the Z but ive been spoilt with the galaxy note 2 software and battery.

I'm just hoping that of these phones and the more that will come out soon that I can find one working with T-mobile's 4G network.

What I would like most with the proper GSM bands would be most importantly a good quality camera.
I had the Nexus 4 and it was a fantastic phone, but I had two complaints, the camera quality and the screen seemed a bit small after the buttons took up part of it's 4.7 inch screen. Besides that a good battery size, nothing too over the top, and a camera button would seal the deal. I think the Xperia ZL fits best, just wish it came a little thinner.

Good thread, never even heard of half these no brand slope made phones.

I like the skin and widgets on that ZTE Grand S, cool looking clok widget and weather. never heard of that brand before.

The biggest release coming up will be the Samsung Galaxy S IV of course, but no pics at all are around yet. I am dying to see what that phone will be about, more because it will show me what to expect for my next phone, the Note III :) Will the S IV have a fixed non removable battery case, like every other high end new phone released the last year ? Will it have a really cool looking design, like some Samsung engineers rumored to be saying last year, that their next flagship device will have an award winning artistic look. Will it be polycarbonate body like the One X ?

I am a big Nexus fan, but with rumors of the 5" Nexus-Five being another LG made device, I am not keeping great hope up. It will be announced at Google I/O in May, with an on sale date of June /July.

Goorola X :D = Google + Motorola pure Android device, the one we have been waiting for, since they merged. Supposedly released on all carriers this Summer, as well as the Play Store for $399 unlocked if you want. it will not be a true "Nexus" branded device, but have a few carrier bloatware on there, that is removable, pretty much is Nexus,just not named a Nexus.

It would be nice if you reordered the descriptions so every phone had all the same field filled out. If the info is not known write that. But field like removable battery, and removable storage would be important to see.

This is unreal how many companies want a piece of the phablet action. kudos to samsung for having the balls to bring this to market. I only give lenovo the right to copy them because lenovo is really pushing out alot of interesting products on the PC side.

Also why the heck does HTC order their buttons different on different phones? Seems stupid google needs to step in and standardize buttons and I am still pissed they got rid of the menu button. Mice didnt get less buttons with time they got more whos bright idea was it to take the best feature of android the 4 buttons and drop it down to 3.

I wonder what the next big mobile SoC will be. Almost every phone out now is using the S4, and almost all the new ones are S4 Pro. Samsung with Exynos and Apple with their custom design are trying something different on Arm, Tegra is pretty much dead and Intel is yet to match Arm's power consumption.

I'd also like to see a trend towards reducing bezels on phone. It's possible to fit a 5" screen in the same phones we have today without increasing size. That and bigger batteries should be a standard.

Also why the heck does HTC order their buttons different on different phones? Seems stupid google needs to step in and standardize buttons and I am still pissed they got rid of the menu button. Mice didnt get less buttons with time they got more whos bright idea was it to take the best feature of android the 4 buttons and drop it down to 3.

Blame Google. HTC are merely following Android guidelines. Google can't make up their mind on onscreen buttons, no. of buttons, what the menu key should do etc. Even their own apps aren't consistent.

I wonder what the next big mobile SoC will be. Almost every phone out now is using the S4, and almost all the new ones are S4 Pro. Samsung with Exynos and Apple with their custom design are trying something different on Arm, Tegra is pretty much dead and Intel is yet to match Arm's power consumption.

Tegra is hardly dead. They're getting many design wins and have been for awhile. Qualcomm does their own thing with custom MPCores, but on the ARM Cortex side, we'll see;

2013 - Cortex A15 dual and quad (Exynos5, Tegra 4). OMAP5 is likely dead, and Novathor seems to be dead as well.

2014 - Big.Little (Exynos5 Octa, Tegra 5) - Some Big.Little could debut as early as fall 2013.

2015 - Cortex A57 (Exynos6, Tegra 6) - again, could see some releases in tablets and such by late 2014.

Blame Google. HTC are merely following Android guidelines. Google can't make up their mind on onscreen buttons, no. of buttons, what the menu key should do etc. Even their own apps aren't consistent.

No, Google made up their mind very clearly. On screen buttons, 3 of them, in the same order. Menu button is dead because it sucked.

They have not wavered from that for 2 years now.

Good thread, never even heard of half these no brand slope made phones.

Now I know you've probably fought in the Vietnam war or something but it is 2013 so pull your fucking finger out.

Edit: Also, these phones are sikk. +1 on Lenovo

Everyone, chill out on the comment I made. Sorry it was offensive to some, I apologize. I have good friend, he's from India, but actually Chinese family background, and uses that word a lot in jest against Asian people as a joke. And I used it here too in very bad taste. I am sorry, that is unacceptable, and typically not my style.

Figures, half these phones wont come to America I bet.

While HTC and all the sub android manufacturers whore out as much 8mp camera phones as they can, japan and europe STILL get the best.

BS I say.

Everyone, chill out on the comment I made. Sorry it was offensive to some, I apologize. I have good friend, he's from India, but actually Chinese family background, and uses that word a lot in jest against Asian people as a joke. And I used it here too in very bad taste. I am sorry, that is unacceptable, and typically not my style.

Because you know 1 person that happens to be of a certain race and they are fine with such a comment does not mean that it's okay or gives you or anyone rights to use racial slurs.

Figures, half these phones wont come to America I bet.

While HTC and all the sub android manufacturers whore out as much 8mp camera phones as they can, japan and europe STILL get the best.

BS I say.

Doesn't matter to some, as they buy unlocked.

I could care less if any of them are released in the US, as long as I could buy it unlocked online from somewhere.

Only benefit from released US phones is that the ATT/T-mobile branded versions are usually cheaper than the international ones when buying at full price.

Doesn't matter to some, as they buy unlocked.

I could care less if any of them are released in the US, as long as I could buy it unlocked online from somewhere.

Only benefit from released US phones is that the ATT/T-mobile branded versions are usually cheaper than the international ones when buying at full price.

Maybe I am dissapointed becasue I never purchased a phone online I guess.
Where would you buy one of these? They actually ship internationally to the states?
What link do you recommend?

Sharp phones are pretty big in Japan. I am shocked they are not a player in the U.S. market ? I think a high end Sharp Android phone would be a big seller here in the States. They are known for making some of the best displays, and I am sure they can get very good hardware too, plus they are a big manufacturer, with lots of money and power to mass produce easily.

I would rather see a Sharp Nexus-Five, over LG. Well actually would prefer the next Nexus be HTC or Samsung again.

haha I agree.

Sharp makes some awesome screens.

Samsung Nexus 5 would be elite.

I have no idea why Google chooses LG over anyone else.

haha I agree.

Sharp makes some awesome screens.

Samsung Nexus 5 would be elite.

I have no idea why Google chooses LG over anyone else.

I have owned all three Nexus phones. Was excited to get the Nexus 4, but was sold out, so I went with the Note 2 on Straight Talk, running CM10.1 and LOVE it. I went to T-Mobile yesterday to see and play with a real Nexus 4, wow :rolleyes:

The Nexus 4 screen looks washed out compared to the Note 2, I know due to it not being AMOLED, but even the HTC One X screens looks much nicer than the N4. And the build quality seemed a mix bag, I liked the glass back, but it doesn't seem to all flow together, it has a cheap plastic chrome band that looks cheesy, and overall it seemed so small, and toy like. I find my old Galaxy Nexus to look better. The Nexus 4 just seems meh, ok, nothing so amazing, like I thought of the Galaxy Nexus when it first came out.

The Galaxy Nexus over the previous Nexus-S, was a night and day major upgrade, but the Nexus 4 over the Galaxy Nexus, seems almost a downgrade, yeah the internal hardware is way better, of course, but a Galaxy Nexus running Cm10.1 still is pretty slick and very fast.

here's hoping the Nexus-Five is much nicer, and not another LG product.

My biggest thing about the Nexus 4 vs other phones is the price.
For the price, you cannot get much better than what the Nexus 4 has to offer.
I hope more companies open their eyes and see a possibility of market to sell a $300 phone with out a contract YET having some of the highest specs in the available market.

My biggest thing about the Nexus 4 vs other phones is the price.
For the price, you cannot get much better than what the Nexus 4 has to offer.
I hope more companies open their eyes and see a possibility of market to sell a $300 phone with out a contract YET having some of the highest specs in the available market.

You are correct on that. No other unlocked phone can be bought out of contract anywhere near that price. The Note 2, iPhone 5, are all $649 or so. For the price, the Nexus 4 best.

Well no one else makes money off the play store nor has a huge vested interest in the success of the android platform, most companies could easily go all WP8 if they had to. They will sell hardware at a profit or they wont bother.

I have owned all three Nexus phones. Was excited to get the Nexus 4, but was sold out, so I went with the Note 2 on Straight Talk, running CM10.1 and LOVE it. I went to T-Mobile yesterday to see and play with a real Nexus 4, wow :rolleyes:

The Nexus 4 screen looks washed out compared to the Note 2, I know due to it not being AMOLED, but even the HTC One X screens looks much nicer than the N4. And the build quality seemed a mix bag, I liked the glass back, but it doesn't seem to all flow together, it has a cheap plastic chrome band that looks cheesy, and overall it seemed so small, and toy like. I find my old Galaxy Nexus to look better. The Nexus 4 just seems meh, ok, nothing so amazing, like I thought of the Galaxy Nexus when it first came out.

The Galaxy Nexus over the previous Nexus-S, was a night and day major upgrade, but the Nexus 4 over the Galaxy Nexus, seems almost a downgrade, yeah the internal hardware is way better, of course, but a Galaxy Nexus running Cm10.1 still is pretty slick and very fast.

here's hoping the Nexus-Five is much nicer, and not another LG product.

I'm betting you would be making the same criticisms about <insert phone here> had you managed to get a Nexus 4 in the first place.

Back