1080 ti bottleneck

Nvidia_ATI

Limp Gawd
I currently have a 1080ti FTW3 and just snagged a FTW3 hybrid for SLI. I realize that SLI is dying a slow death but this is [H] so go hard or go home :D. My question is will my current CPU and mobo combo bottleneck my GPUs? I read that there is a small performance loss using PCie 3.0 8x. My bigger concern is my old i7-4770k CPU overclocked to 4.4GHz. Will I get a CPU bottleneck? I am already seeing lower than expected frame rates in games like FarCry 3 which I am struggling to debug and fear it might be a CPU bottleneck. Your advice will be much appreciated.

If you are talking about a playable difference at 60fps bottleneck then no in 99.99% of cases. Watch Dogs 2 is about the only game where I can't maintain 60 fps at times due to cpu limitations. If you are talking about 120/144 hz screen then yes of course its a limitation especially in cpu dependent games.

Personally I think going SLI is pretty idiotic but hey if it makes you feel [H] to waste money and create more headaches for yourself then go right ahead. In the last techpowerup SLI review, 1/3 of even AAA games had NO support for multi gpu at all. That does not even get into all the potential issues in games that do support it. And your issues with Far Cry 3 are probably just SLI related as it runs perfectly fine on a single 1080 ti and 4770k.

The question maybe should be would it really make a gaming difference, something that you would even care about or even notice?

I know for me it does not.

The answer is yes the 4770k is going to bottleneck two 1080tis if you are trying to push 144 fps on that ROG swift you have in some games. You would be better off with a one of the 6+ core extreme editions (5930k/6850k/7800x) or a 8700k but by how much, i'm not too sure.

I don't understand purchasing two video cards worth $1600+ when owning a core system worth around $300.

Regardless, a single 1080 or 1080TI will probably get an additional 15-20 fps on a 8700K system.

If you are talking about a playable difference at 60fps bottleneck then no in 99.99% of cases. Watch Dogs 2 is about the only game where I can't maintain 60 fps at times due to cpu limitations. If you are talking about 120/144 hz screen then yes of course its a limitation especially in cpu dependent games.

Personally I think going SLI is pretty idiotic but hey if it makes you feel [H] to waste money and create more headaches for yourself then go right ahead. In the last techpowerup SLI review, 1/3 of even AAA games had NO support for multi gpu at all. That does not even get into all the potential issues in games that do support it. And your issues with Far Cry 3 are probably just SLI related as it runs perfectly fine on a single 1080 ti and 4770k.

I have a 144Hz gsync monitor so I am talking about 100+ frame rates. I currently only have one 1080ti so my frame rate problems in Far Cry 3 are not due to SLI. What frame rates are you getting and at what settings? I am also noticing that gsync does not seem to be working. There is a lot of stutter in the games I play.

You make very good points about the hassle and poor support for SLI which I am aware off and agree with.

The question maybe should be would it really make a gaming difference, something that you would even care about or even notice?

I know for me it does not.

For me, I would notice because I am trying to get at least 120fps in all games. There is a big difference between 60Hz and 120Hz in terms of smoothness.

The answer is yes the 4770k is going to bottleneck two 1080tis if you are trying to push 144 fps on that ROG swift you have in some games. You would be better off with a one of the 6+ core extreme editions (5930k/6850k/7800x) or a 8700k but by how much, i'm not too sure.

It is just as I suspected. I am not ready to do a full CPU/RAM/Mobo upgrade yet. Perhaps towards the end of the year if this mining/RAM fiasco is over.

I don't understand purchasing two video cards worth $1600+ when owning a core system worth around $300.

Regardless, a single 1080 or 1080TI will probably get an additional 15-20 fps on a 8700K system.

Hmmm... when you put it that way, it does not make sense either! :D

Thanks guys for your perspective. I canceled my FTW3 Hybrid order and will stick with just one FTW3 until I build a new rig.

Get a monitor with gsync instead of a second 1080ti if you are looking for the smoothest gameplay experience.

It’ll feel a lot smoother and you won’t need 100+ hz to feel that way.

I have two 1080ti in my gaming rig and they are not sli’ed because it is wholly not necessary at 3440x1440. One 1080ti gets 90 FPS or better on every game I’ve tried on ultra settings. With Gsync and fast symc above Gsync range it’s smooth all the time.

The second 1080ti crypto mines while I game and both 1080tis crypto mine while I’m not playing games. No SLI bridge attached at all. I had s HB SLI bridge bit I can’t tell the difference with gsync, and So it’s just not necessary.

Get a monitor with gsync instead of a second 1080ti if you are looking for the smoothest gameplay experience.

It’ll feel a lot smoother and you won’t need 100+ hz to feel that way.

I have two 1080ti in my gaming rig and they are not sli’ed because it is wholly not necessary at 3440x1440. One 1080ti gets 90 FPS or better on every game I’ve tried on ultra settings. With Gsync and fast symc above Gsync range it’s smooth all the time.

The second 1080ti crypto mines while I game and both 1080tis crypto mine while I’m not playing games. No SLI bridge attached at all. I had s HB SLI bridge bit I can’t tell the difference with gsync, and So it’s just not necessary.

I guess someone hasn't read the whole thread...

OP post # 6:

I have a 144Hz gsync monitor so I am talking about 100+ frame rates. I currently only have one 1080ti so my frame rate problems in Far Cry 3 are not due to SLI. What frame rates are you getting and at what settings? I am also noticing that gsync does not seem to be working. There is a lot of stutter in the games I play.

Yeah sounds like OP is having problems unrelated to sli. FC3 should not have stutter on a 4770k/1080 ti. Don't you have a dedicated mining rig archaea?

Yeah sounds like OP is having problems unrelated to sli. FC3 should not have stutter on a 4770k/1080 ti. Don't you have a dedicated mining rig archaea?

I have several rigs. 3 are dedicated mining, 1 gaming/mining. My gaming rig currently has two 1080TI in it - they mine when I'm not gaming -- and one 1080TI mines when I am gaming. :)

back on topic ---

Maybe your stutter is related to exceeding g-sync range (>144Hz). I had that issue on my 120Hz monitor constantly too. Enabled Fast Sync in the NVidia control panel. See if that fixes it.

Here is my experiences with it.
https://hardforum.com/threads/my-experience-with-freesync-vs-g-sync.1952358/

Why have all that extra heat in your gaming pc with a card you only mine on? Just been too lazy to move it to the mining rig? :p

OP you can also try limiting FPS to a few under your refresh rate or just turn off gsync and put fast sync on and see if it goes away.

Yes the norm is to cap a few frames under the monitors refresh rate for gsync. So 144hz you want to cap the frame rate at like 141-142.

Use the nvidia control panel and do a global frame rate cap.. I think its possable.. if not usually you can cap the frame rate in the game.

Yes the norm is to cap a few frames under the monitors refresh rate for gsync. So 144hz you want to cap the frame rate at like 141-142.

Use the nvidia control panel and do a global frame rate cap.. I think its possable.. if not usually you can cap the frame rate in the game.
That’s not possible with Nvidia control panel, and Riva Tuner doesn’t work with recent Nvidia drivers to cap frames.

But fast sysnc (in NVidia control panel) works, and works well in combination with g-sync.

Last edited:
Not sure about afterburner but I know on evga's pxoc you can set max frames.

Not at my pc but you sure there's no setting under nvidia profile? A global setting or one you can make for as game?

Not sure about afterburner but I know on evga's pxoc you can set max frames.

Not at my pc but you sure there's no setting under nvidia profile? A global setting or one you can make for as game?
I asked about it in the link I referenced above and was told no. I web searched it and came up dry. AMD has such called frame rate target control, but Nvidia seemingly does not.

^^lol

I asked about it in the link I referenced above and was told no. I web searched it and came up dry. AMD has such called frame rate target control, but Nvidia seemingly does not.

Hmm, I saw your pic and it looks like you have RTSS server set to off man. Look at your attachment, the "On-Screen Display support" is set to off, which greys everything out.

I use RTSS for capping frames and I know it definitely works, at least for me.

Why have all that extra heat in your gaming pc with a card you only mine on? Just been too lazy to move it to the mining rig? :p
Open air case

THERMALTAKE P3

Heat isn’t a concern

40E76F7E-25A2-433B-8FA1-E02412A21059.jpeg

Great looking build! Don't worry about your 4770k, clock for clock it is very competitive with newer Intel processors still. Haswell is still going very strong. Also keep in mind that if you choose to upgrade to a newer CPU, you'll have to get a new board and DDR4 memory, and memory prices aren't the greatest now.

I have several rigs. 3 are dedicated mining, 1 gaming/mining. My gaming rig currently has two 1080TI in it - they mine when I'm not gaming -- and one 1080TI mines when I am gaming. :)

back on topic ---

Maybe your stutter is related to exceeding g-sync range (>144Hz). I had that issue on my 120Hz monitor constantly too. Enabled Fast Sync in the NVidia control panel. See if that fixes it.

Here is my experiences with it.
https://hardforum.com/threads/my-experience-with-freesync-vs-g-sync.1952358/

My stutter is not related to exceeding g-sync range. I am not able to get FPS consistently above 100Hz with settings at very high. When I look at the resource monitor, I notice one of the CPU cores is sometimes pegged at 100%. During those periods, I see that my GPU utilization is 50% and my FPS drops to 75Hz. I suppose this indicates a CPU bottleneck? This surprises me because I do not expect at 4770K @ 4.4GHz to be a bottleneck in FarCry3.

My stutter is not related to exceeding g-sync range. I am not able to get FPS consistently above 100Hz with settings at very high. When I look at the resource monitor, I notice one of the CPU cores is sometimes pegged at 100%. During those periods, I see that my GPU utilization is 50% and my FPS drops to 75Hz. I suppose this indicates a CPU bottleneck? This surprises me because I do not expect at 4770K @ 4.4GHz to be a bottleneck in FarCry3.
It looks like we have a similar system. I can tell you that the CPU is only a bottleneck in certain newer games that are more thread aware. Far Cry 3 should not be giving you issues. I get FPS drops in certain situations as you do, but it's not what I would call stuttering. I would call it normal, but FC3 doesn't have the best game engine to begin with. A drop from 100 to 75 should not be noticeable with G-Sync. I would suggest turning any overlays off and not worrying about the exact framerate you're getting.

I run a GTX 1080ti with an even older CPU And I think as long as you have HT youll be fine. If you start noticing alot of stuttering in games then maybe its time. For me, upgrading from a 2500k to a 4.8ghz 3770K was sufficient.

Games are finally starting to utilize more than 4 cores...so were FINALLY starting to see a need for newer CPU's, but at high resolutions your GPU is almost always going to be the major bottleneck

Amazing that people have high end stuff and get stuttering! Quick, throw it in the dumpster and let me do some dumpster diving!

Games are finally starting to utilize more than 4 cores...so were FINALLY starting to see a need for newer CPU's, but at high resolutions your GPU is almost always going to be the major bottleneck

Blanket statements like these aren't really helpful.

We've been using more than four cores in various ways for the better part of a decade; specifically, Hyperthreading in Intel quad-cores, the hex-core Phenoms, the Bulldozer line etc., not to mention the six-core Intel HEDT parts.

Many of these made a difference over lower parts not because games were demanding, but because in real-world use, they had the resources to get OS and background utility processes out of the way which facilitated lower maximum frametimes, and thus increased perceived smoothness.

Oh I agree we've had 4+ core options available for quite some time...the 2500k is showing it's age now, but if you can show another time when owning a 5-7 year old CPU was acceptable from a guru's standpoint I'll concede.

Back