10 Reasons To Have Your Geek Card Revoked

HardOCP News

[H] News
TechRepublic has posted a list of ten things that will get you geek card revoked. Oddly enough, stereotyping geeks as bowtie wearing, star wars/trek watching, MMORPG playing, antisocial nerds didn’t make the list.

Naturally, there are also some things that can hurt your geek cred. In fact, we’ve put together a list of 10 of the worst transgressions for any geek. Doing any one of these will put your geek credentials at risk. Do two of them and your geek card immediately gets revoked.

Really, the #1 reason was buying a book from a store?

Yes, and you have a credible online blog to go and make that correction if you wish because your top 10 is much better than anybody else's out there. Ever. Always.

Yes, and you have a credible online blog to go and make that correction if you wish because your top 10 is much better than anybody else's out there. Ever. Always.

Haha! I audibly lol'ed to that...

But I have to say, they did pick a good number one....

Well said, my top 10 is much better :D

Hmm... guess I lose my geek cred for #6. I've never seen Blade Runner, let alone know what book it's based off.

Hmm... guess I lose my geek cred for #6. I've never seen Blade Runner, let alone know what book it's based off.

I saw it ONCE, and I hated it. It was one of the most gawdawful boring movies I've ever watched.

What if our "outdated Computer book" is the text-book for a course we are taking?

I am taking an intro to Linux course this term. And that text is seriously outdated, it even comes with a copy of Fedora Core 2 ... :eek: But then the lab computers we are working with are at least 8 years old, so the two "fit" rather well.

Still the course is very "geek". In eight weeks we haven't even used graphical anything except for part of the install process. We spend all of our time in a terminal window, and half of that is through ssh on another machine.

Oh I know! Does it count if we don't "read" the dead-tree tome? I mean I will sell it back at the end of the semester. And I have not done much besides take it to class with me "for show". But we don't use the book "in class" at all. e.g. We don't turn in exercises from the end of each chapter... (Had I known I would have never bought it!) :)

Nor have I. I retain my geek card for the rest of the list though. Especially number 10, not much else on the internet, audio app wise, that I hate more than Itunes. Perhaps the collapse of Winamp after the 3.0 "upgrade".

Doing any one of these will put your geek credentials at risk. Do two of them and your geek card immediately gets revoked.

Geek cred still intact - just don't offend anymore.

10. Admitting that you like iTunes

Sure, it’s convenient for buying music and media in one place and syncing it to an iPod or iPhone, but iTunes has a draconian DRM system and it started out as one of the worst pieces of software ever built. And, it hasn’t gotten much better.
I love when people boycot something because they do something they don't like when if that place did not do it they would have no content.

DRM on iTunes stuff (remember stuff = anything but music now) is because of the industry not because of Apple. If they did not DRM it they wouldn't have anything to sell for you to complain about.

Wow, I loose out on a couple here. I like Barns and noble for getting real books, I never watched blade runner all the way through let alone what book it was based off of, and once I sent someone I detested to the geek squad knowing that they would fleece him

7 our of ten leaves me with a C grade only

Ya damn, I have never seen Blade Runner all the way through and I still prefer a paper book over a digital one, unless it is a reference book.

This guy must have just thrown something together to meet a deadline so he could go to Barnes & Noble and watch Blade Runner on his iPad.

But I pass them all. Especially 10. 7 and 2. Plus 1, hate those musty things. Apart from エロ漫画 which is always good for amusement.

I actually didn't know what that Blade Runner was based off of a best selling book, but I have seen it more times to count, not to mention owning it on every medium it was available on, even HD DVD. :p

Good list!

Although I think there are lots of folks who've known the difference between binary and hex for years/decades and couldn't care less about MMORPGs and Facebook. In 2010 you can be a geek and not know a thing about code or binary logic.

I actually didn't know what that Blade Runner was based off of a best selling book, but I have seen it more times to count, not to mention owning it on every medium it was available on, even HD DVD. :p

The Laserdisk is supposed to be worth a load! Unless it has laserot...

I love Itunes.

I love cogeco cable.

Aaand.

Never seen bladerunner. Gonna take a guess that the book it's based off is... Bladerunner?

I guess My G-card is revoked... Looks like I'll be getting laid soon then!

I saw it ONCE, and I hated it. It was one of the most gawdawful boring movies I've ever watched.

<geek>

The director's cut was horrific and missed much of the film's original intent. See the original theatrical release with all the voice overs - huge difference.

</geek>

What if our "outdated Computer book" is the text-book for a course we are taking?

I am guilty of #1 and #6

#1 for the reason mentioned above.

However, all that info being more up to date is a plus, but it is scattered across the internet and unorganized and if you find an ebook of it, chances are that is was the pdf of the book that was included on the CD that came with the book which would mean copyright violation.

...and once I sent someone I detested to the geek squad knowing that they would fleece him...

That does not diminish your geek cred, it's just good clean fun.

There is something about a tactile reference book. I guess it depends how much you need to get back to something very specific and exact that you've only read once or twice. Almost all of my casual reading is from ebooks, but for reference books I find it faster and easier to get back to something that I remember locationally, than try to find it in one of my lists of thousands of bookmarks. I'm hard on books I refer to a lot, I write in them, highlight the crap out of them and often have almost as many post-it flags sticking out of the edge as there are pages.

Let me know once I can do that to an iPad, Kindle or Nook.

Search just doesn't quite cut it either.

I also like the actual process of searching through a bookstore.

I guess I'm not a geek. Blade Runner was stupid and I'll never watch it again, nor give a shit about what book it's based on. I also own several computer related books. While they may not be fully up to date, they are still great for reference. I'll often study them in my off time when I don't feel like sitting in front of a computer. I also keep a pocket reference guide for linux in my server rack. When I'm at the data center I don't have easy access to a graphical browser, so having a printed reference comes in handy.

Does Barnes and Noble carry Knuth, K&R, Hennessy & Peterson (EE text)? I think they might at least carry some of Bruce Schneier's stuff. As long as you aren't trying to jump on the latest fad, dead trees can tell you as much about computers as anything else.

Don't try to get between a geek and his books (make sure you have a safeword before getting between her and her books).

other things:
Best buy. Kyle recently admitted being in best buy to check out nvidia branded cards. I have no idea why the author thought a geek would have anything to return to best buy.

MMORPG. Anyone who thinks MMOs need RP should read the noob.

And Philip K. Dick wrote plenty of other books. Yes, a few others had the entire point thrown on the cutting room for and a movie about something else entirely put in its place. If you want your geek card irrevocable by stupid bloggers, go to your friendly neighborhood dead tree store and buy some Hofstadter.

Nor have I. I retain my geek card for the rest of the list though. Especially number 10, not much else on the internet, audio app wise, that I hate more than Itunes. Perhaps the collapse of Winamp after the 3.0 "upgrade".

Lol, I still use Winamp 2.90.

I lose because I (like others) couldn't care less about the boring crap that was Blade Runner nor whatever it's based on, and because I love my FiOS.

I might've added something about Dungeons & Dragons to the list.

The only thing that I might get in trouble for is that I don't hate the cable company, although they do piss me off from time to time.

It's much easier to sit down and read a book about something (like Linux) than it is read websites/ google info.

And plus then you have to type the commands, not just cut and paste, so you're better at actually learning them.

Honestly that could have been any number of sci-fi movies. What sci-fi movie you like doesn't make you a geek, at all.

Also, my physical books have a much higher refresh rate and work when the power is out or after detonating EMP blasts to kill the robotic sentries chasing me.

Back