<$100 vid card to max out cod5 60fps constant w 4xaa / 16xaf @ 1360x768?

PS3

[H]ard|Gawd
Need a very temp. budget card that will only be used to play cod5. Been looking around and it sure doesn't seem possible. FPS can't dip below 60fps(even with 3 smoke grenades popped), and must be able to run at max settings. That is the requirement, and card must be less than $100 before rebate/cashback/GC, or other BS Crap. I don't care about brand or warranty. I believe a 4850 will dip below 60fps at those settings, so I'm probably going to be looking for performance better than a 4850...I think. TIA.

Nah, I think I'll stick with retail.

well, then I'll tell you:

CoD4/5 and possibly 6's engine punishes any hardware harshly for massive particles.

Try:
Airstrike
Flamethrower
Smokes.

Those are the worst on the CoD4 engine.

You'll get frame drops no matter what.

If you really are admant about 60fps, then the 4850 will get you there, but probably with frame rate dips below 60fps. Minor, but unnoticeable.

EDIT: then again.... you are asking about a really low resolution...

Then buy a 4850. It won't give you a minimum of 60fps every single moment, but it will give you a solid framerate averaging well over 60fps.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/01/12/cod_world_at_war_gameplay_performance_iq/6

I estimate from the above review that performance will improve between %50 to %70 moving to your resolution (depends on what competent is limiting things), so the 4850 will be a solid choice.

This.

There are no other gfx cards in your price bracket so it's 4850 or nothing.

You can get used GTX 260s for ~$100, and used 512mb 4870's for ~$90. FS/FT is your friend.

I'm confused, I thought you had a 5870 on your pc that was heavily overclocked not too long ago? Are you after a temp card because the too heavily overclocking 5870 died? or did you sell it and your waiting for Fermi to come out to decide which card you want? Ah its gettting confusing following your story.

My vote in regards to the $100.00 video card to do COD5 at 60fps /w 4xaa and 16xaf would probably be a 4850.

Oh nm, you bought a GTX 295 /rollseyes

It's hillarious. A deal on a gtx 295 that I couldn't pass up. One of those impulse buys. I had a 5850 that I had heavily overclocked but sold that recently. I honestly don't know if a gtx 295 will fit in my case. I'm probably going to have to mod my case now.

Why ask for a $100 video card and then buy a $400-500 video card? That does not compute.

Why ask for a $100 video card and then buy a $400-500 video card? That does not compute.

Well I found one for less than what a launch 5870 would go for that's why. I was browsing for $100 cards and found a 295 at a price I couldn't refuse.

more case pic pimping:D

If it fits...which I seriously doubt it will. I can probably remove my intake fan and just use a side fan as an intake fan though, so that just may work. I don't know much about the 295. I know it's still a pretty good card, though considerably slower than a 5870 at high resolutions. I think it will be perfect for me at 1360x768 though for cod5, and should last me until fergie.

At that resolution, your CPU will be a bigger block then the GPU.

I know my HD4350 chewed through all but the most extreme settings on CoD5 multiplayer @1280x800.

Guess I'll just have to turn up the AA to 16x then, i know with sli you get to turn up the AA pretty high.

Dual GPU cards do virtually nothing at such low resolutions even with AA/AF. Your 5850 would have been better. Heck, a 4850 that was suggested would be a waste at that res.

Dual GPU cards do virtually nothing at such low resolutions even with AA/AF. Your 5850 would have been better. Heck, a 4850 that was suggested would be a waste at that res.

True, but I'll run some benches and we'll put that statement to the test. I have saved a lot of my 1360x768 benches when I had the 5850.

You also got rid of the 5850 at the wrong time. The 9.12 driver is suppose to add substantial improvements. [H]ard did a preview already with the beta version and they averaged a 10fps boost in NFS: Shfit. Just seems like a downgrade to me, and begs teh question as to "why" especially when there's no way you could have been suffering from performance at such a low res.

Somehow i think he never inteded in getting a sub $100 gpu and was basically looking for attention, Amirite?

No, I saw it for $330 and snatched it up. I though it was a too good of a deal to pass up, but man I am sure second guessing my decision now if that beta driver preview is correct then. Do you guys really think it was a downgrade? I thought the gtx295 > 5850.

So I guess you never went to a store with the intention to buy one thing...then bought something else. :rolleyes: Good night.

No, I saw it for $330 and snatched it up. I though it was a too good of a deal to pass up, but man I am sure second guessing my decision now if that beta driver preview is correct then. Do you guys really think it was a downgrade? I thought the gtx295 > 5850.

I personally think it's a downgrade, especially at yoru resolution. You really ought to do a bit of research before making an impulse buy. It's no secret that SLI/CF really don't scale very well until you're at 19x10 or greater resolutions, and you're nowhere near. More often then not, it will perform at GTX260/275 levels becuase of the poor scaling at low res, in which case it's a drastic downgrade from the 5850. The sad part is, you had a card that a lot of people can't even get now because of the supply/damand issues.

The 5850 is long gone, I sold it to a member here actually. I was planning on just getting a budget card and selling the rig because I'm moving soon and I have too much stuff. Then I saw the gtx295...then I started thinking...man...that would look good in my case :D. Pure impulse man. Perhaps it will be a downgrade come 9.12 drivers. People don't realize though that the gtx295 can be oc'd as well. I doubt it will have poor scaling at my resolution. I'll run some benchmarks @ 1360x768 when it arrives and make some comparisons.

Another comparison:

HD5850-21.jpg

This is the closest resolution they have to 1360x768 though. There is a pretty wide gap between the gtx295 and 5850 in both min/max fps columns. It really only stretches it's wings over a 5870 at 2560x1600 4xaa 16xaf it seems. I think for the price/performance factor...the 295 is worth it imo. I mean two 5770s would of cost more than what I paid for the 295.

OP expects a $100 card to sustain absolute 60fps constant w/ AA and AF.
OP asks for a $100 card then buys a $330 card.
The $330 card GTX 295 is likely too big and it wont fit in the case.
OP actually owned a 5850 before this.
And was also planning to move and sell away the rig.
The GTX 295 will be used at a grand resolution of 1360x768.

Things arent making much sense for me :confused::confused::confused:

this whole thread baffles me. First you make an unreasonable request for a budget video card. Then you spend an unreasonable amount of money on an oven that might not even fit. All for COD5?

Someone doesn't know what they need or want. Thankfully you have money to blow so it doesn't really matter.(like this thread)

No they certainly dont make any sense at all.

Why would you sell a 5850 to buy a gtx 295 for that res.... even at high res 5850 is great.

Trying to up his post count or something wrong in the head? your guess is as good as mine.

OP I suggest you upgrade to a 23 - 24" 1920x1080 monitor, although you'll probably walk out with 30" lol.

Why would you sell a 5850 to buy a gtx 295 for that res.... even at high res 5850 is great.

Trying to up his post count or something wrong in the head? your guess is as good as mine.

OP I suggest you upgrade to a 23 - 24" 1920x1080 monitor, although you'll probably walk out with 30" lol.

id agree with the post count..

sorry to say but if my 8800GT 735/1836/1005 can run COD:MW2 at 1920x1200 2xAA 16xAF with all other settings maxed out between 30-90fps.. then theres no bloody way in hell you would need a GTX 295 to run COD5 at your crapastic resolution PS3.. use some friggin common sense bro and quit posting these retarded threads.. at the most you would need is an 8800GTX.. that card should easily run COD5 at your resolution with those settings..

Impulse buy.

Impulse buy.

No, I don't want to game at 2560x1600, I like 60fps constant....:D

id agree with the post count..

sorry to say but if my 8800GT 735/1836/1005 can run COD:MW2 at 1920x1200 2xAA 16xAF with all other settings maxed out between 30-90fps.. then theres no bloody way in hell you would need a GTX 295 to run COD5 at your crapastic resolution PS3.. use some friggin common sense bro and quit posting these retarded threads.. at the most you would need is an 8800GTX.. that card should easily run COD5 at your resolution with those settings..

I don't care about post count. I know, man, it was an impulse buy, and I got suckered in due to the low price. My bad. :cool:

You guys do realized I got the 295 for $329 right?

this whole thread baffles me. First you make an unreasonable request for a budget video card. Then you spend an unreasonable amount of money on an oven that might not even fit. All for COD5?

Someone doesn't know what they need or want. Thankfully you have money to blow so it doesn't really matter.(like this thread)

His threads are always baffling.

Pairing a GTX 295 with a 1300x700 resolution monitor is beyond nonsensical overkill... It's like sticking a corvette engine into a go-kart. You are SO limiting the video card with that puny rez monitor. Should have spent your money on a better monitor first, then get a video card to power it.

It would be like I dunno... Buying a 1500W power supply to power a 4770. It does NOT COMPUTE!
Sure I spent $500 more for the PSU than I needed to and there's no way in hell the 4770 will even dip into that psu... but IMPULSE BUY! Huh????

I have to agree....why would you buy a weaker card for MORE when you had a smoking fast 5850 (that's hard to get) to begin with!?!?!?! I've had one since launch, and runs everything I throw at it wonderfully!

I don't care about post count. I know, man, it was an impulse buy, and I got suckered in due to the low price. My bad. :cool:

You guys do realized I got the 295 for $329 right?

So....SLI doesn't always give a performance boost for most games; The 5850 has decent performance, and should run all your games at insanely high frame rates. It was a very unwise decision to sell that card.

Back