$1000 build for a friend

Bbq

King of Charts
My friend in australia is looking to build a computer for $1000 AUD, with parts ordered from www.austin.net.au and asked me for advice. Now I'm asking you guys for advice.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (starcraft 2, diablo 3 when they come out) and lots of general web browsing and movie watching. Lots of downloads, too, so a big hdd would be needed
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1000 AUD; let's have it both ways and see where it goes
3) Where do you live?
Perth, Australia
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Everything except peripherals and a monitor. Let's have it both ways
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Nothing
6) Will you be overclocking?
No
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24" 1920x1080
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Immediately
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
PCI-E, at least 4 SATA headers
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yes: Windows 7 ultimate x64

From what I can see so far:
Kingston KVR1333 2x2gb ddr3
Asus P7P55D-LE
Intel Core i5 750
Sapphire HD5750
Corsair TX 650
WD Black 1tb

comes out to $952, and just needs a case; I was wondering what you guys could come up with. Is it worth it going to one of them fancy new amd 6 cores or anything ?

Thanks

Last edited:
oh whoops, forgot about that in the excitement

I was thinking the i5 750

Well after checking out the prices for AMD and Core i5 setups, you're actually better off going with the Core i5 route like you originally planned. That site does not have decent prices or availability of AMD socket AM3 motherboards. So from a price to performance perspective while buying from that site, the Core i5 750 is the better choice.

Mobo wise, I recommend this mobo instead:
$109 - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55 mATX Motherboard

That'll free up some cash for a better video card:
$209 - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI-E Video Card

Then add this case and you'll be set.
$55 - Antec VSK-2000 ATX Case

Well after checking out the prices for AMD and Core i5 setups, you're actually better off going with the Core i5 route like you originally planned. That site does not have decent prices or availability of AMD socket AM3 motherboards. So from a price to performance perspective while buying from that site, the Core i5 750 is the better choice.

Mobo wise, I recommend this mobo instead:
$109 - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55 mATX Motherboard

That'll free up some cash for a better video card:
$209 - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB PCI-E Video Card

Then add this case and you'll be set.
$55 - Antec VSK-2000 ATX Case

Totally agree. Most people - even gamers - don't really need a full ATX motherboard unless they have a lot of internal expansion cards they want to use in the same system. Second, the HD 5750 is good, but the HD 5770 is well worth the extra bucks.

wow.. the selection of AM3 motherboards there is flat out pathetic.. It really leaves you with no other choices. If there is someplace else that you can order from & the 1055t would most likely end up a better option then an i5-750.

wow.. the selection of AM3 motherboards there is flat out pathetic.. It really leaves you with no other choices. If there is someplace else that you can order from & the 1055t would most likely end up a better option then an i5-750.

In fact, that Australian reseller does not carry much of any AMD motherboards. Not even the AM2+ DDR2 boards.

heh, for a second there i was like, bbq moved to australia?!? :eek: :p yes, i skip some words when i read, lol... :eek:

Back