10 Reasons Not to Buy an iPad for Students

All the ipad defenders seem to be missing some important things.
Most college majors require certain specialized software for some classes, and that software will not work on an ipad, period. You need either a full blown mac or pc laptop or desktop. For an engineering student for example, there is no way you are going to get CAD software to work on an ipad.
Other majors have their own industry specific software, again typically not designed for an ipad.
For real work, you just need a real computer, and if money is tight, why have multiple devices? Focus on one that will do what you need...in other words a laptop...and be done with it.

Nope, I have not heard one person who likes iPads say there a
substitute for any computer at all.

Try again.

If you can't afford to buy both, then get a laptop as the Ipad isn't a full replacement for a pc.
However, a desktop + ipad is an amazing combo. Who really likes lugging around laptops(other than netbooks) anyway?
Nobody I know likes lugging anything, but for some classes in some majors you need the computer in the classroom. It's a requirement. The ipad isn't going to work, and you can't carry your desktop around, so the only thing left is a laptop.

The article is good. Most college students DON'T need an iPad. Hell, most people don't 'need' an iPad. As for the folks trying to make comparisons to tablets or notebooks, most college students don't 'need' them either. Yes, there are situations where due to class schedule and/or work demands a portable computer makes sense. That does not include most students. Yes, I like my shiny new toys as much as the next person BUT, I realize that is what they are.

Nope, I have not heard one person who likes iPads say there a
substitute for any computer at all.

Try again.

OK, no problem. I actually know how to read through the thread.

No, I'm an adult who purchased their own iPad back when they first came out. It's the only Apple device I have, so you can't exactly call me an Apple fanboy either. In this particular case though Apple came out with something that nobody else could match (much less beat) in price and come anywhere close to the same functionality. It's completely replaced laptop usage for me, and frankly I could see a college kid getting by with just an iPad. The only hangup is he'd need a wireless printer to print to. Everything other than that it can do. It has a word processor, browser, and entertainment. What more does a college kid need?

As far as it being a status symbol as some people are saying - nobody but us techies even knew what an iPad was when I bought mine, so you can't really say that's why I got mine. I just got tired of buying laptops that claimed 'UP TO 9 HOURS!' then got 3 in light, light usage (I'm looking at you Asus). I got tired of having to use a laptop stand with fans or listening to a laptop's jet engine fans (while simultaneously seeming to remain hot enough to cook an egg on). Now I can sit there, not have to worry about vent holes, not have to worry about heat, and know I can actually count on something to work the full 10 hours it's suppose to.

Most of the reasons seem like they'd apply even more to 'Don't buy your kid a laptop either!'

I mean, look at those reasons, #3 - it's too distracting with over 500,000 apps in the app store. Wouldn't that be even worse if you were talking about a laptop? Or #4, it's just too portable so somebody will want to take it with them more often. Better buy them a 17" super laptop then I guess - that'll teach them for wanting portability!

If you don't have a tablet I don't think you realize to what degree it can replace a laptop. Even for typing you can get bluetooth keyboard cases that act as a screen cover too for like $35.

OK, same guy quoted twice, but still, there are some who think an ipad can replace a computer.

OK, no problem. I actually know how to read through the thread.

OK, same guy quoted twice, but still, there are some who think an ipad can replace a computer.

Correction, there are some people who think a "tablet" can replace a
computer.

I have an iPad, iPhone, multiple laptops, and multiple desktops -- Some stuff is just too difficult to do on an iPad, such as having to copy and paste anything, or write something more than a couple sentences. I love the commercials now where they show a tablet automatically taking notes from speech-to-text. Yea right.

computer.

This is what the Apple CEO said about iPad taking sales away from MAC computers. CEO attacked the PC market:

"In terms of cannibalization, we do believe that some customers chose to purchase an iPad instead of the new Mac during the quarter, but we also believe that even more customers chose to purchase an iPad over Windows PC. And as I've said before, there's a lot more of the Windows PC business to cannibalize than the Mac. Also, we believe that the Mac has many other attributes that would make it continue to do well in the market. We're very happy that we grew 14% versus the markets growth of 2.6%, which is about 5x as Peter said earlier. And so that's what we see with iPad. As Peter said earlier, we were still selling every unit we could make during the quarter and that was the situation as we ended the quarter. As we stepped into July over the initial weeks to give you a more current update, we had been able to increase the supply further. And some SKUs and some countries are at a supply-demand balance, but we're still working very hard on the balance of the world. The sales of iPad 2 have absolutely been a frenzy for people to give one and we feel very good about the progress that we've made about ramping up and the reception that it received in marketplace."

Nobody I know likes lugging anything, but for some classes in some majors you need the computer in the classroom. It's a requirement. The ipad isn't going to work, and you can't carry your desktop around, so the only thing left is a laptop.

Example?

I completely disagree. Its a computer that can be bent to your will, jsut like any other. It CAN replace a laptop, but it still needs a 'server' of some sort to manage it and feed it. Thats where the cloud comes in. For the vast majority of users a MID (mobile internet device) a home server and cloud service is all they need, rather then lugging around a general purpose, designed-by-committee of 30 years of kludge computer.

computer.

Correction - What I said was it replaced my laptop usage. I still obviously have several desktops (otherwise it wouldn't make much sense for me to be here on [H]ardOCP). That guy is trying to make it sound like I said it would replace ALL computer usage - which is absolutely not what I said.

As for the people who say laptops don't overheat or aren't as loud anymore, I suppose it's possible the Asus I used was just poorly designed like you guys suggested. I know their customer service was terrible enough when the hard drive died that I won't ever be buying Asus again anyway.

As for the guy who tried to claim keyboards are a third of a netbook price, look around a bit more next time, just one example: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1112994/ $33 shipped.

This is what the Apple CEO said about iPad taking sales away from MAC computers. CEO attacked the PC market:

"In terms of cannibalization, we do believe that some customers chose to purchase an iPad instead of the new Mac during the quarter, but we also believe that even more customers chose to purchase an iPad over Windows PC. And as I've said before, there's a lot more of the Windows PC business to cannibalize than the Mac. Also, we believe that the Mac has many other attributes that would make it continue to do well in the market. We're very happy that we grew 14% versus the markets growth of 2.6%, which is about 5x as Peter said earlier. And so that's what we see with iPad. As Peter said earlier, we were still selling every unit we could make during the quarter and that was the situation as we ended the quarter. As we stepped into July over the initial weeks to give you a more current update, we had been able to increase the supply further. And some SKUs and some countries are at a supply-demand balance, but we're still working very hard on the balance of the world. The sales of iPad 2 have absolutely been a frenzy for people to give one and we feel very good about the progress that we've made about ramping up and the reception that it received in marketplace."

What relevance has this on the educational process and iPads?

As a college student, I can tell you that in my major (Business/IS), any application that is required for a class is provided installed on a computer in a lab. If you want to install it on your own desktop or laptop, great, but its not a requirement.

I can't imagine any school requiring a student to provide their own laptop in a classroom. How could the students functioning solely on financial aid successfully pass the classes? I know several fellow students that do all of their work in libraries and labs, and do not own a computer.

I can't believe the hack writing that passes for journalism these days. First he argues that it's expensive. All electronics of this caliber are expensive. Some are less at around $200 to $300 and some are more but ultimately if you are considering something like the iPad for a dependent just make sure it's age appropriate and that they are responsible enough to take care of it. Second he argues about content creation and editing. With a bluetooth keyboard, mouse and dock it can easily be a very nice small computing device for a child. Is it expensive? You bet. Is it reliable and will it not take up space? It's that too. Also it would do a much better job at controling the content your child could be exposed to as the parental controls are a little more stout than your average PC. Points 3 through 6 are crap and apply to computers as well. He has a point with 7 but what better way is there to make sure they have access to a vast library of books and that they don't get lost or lent to someone else. I can see the plus and minus to this one. Point 8 through 10 or just as overstated as 3 through 6. The same can be said for a laptop/netbook at that age.

Ultimately you should weigh age appropriate purchases with the responsibility of the user.

I don't see the problem with the iPad, I own one, and I use it really exclusively as an ebook reader, it's quite good for that purpose, I bought an iPad over the Kindle because it has a backlight and can do much more than the Kindle can do.

I get it though, it's cool to bash Apple and Steve Jobs, I personally don't give 2 shits about Apple or Steve Jobs, but this is ridiculous.

So is a cell phone, but every college student has one.

But since this is Apple, its a special case, I guess...:confused:

Really? Happen to have a cost breakdown between an iPhone and a brand "x" (samsung or LG or something) flip top phone?

The great draw of the ipad over laptops is:

1. Long battery life
2. Instant on/off (that really works)
3. Touch based apps
4. No media - ie all digital downloads
5. Small and light
6. Basically no tech support required

They are not laptop replacements, duh. People should stop using strawman arguments showing us how they can't replace laptops.

Having said all that, I now like my macbook Air quite a bit also due to items 1,2,5. This is the ultimate netbook (although at a premium). You get what you pay for.

I use an iPad for school, incredibly useful. The pros much out-weight the cons.

I can't imagine any school requiring a student to provide their own laptop in a classroom. How could the students functioning solely on financial aid successfully pass the classes? I know several fellow students that do all of their work in libraries and labs, and do not own a computer.

So... you've been out of school for a long time, I take it? A lot of colleges and universities provide laptops and calculate it into tuition.

So... you've been out of school for a long time, I take it? A lot of colleges and universities provide laptops and calculate it into tuition.

I stated that I couldn't see a school requiring a student to "provide their own laptop in a classroom". By that I mean a laptop that is purchased by the student.

If a school provides a laptop, then that's great. All the more reason for the student to not need their own laptop and just buy a tablet for email, media, note-taking, e-books and web browsing. I personally don't know of any public universities that provide laptops, but I'm willing to believe there are some.

On a side note, I have not been out of college a long time; I am currently attending a four year public university.

Is brand "X" or any other brand required to get an education?

No breakdown needed.
Is a computer? No it's not, it just makes thing easier.

The idea of actually having a cell phone stopped becoming a status symbol when most people had cell phones. Having the ability to give/get calls without being in your dorm/apartment is more of a trait of usefulness than status symbol, you having a $400 iPhone, with a $100/month "unlimited" plan when you're getting financial aide checks is more of a status symbol than being a useful device.

As a college student, I can tell you that in my major (Business/IS), any application that is required for a class is provided installed on a computer in a lab. If you want to install it on your own desktop or laptop, great, but its not a requirement.

Business major? Look at what it would take to be an engineer. Note, this is a small fraction of what I found with a quick google search. Here are just a few schools that require you to have a computer:

http://www.marquette.edu/engineering/students_laptops.shtml

The College of Engineering curriculum reflects engineering education in the 21st century. This means using the latest computer technologies in teaching and learning so students are prepared for a future increasingly defined by digital technology and team-based workspaces. As a result, all engineering freshmen and transfer students are required to have a laptop computer.

http://www.eng.vt.edu/it/requirement

All Freshmen and Transfer Engineering Students entering Summer and Fall 2011 are expected to purchase the following items:

A tablet pc meeting or exceeding our minimum requirement.
University Undergraduate Bundle
Engineering Software Bundle

http://www.bagley.msstate.edu/academics/computer/

After a thorough study of various methods to enhance computer skills, the College of Engineering decided that each student should have unrestricted access to his or her own computer. This computer should be available to them 24 hours a day; should be customized to reflect their preferences; and should be integrated into their everyday lives. Computer labs can not provide this type of access.
Effective with the Fall 1999 semester, all entering freshmen were required to have a personal computer that meets or exceeds certain minimum specifications.

http://www.engr.utk.edu/futurestudents/computers.html

Since the fall semester of 2003, the College of Engineering has required all sophomores in the college to have either a desktop or laptop computer.

I just got an ASUS Transformer for $300 at Office Depot, I had them price match Staples and their $100-off tablet coupon (applies to all but HP IIRC)... I think it rivals the iPad in everything but quantity of apps, which will come with time, and the optional keyboard/laptop dock makes it a LOT more versatile (it's expensive at $150 tho). I can hook up mice, hard drives, off load camera photos, heck even gamepads.

That being said, even though it'll stand in for my 2-yr old netbook in many instances it probably won't replace it entirely... AFAIK there's no Java or CC++ compiler for Android. :p I can't quickly do some rough video transcoding on an ARM SoC. For heavy work or gaming I'd still rather sit in front of my desktop and it's three screens. I certainly didn't NEED the tablet, and I don't think that anyone that genuinely needs a laptop in their life can currently replace it with a tablet... As long as they're running mobile OS they'll still suffer from too many limitations, for now. We'll see what happens with Windows on ARM and future Android/iOS/webOS versions.

For me it was a luxury buy... Instead of using my phone or the netbook around the house and on the couch I'll now use the tablet. When I travel for pleasure or my work/studying for the day involves more reading than anything else, I'll use the tablet + it's laptop dock. If I hadn't bought it I probably would've replaced the netbook with a more expensive ultraportable ($750-1,000 range) and I'd just be using that and my phone more.

I don't think anyone NEEDS a tablet like they need a phone or laptop, and even those needs are debatable... The only people for whom a tablet can replace a desktop/laptop entirely are those that don't need the latter for work/study. If your PC use consists solely of FB, email, and web browsing, go for it... But consider some of the iPad alternatives that still allow you to get a lot more done (other Android tablets can also be hooked up to existing external storage, TVs, etc.; without resorting to slow Wifi or expensive adapters).

The iPad isn't the only tablet on the market right now. The article should be about, 10 reasons not to buy a tablet. By just attacking the iPad, it shows that the author is anti-Apple.

There are really only two other alternatives, Android and Windows derives and while Android devices pretty much are the same type of thing in both mind and spirit Windows tablets are significantly different.

Personally I think the best overall computer for a student these days is a convertible Windows Tablet PC. Now the better ones are significantly more expensive than an iPad but they are just remarkably flexible and useful.

The greatest thing about a good Tablet PC for students is its inking capability and incredible abilities as a note taking device. Need to due calculate home work? Flip the screen into tablet mode and write as you would on paper. And what is handwritten is searchable. Need to type up an English paper, convert back to laptop mode.

Yes a good Tablet PC can get expensive but you should be able to get a good four years out of one and you'd have to option of going to Windows 8

I stated that I couldn't see a school requiring a student to "provide their own laptop in a classroom". By that I mean a laptop that is purchased by the student.

If a school provides a laptop, then that's great. All the more reason for the student to not need their own laptop and just buy a tablet for email, media, note-taking, e-books and web browsing. I personally don't know of any public universities that provide laptops, but I'm willing to believe there are some.

You misunderstand. When he says the university "calculates [the cost of a laptop] into tuition," he means that your financial aid includes an amount to purchase a laptop. The school may provide a means to purchase the laptop, but the student is ultimately paying for it. When I went to law school 7 years ago (at a state funded university), that was the case. I imagine laptop requirements are commonplace - it's hardly a major expense when compared tuition/fees/living expenses.

I know what you are thinking, only 10 reasons not to buy an iPad for students? The author was probably just trying to keep this short by narrowing it down to ten.

Somewhat, please watch the first half of the link.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM[/ame]

What more does a college kid need?

Well, it will help reduce unwanted pregnancies and it will help reduce drunk driver accidents (Those are just some of the silly things college kids get into trouble with when they actually have a social life).

I guess you can look at it many different ways.

There are really only two other alternatives, Android and Windows derives and while Android devices pretty much are the same type of thing in both mind and spirit Windows tablets are significantly different.

Personally I think the best overall computer for a student these days is a convertible Windows Tablet PC. Now the better ones are significantly more expensive than an iPad but they are just remarkably flexible and useful.

The greatest thing about a good Tablet PC for students is its inking capability and incredible abilities as a note taking device. Need to due calculate home work? Flip the screen into tablet mode and write as you would on paper. And what is handwritten is searchable. Need to type up an English paper, convert back to laptop mode.

Yes a good Tablet PC can get expensive but you should be able to get a good four years out of one and you'd have to option of going to Windows 8

Great points. I actually want a tablet for simliar reasons...plus it would be more suitable for the PCM tuning work I get into as a hobby.

Hmm, the Ipad has Word Processing and Spreadsheet at $9.99 each. I already have a couple bluetooth keyboards. All I would need the Ipad to do now is support a fortran/pascal/c++ compiler and it would do everything I needed from computers during college.

Funny, my first compiler, pascal, was for my first computer my apple iic. I sometimes miss that machine. Certainly a far less powerful computer then my current or last few phones, heck the clock on my desk probably has more computational power then the apple //c.

Back