100 Best Companies to Work For

HardOCP News

[H] News
Fortune has posted its annual list of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" and, as we've come to expect, the list has plenty of tech companies on it like Google, Intel and Microsoft.

Fat paychecks, sweet perks, fun colleagues, and over 150,000 jobs ready to be filled -- these employers offer dream workplaces. Meet this year's top 100, network with the winners on LinkedIn, and more.

Since there are no jobs out there this is might depressing. also many of those jobs suck. Who cares if you get crappy insurance along with $8 bucks an hour as a Starbucks. for the good jobs there are lots of competition. and there are like zero IT jobs out there. Unless you are a seasoned programmer. Or have 5-10 years of experience. people like me who are fresh out of college can't get good jobs. Also google may have dorms and fun stuff but you are also a prisoner of your job if you there since the people who work there also live there. :eek:

I've always had a fantasy of working at MS, then after talking to anyone I know that did manage to get a job there they were only able to get tech help related jobs with in MS (little redundant to have tech help for these people...) and didnt much care for it.

I am surprised Trader Joe's is not on the list. They give health insurance to all of their workers and 2 raises a year. They pay decent wages too for part timers and excellent wages for Full times. its a supermarket chain with some organic and non organic foods that does not cost a fortune.

My company is on that list.

Just FYI... the list is bogus IMO (past the top 10 at least).

You have to pay to get on the list and you have to market yourself to Fortune. It's bull.

My company is on that list.

Just FYI... the list is bogus IMO (past the top 10 at least).

You have to pay to get on the list and you have to market yourself to Fortune. It's bull.

I am curious how you came up with this? I work for one of the companies in the top 20 and I couldn't imagine our enterprise paying anybody to be on any list.

Indeed, what would be the point of paying to get on the list?

BTW - I work for one of the listed companies, going on 10 years now, and I think it's a very reasonable list, particularly given which other companies are on there and what I know about them.

Don't let Wegmans fool you. They speak one thing but practice another. Worst company that I (and many others I worked with) have ever worked for. They certainly do not deserve to be #3.

There seems to be a larger emphasis on the "ra ra" factor than on how good the company is to work for. For people who enjoyed high school rallies I am sure "flash dance events" are great, but I run a team of programmers and IT techs and none of them would enjoy having a company mandatory dance event or rally. Of course this doesn't stop me from having a DDR pad in the office. :)

Personally, I try to foster a work environment where the people here want to go have a beer with one another after their shift ends, rather than some cult where people stand around and chant mantras. As soon as we get our new offices, I plan on installing a bar, I will have to do some research on whether or not I need a liquor license.

Don't let Wegmans fool you. They speak one thing but practice another. Worst company that I (and many others I worked with) have ever worked for. They certainly do not deserve to be #3.

I have always heard quite the contrary. Everything I have ever heard about Wegman's is they are fantastic to work for. What was your job there?

I have always heard quite the contrary. Everything I have ever heard about Wegman's is they are fantastic to work for. What was your job there?

Started at the bottom pushing carts. Front end supervisor. Accounting office clerk. Pharmacy technician. after 5 years, you'd think that they trusted you and valued you as an employee. Turns out that when full-time positions open (which there are over 200 applicants for chain-wide), your history is purged and it's as if you interview off the street. Your awards, merit raises, etc is all waived. They only use that data to say "you may apply for this position". I was turned down for 5 job positions (full-time of the same position I was currently working in!) Friend of mine tried 13 times. Same result. They trust you to do the job daily at 32 hours a week, but bumping to 40 is a hurdle apparently we weren't good enough for.

If you drink with your boss, sleep with your boss, or suck up to your bosses, you get promoted despite your history of call-offs, backstabbing, lies, and deceit to your coworkers. We've seen numerous people move up the ranks faster than possible. One guy went from front end supervisor to department manager (a 3-tier rank) in less than a year, while others who worked far harder, were nicer to the customers and employees, fall behind because they didn't go party with the managers after work.

These tales can be told over and over and over by friends of mine who have all since left the company. Opportunities are far and few between to move up. Working hard gets your nowhere when the opportunities DO come up because histories are waived. It puts on a good face. But after being behind lines, it's "just another grocery story".

Interesting.

I had 8 months training at Infineon Tech and was pretty impressed working there. And it isn't even on the list.

Must be like a dream from a parallel universe come true to work in the top 10 companies from that list :eek:

I think it is kind of ridiculous that there are no manufacturing or infrastructure companies on that list. It just goes to show you how far this country has fallen in the last 40 years. Financial, health care and tech companies. I work for (I think) one of the few manufacturing companies left in America that could be on this list and they take pretty good care of the employees. Great health care, good paying jobs for welders and machine operators.

Back