$1000 for Titan isnt too bad, I spent $749 fot 7800 GTX 512s

Marcdaddy

2[H]4U
I forgot how much i spent years ago on 2 of these bad boys and i got them early to boot and Tigerdirect got in big trouble for selling them to me lol. So i think $1000 for what it can do sucks but there are some of us that will pay. My thread back when i bought the 7800 GTX 512s
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=977404

I forgot how much i spent years ago on 2 of these bad boys and i got them early to boot and Tigerdirect got in big trouble for selling them to me lol. So i think $1000 for what it can do sucks but there are some of us that will pay. My thread back when i bought the 7800 GTX 512s

Enthusiast-level (or nvidia's "Extreme Enthusiast") products always are a price premium.

3960x vs 3930k vs 3770k vs 3750K

670GTX vs 680GTX

etc...

Extreme performance usually costs extra, even if its only a small percentage increase over another performance product.

However....$1,000? Yeah...i'm an enthusiast...but i'm not THAT [H]ard.

Well i hope to sell of a bunch of video cards and PC gear laying aroung, im hoping i can only Pony up about $500 to $600 actual cash for 2 of them to start.

my first 8800GTX purchase in 2006

"This email confirms that you have paid ZipZoomFly.com ([email protected]) $706.08 USD using PayPal."

so a grand aint that bad. (but my english is :eek:)

my first 8800GTX purchase in 2006

"This email confirms that you have paid ZipZoomFly.com ([email protected]) $706.08 USD using PayPal."

so a grand aint that bad. (but my english is :eek:)

A 8800gtx was one of those cards in history worth every dollar spent. It was always faster than 7800gtx sli and a must have for high resolution gaming. There was no clear upgrade until the gtx 280 almost 2 years later.

I don't see how spending ~$700 on a previous generation card makes the $1k price not bad. Silly way of justifying it. $1k is overpriced plain and simple, I would not have a problem paying $200-300 less for Titan.

I agree, the titan should have been priced at 799. There is no card at that price point. And they would have sold more of them if they priced it a bit lower

I agree, the titan should have been priced at 799. There is no card at that price point. And they would have sold more of them if they priced it a bit lower

I think the premium comes from the GK110 being a compute chip, including DP performance.
Nv gave away DP on Fermi and I think we are seeing a price correction, along with no competition.

$2-300 of the price IMO is a price premium for DP and lack of competition.
If you don't want to pay for features you don't need along with the gouge, a GTX 680 4GB would be just fine for the gaming only crowd.

I would have prefered a GTX 780 than a Titan for $700-$800. Give us the extra shaders, extra ram, and extra memory bandwidth rather than nongaming feature$ like DP and FP32 compute processing. $1400 for SLI GTX 780s would have been much better than $2k Titans if you have a triple monitor 5760x1080p or higher setup.

I would have prefered a GTX 780 than a Titan for $700-$800. Give us the extra shaders, extra ram, and extra memory bandwidth rather than nongaming feature$ like DP and FP32 compute processing. $1400 for SLI GTX 780s would have been much better than $2k Titans if you have a triple monitor 5760x1080p or higher setup.

You may get you wish later this year.
I'm sure this isn't the last we'll see of the GK110, now that we know it's not limited.

ha I followed this thread before I registered at [H]. You originally posted a photo of your receipt right? I was shocked (and envious) that anyone would spend that kind of cash on video cards. Over the years I've tried a couple times to find this thread and reread it just for nostalgia, never could find it.

Well, off to read about some bitchin 7800 GTX 512's!

I might get a titan, still not sure. I play @ 5900(ish)x1080p @ 74hz and I would love to have one. 80hz vsync would be awesome

The comedy gold part of it all is the opposition of people that if they got their way would save them $300-600.

The comedy gold part of it all is the opposition of people that if they got their way would save them $300-600.

Looking at the Titan as more than a gaming card, it's worth it.
Gaming is second when it comes to the GK110, but people seem to think it's the other way around.

The gaming chips are sub $500.

Looking at the Titan as more than a gaming card, it's worth it.
Gaming is second when it comes to the GK110, but people seem to think it's the other way around.

The gaming chips are sub $500.

Well you can't blame them... Nvidia is marketing it as a gaming card.

Why not? Get as much money as you can from the gamer clientele using pure marketing. Large companies are already going to buy these instead of the other expensive options nvidia has

If the PS4 meeting is anything to go by DP and FP32 is about to become a much bigger deal.

Well you can't blame them... Nvidia is marketing it as a gaming card.

Yes, but....

The review here, and mostly everywhere else, pointed out the GK110 was a compute card shoe horned for gaming.
That should be the signal to everyone that it's going to be pricey.

I think the titan is cheep because I wanted a tesla but they are like $4000 because they have EEC ram and all that. this is close to it.

And heck, account for inflation and you probably paid more than a Titan! But yeah it's a rip :)

I would have bought it instead of paying ~$1,200 on 680 SLI ... But given the performance gap between a $1,000 Titan and the 680 SLI I feel like the extra $200 was justified.... if that was $400 though I certainly would have changed my mind.

the real question is if they'd sell double or more of them at $500-600 as they would at $1000. I would have bought one instead of the 670 I just ordered today. I would have paid up to $600 for one, this coming from someone who's never spent over $250 on a card in his life.

the real question is if they'd sell double or more of them at $500-600 as they would at $1000. I would have bought one instead of the 670 I just ordered today. I would have paid up to $600 for one, this coming from someone who's never spent over $250 on a card in his life.

I think so judging from the comments here. Maybe NV is waiting until they have enough volume before lowering the price. Although I don't think it'll drop that low, $700-800 seems more realistic.

It's like the 8800 Ultra when it came out at $1000. The 8800 GTX was ultimately a better choice, even at the $600+ it was going for at the time, but people still bought Ultras. I loved my 8800 GTX. It was devilishly expensive but it held up longer than any card I've ever owned and I don't see that changing any time soon.

I think so judging from the comments here. Maybe NV is waiting until they have enough volume before lowering the price. Although I don't think it'll drop that low, $700-800 seems more realistic.

I don't think you're going to see the Titan drop that low. Take a look at GTX 690 prices......

I don't think you're going to see the Titan drop that low. Take a look at GTX 690 prices......

But with the 690 the price/performance was/is MUCH better than Titan.For $1k= to 680 SLI,the performance was very close and in some cases better than 680 SLI and in single slot to boot.

I gotta say that was cool to read that throwback thread. Nothing better than the Christmas morning like excitement when you get some cool new toys. Was cool to see everybody breathlessly waiting for OP to get back and post benchmarks. That's awesome! Makes me grateful to have a place full of like minded people. Most of my friends think I'm an idiot for getting all giggly the week before a new launch.

i think nvidia's marketing is top notch. from thier banners, green colors, sense of value and quality you get from their cards. when i went to the boston, ma paxeast 2012 i was overwhelmed with nvidia and when i got home...i started picking parts on newegg. they got me.

The problem is that most enthusiasts already bought 2x 670/680 or a 690. So to get a definitive upgrade, you need to spend not $1000, but $2000. It's not a matter of whether people can afford it or not. It is a matter of whether it is a ripoff/overpriced, someone could price an t-shirt at $2000 and anyone with $2000 could afford/buy, but that doesn't mean it isn't a rippoff.

I think the premium comes from the GK110 being a compute chip, including DP performance.
Nv gave away DP on Fermi and I think we are seeing a price correction, along with no competition.

$2-300 of the price IMO is a price premium for DP and lack of competition.
If you don't want to pay for features you don't need along with the gouge, a GTX 680 4GB would be just fine for the gaming only crowd.

Im sorry but the 7970 is a compute chip and a damn good one at that. It even trumps the Titan in many open sourced compute benchmarks and last time I checked you can even purchase one for under 400$.

A 600$ premium for a card that just adds a handful more fps, cuda and physX ?? Really ??

The problem is that most enthusiasts already bought 2x 670/680 or a 690. So to get a definitive upgrade, you need to spend not $1000, but $2000. It's not a matter of whether people can afford it or not. It is a matter of whether it is a ripoff/overpriced, someone could price an t-shirt at $2000 and anyone with $2000 could afford/buy, but that doesn't mean it isn't a rippoff.

Exactly. For what it does compared to a 7970/680 I just don't see how anyone can justify a 500 to 600$ premium just for a handful more fps.

this was the card they originally were going to release as the 6 series, but due to stiff competition... however $1000 is alot though... and i'm an enthusiast myself with a high end rig, price wars needs to happen. Is there going to be a q2 launch ? ( haven't kept up with "gossip" )

Back