1050ti only does x4

I have an EVGA1050ti sc that has been in my media machine. It has a weird quirk; it only wants to operate at x4 despite being in the x16 slot. This seems to be the case in more than one mobo. And today, I got a wild hair and wanted to try and test it for a game against an rx 470. The 470 ran at x16, so I know the motherboard was working right. Any clues why this thing only wants to be in x4??

If the GPU is idle, then I do remember nvidia cards dropping their PCIE to save bandwidth. You can try running benchmarks while running GPUZ to check.

Assuming it isn't that, then maybe some dirty PCIE pins? If not, maybe the GPU is probably damaged?

On the bright side though, I don't think you will be bottlenecked with that thing with X4 bandwidth.

I think there's a render check right in GPU-Z that will put a light load on the card to test the bandwidth.

If the GPU is idle, then I do remember nvidia cards dropping their PCIE to save bandwidth. You can try running benchmarks while running GPUZ to check.

Assuming it isn't that, then maybe some dirty PCIE pins? If not, maybe the GPU is probably damaged?

On the bright side though, I don't think you will be bottlenecked with that thing with X4 bandwidth.
well, the pins looked clean and I wiped them down with some alcohol in case they weren't. Still not at x16. That is probably the extent of the time I am going to put in it. Like ya said, not like I'm going to max it out. And even if I do...it is a 1050ti...not like it is a 3090.

Back