• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

~$1000 to spend on surround setup, please help!

Etherea1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 14, 2007
Messages
274
Hey guys, I've been doing some research and found this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1677665

I'm in the same boat, got a similar sized office I want to fill with decent sound for music and games. Don't own a receiver. That thread was from March, so has anything come out since that would be worth looking into? I was also thinking about keeping it simple and just ordering a box set like this:

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S9400THX&class=Systems&p=i

What are your suggestions? I'm open to spend a little more for quality stuff, so the $1k isn't strict...
 
Front/Rear: Polk Monitor II 30 -- $100 {cherry} - $120 {black} {x2} (@Newegg.com)
Center: Polk Monitor II CS1 -- $70 {cherry} - $100 {black} (@Newegg.com)
Sub: Bic F12 -- $215 (@Buy.com)
Denon AVR-1613 -- $350 (@Buy.com)
Cables n' crap -- $50 (@Monoprice.com)
Total: $885 - $955

If you really haveto spend all $1000, bump the fronts to Monitor 40's and the center to the CS2.

The Polk Monitor series is incredible value for money, and has been for years. The above prices are on sale, so you might want to jump on them. Then again, they're on sale as often as they are not.
The Bic F12 is among the best in its price bracket. You can't go wrong with it.
The Denon AVR-1613 is a damned good receiver, and the Audyssey automatic calibration simplifies the hell out of system setup -- and near-square rooms like yours have really crappy accoustics, which it'll really help tame.
 
Front/Rear: Polk Monitor II 30 -- $100 {cherry} - $120 {black} {x2} (@Newegg.com)
Center: Polk Monitor II CS1 -- $70 {cherry} - $100 {black} (@Newegg.com)
Sub: Bic F12 -- $215 (@Buy.com)
Denon AVR-1613 -- $350 (@Buy.com)
Cables n' crap -- $50 (@Monoprice.com)
Total: $885 - $955

If you really haveto spend all $1000, bump the fronts to Monitor 40's and the center to the CS2.

The Polk Monitor series is incredible value for money, and has been for years. The above prices are on sale, so you might want to jump on them. Then again, they're on sale as often as they are not.
The Bic F12 is among the best in its price bracket. You can't go wrong with it.
The Denon AVR-1613 is a damned good receiver, and the Audyssey automatic calibration simplifies the hell out of system setup -- and near-square rooms like yours have really crappy accoustics, which it'll really help tame.

Solid advice. Only thing better is to score a gem on craigslist.
 
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, got me some more research to do now! What are your thoughts on the setup used in the original thread I linked?

I ordered this morning. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ended up going with Aperion Audio because of the awesome reviews and the no hassle free shipping both ways if I don't like them. I took you guys advice and spent more on the front stage. Here is what I ended up with:

Center: Intimus 5C Center Channel Speaker $280
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-5C-Center-Channel-Speaker,109,29,253.aspx

Front Bookshelves: Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker X2 $370
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-5B-Bookshelf-Speaker,108,20,249.aspx

Rear Satellites: Intimus 4B Satellite Speaker X2 $220
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-4B-Satellite-Speaker,113,20,261.aspx

Subwoofer: HSU STF-2 Subwoofer $392
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

Total: $1262

Over budget but I didn't want any regrets. I'll let you guys know how it sounds.

I know I would still need to add my own receiver to this...

Whatever setup I go with, it's gonna be a huge upgrade for me. I've been rocking a set of Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultras since 2003 and they finally died on me. All I've been left with is a set of headphones and I just hate wearing stuff on my head.
 
For one thing, the prices appear to be way out of date. $350 center + $430 front + $300 surrounds = $1080 before you even look at sub and receiver. Aside from that, I believe Aperion has a good rep, though I've never heard their stuff -- my failing, not theirs. And the Hsu subwoofers are renowned for their quality and value, so you can't go wrong there -- I've got the VTF-2 mk. 4 in my home theater, and it is spectacular.

And regrets, well...there's always regrets. Home audio and consumer electronics; nothing but tears and recriminations.
 
Op, what is your zip code? Look around. I have not bought anything new in forever. Audio is one area you can buy used with confidence. At least for speakers. They either work or don't and usually don't have issues for years. A receiver is more hit or miss so new isn't a bad idea.
 
Front/Rear: Polk Monitor II 30 -- $100 {cherry} - $120 {black} {x2} (@Newegg.com)
Center: Polk Monitor II CS1 -- $70 {cherry} - $100 {black} (@Newegg.com)
Sub: Bic F12 -- $215 (@Buy.com)
Denon AVR-1613 -- $350 (@Buy.com)
Cables n' crap -- $50 (@Monoprice.com)
Total: $885 - $955

If you really haveto spend all $1000, bump the fronts to Monitor 40's and the center to the CS2.

The Polk Monitor series is incredible value for money, and has been for years. The above prices are on sale, so you might want to jump on them. Then again, they're on sale as often as they are not.
The Bic F12 is among the best in its price bracket. You can't go wrong with it.
The Denon AVR-1613 is a damned good receiver, and the Audyssey automatic calibration simplifies the hell out of system setup -- and near-square rooms like yours have really crappy accoustics, which it'll really help tame.

I agree with space, solid advice, except for the receiver. It's better than the Sherwood linked before but the AVR-1612 (last year's model) goes for $200-ish at a lot of places, even new, check some of the stores linked above or Crutchfield (where you can always knock off another $20 by calling in or using one of the half dozen discount codes floating around).

The 13 model just adds some networking stuff, smartphone app, and an extra HDMI input in front (instead of component). Not worth the extra cost IMO, specially for PC use. Edit: Crutchfield's out of them, accessories4less has it as a refurb for $180, worth looking around considering the cost difference is better spent on speakers/sub IMO.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

With the extra headroom in the budget you can opt for a HSU sub instead or upgrade the front speakers to something like the Monitor 40, Infinity Primus P163, or even the the HSU HB-1... Tho you'd wanna get the matching center channel to go with any of those which might put ya over budget. Actually I might just opt for a better Polk center channel instead of upgrading the fronts. HSU subs are hard to argue with at any price point, they've very good values, specially if you'll use the setup for movies/games AND music.

Edit: Were we talking $1,000 before the receiver? I'm confused... Anyway, you absolutely want the fronts/center to match (same brand and line preferably), not such a big deal on the rears tho, you can easily save a buck (or a Benjamin) there. Also, I think $1,000 is a really good target for a first time setup (including receiver), maybe $1,200 if you're going with a nice sub and center channel. It's tempting to start spending more here and there but like you said, most everything will be a huge upgrade from what you're used to.

Don't spend more than a third of the budget on receiver/rears, your front/center/sub are gonna do the bulk of the work and that's where you'll get the most for your money. I'd probably split the rest of the budget somewhat evenly between front/center and sub.
 
Last edited:
If you can go 2.1 for a while I would recommend spending most of your money on getting a pair of stereo speakers that would not need to upgrade for 30+ years, better investment. The Aperion Verus Grand are supposed some of the best value in high end ($600 /pr), also Axiom has a great reputation.
You end up spending less in the long run if you just get quality first and never need to upgrade/replace for a good long time, especially audio where it can last a lifetime. A great stereo pair (if getting bookshelfs get a sub) will destroy a decent surround setup any day.
That all being said it depends on what you listen too, while I stand by my above advice for everyone's starting point you can tailor your money. For example if your usage is mostly action games and some Rap/dubstep/ bass heavy music you would be well served at spending a good portion of your music on the sub.

Recievers - buy used, but if all you are doing is outputting sound from a good sound card (Xonar Essence) then all you need is an amp.

Brands to look at:
SVS make some great subs.
Emotiva - they make great sounding everything for nearly bargain prices since they don't spend money on appearances so much. You pay for sound not bling, definately might be the place to look for this build.

Until you give a more detailed breakdown of needs and usage it will be had to give specific advice.
 
A friend recently ordered a refurb Denon AVR-1612 from A4L, and it is spotless. I would not hesitate to go this route.

And +1 for D-Wiz's comments about speakers.
 
Thanks again for all of your feedback, I'm gonna take the day and carefully read through my options. Hope to be ready to put my order in on Monday. I'll let you guys know what I end up throwing together.
 
I am the one that started the post you referred too. I love my setup. Everyone that comes over is blown away by the sound. I have it hooked to a Denon AVR-1613. I could not be any happier.

Center: Intimus 5C Center Channel Speaker
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-family/intimus-5c-center-channel-speaker

Front Bookshelves: Intimus 5B Bookshelf Speaker X2
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-family/intimus-5b-bookshelf-speaker

Rear Satellites: Intimus 4B Satellite Speaker X2
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/intimus-family/intimus-4b-satellite-speaker

Subwoofer: HSU STF-2 Subwoofer
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html


You will be over budget but you will keep this setup for a very long time.
 
Just finished calling around and put in my order. My total was surprisingly less than I initially expected:

From Aperion:
I4B-2PK-BVW-Y2 1 Intimus 4B bookshelf speaker pair Black 176.00
I5B-2PK-BVW-Y2 1 Intimus 5B bookshelf speaker pair Black 296.00
I5C-BVW-Y2 1 Intimus 5C center channel Black 224.00
Total 696.00

The sub was $392.00 shipped from the hsuresearch.com site

Got the Denon AVR-1613 for $349 @ Best Buy in store pickup, price-matched with Amazon.com

Total for everything shipped was $1437

A bit over-budget but hopefully this will last me a long time and should deliver great sound. Thanks again for all of your help, I'll be sure to put up a few photos when everything is set up and running.
 
Last edited:
Don't hate on the Sherwood, it's a Sherwood Newcastle not a Sherwood.. Sherwood Newcastle is a beast. That receiver is a good one, better than the Denon INMO
 
I'd suggest getting 4 of the 5B's and not using the 4B's for satellite... It's not much more and if you run 4 channel stereo there will be nicer balance on the music.
 
It's funny you mentioned that, matteos. I just got a call from an Aperion sales rep telling me that the 4Bs they had sold me were already spoken for by another customer. I could either wait a few weeks for them to come back in stock, or he could upgrade me to another 'open box' set of 5Bs at a discounted price. I went with option 2...
 
That system will last as long as you want it to. Nice sounding setup I bet.
 
You will be very happy with your system. Please report back once you get it all setup.
 
Also, I forgot to mention that I am running HDMI from my video card to the receiver. No need for a sound card. Sounds great.
 
Good setup, it'll last you until you move it into a larger space and even then all you would need is a bigger sub (or two) to fill the room.

Also gotta agree with matteos about audioholics. Their reviews have never steered me wrong and they are quick to admit when "convential" audiophile wisdom is wrong. They also look at things in respect to their price point. I love when under cons they only list "none at this price point"
 
Some people wall mount the displays or they have a shelf above them that 's appropriate for a center channel... Or they just have the PC hooked up to a TV. Dunno, I just have a pair of bookshelves by my desk, haven't even added a sub to them yet, mostly I game with headphones unless it's something SP or somewhat more relaxed (strategy etc).
 
Where do you physically put a center speaker of this size with a computer setup? The keyboard is directly in front of you and usually the monitor is almost directly in front of the keyboard.

Mine sits on a shelf directly above my monitor at the top of my head level. Ideally you want the speakers at ear level, but like you said, it's hard in this kind of setup. It still separates the sound in surround nicely. Mine sounds awesome to me. It's not that big of an issue.
 
If you have the center above you monitor or head, just put something under the back of the speaker to tilt it down a bit. So long as it is pointing at your ear level, it will sound great.
 
Wow, I am mirin your setup. Nice choice. Give us a review once you get everything set up.
 
audiom.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

All the parts arrived today. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of moving into a new place and it's just chaos in the house for now. Please bear with me for a few weeks as I slowly unpack and settle down. I'll provide updated photos of the setup once it's finished!
 
Sweet, let us know how it turns out... Also, what a shameless shot of the Porsche, I hate you. ;)
 
Just finished calling around and put in my order. My total was surprisingly less than I initially expected:

From Aperion:
I4B-2PK-BVW-Y2 1 Intimus 4B bookshelf speaker pair Black 176.00
I5B-2PK-BVW-Y2 1 Intimus 5B bookshelf speaker pair Black 296.00
I5C-BVW-Y2 1 Intimus 5C center channel Black 224.00
Total 696.00

The sub was $392.00 shipped from the hsuresearch.com site

Got the Denon AVR-1613 for $349 @ Best Buy in store pickup, price-matched with Amazon.com

Total for everything shipped was $1437

A bit over-budget but hopefully this will last me a long time and should deliver great sound. Thanks again for all of your help, I'll be sure to put up a few photos when everything is set up and running.

I was curious about these so I decided to look them up to see if there happened to be a black Friday deal. Turns out the price has skyrocketed. Maybe the OP bought these on sale?

From Aperion:
I4B-2PK-BVW-Y2 1 Intimus 4B bookshelf speaker pair Black 176.00 -> 300
I5B-2PK-BVW-Y2 1 Intimus 5B bookshelf speaker pair Black 296.00 -> 430
I5C-BVW-Y2 1 Intimus 5C center channel Black 224.00 -> 350
Total 696.00 -> 1080
 
I'm pretty sure those prices are for the new glossy black finish. Mine are regular black and yes I did get a deal on them, one set was open-box and the rest were some kind of promo deal at the time. Still not set up by the way, I finally hooked the receiver up but I'm waiting for some furniture I ordered to arrive before finalizing the setup.
 
Took awhile, but I finally got everything hooked up. Love the sound! I know the placement needs to be better but this is temporary, I'm moving again soon. Thanks for all the help here guys, I really appreciate it.

img0584tz.jpg


img0582of.jpg
 
Yeah. When you make a permanent setup, get the center speaker above the monitor. I find having the tweeters at ear level or slightly above gives me the best sound.
 
Took awhile, but I finally got everything hooked up. Love the sound! I know the placement needs to be better but this is temporary, I'm moving again soon. Thanks for all the help here guys, I really appreciate it.

img0584tz.jpg


img0582of.jpg

I hope that system isn't hooked up to that laptop :eek:
 
In fairness, many (even most) laptops come with HDMI or DP these days. Both of which can carry basically anything digital.

@OP - What headrest do you use with your Aeron? Do you like it?

Also, enjoy the new setup!
 
The laptop is there for when I need to multi-box in EVE Online, the main rig is that black tower under the desk, works great as a leg warmer!

@ TESLA - I use this headrest:

http://www.amazon.com/Headrest-Herman-Miller-Aeron-Chair/dp/B003DDA0PG

Keep in mind, there is only 1 size and it may not be a good fit with smaller chairs. I am 6ft 1in, and use a 'C' chair. With the headrest in the extended position, it is very comfortable. Unfortunatly, as the second review down on Amazon states, it does tend to slide down out of the extended position and I haven't found a good way to keep it locked 'up' . Overall though, I think it's worth the money. YMMV
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top