10 Annoying Habits of a Geeky Spouse

HardOCP News

[H] News
At first I wanted to call BS on this list of 10 annoying habits of a geeky spouse but, the more I think about it, the more I realize it is pretty accurate. :p

Geeky projects that take over the house and whole weekends - We’ve done dozens of posts on projects big and small, from hacking IKEA bunk-beds to DIY iPhone stands. Some geek projects are simple and won’t take but a few minutes, and some just seem to take every bit of available space in your house.

and the old computer equipment that might be useful someday, you never know!

Definiately guilty of this one, also guilty of looking up something in the middle of an arguement.

8. Looking up information while a discussion/argument is still in progress

I do this all the time. Makes no sens at all to just keep arguing if no one knows what they are talking about lol (Including me).

I do three of them, the gf does 4 of them, and 2 of them don't overlap.

Guilty of 1,3, 4, 5, 6, and 8

As I only got married this past October I'm sure that I'll be guilty of 7 sometime in the future as well.

Man that is so true. We have a bedroom repurposed as the 'computer room' full of games, D&D books, hardware, etc. Then a closet full of her camera gear.

4 and 6 to some point. although i've been cleaning out a lot of my older stuff recently. just have a few spare harddrives and a few other extra parts now. as for 4, i don't really tear a movie apart as much as I will point out major plot holes or comment on how it part of the story could have been different, or how the movie just shouldn't have ever been made due to being horrible. i don't nitpick every minor detail.

guess i'm just not very geeky or something.

Really can't see why #3 is on there... what if I have a soft spot for Christmas and simply want to pull a Griswald decoration theme with the lights?

I've always felt in my heart though there was a difference between a geek and a nerd, and you actually can speak Klingon you my friend have tread over that line into nerdom.

Really can't see why #3 is on there... what if I have a soft spot for Christmas and simply want to pull a Griswald decoration theme with the lights?

I've always felt in my heart though there was a difference between a geek and a nerd, and you actually can speak Klingon you my friend have tread over that line into nerdom.

exactly, there is a difference between geek and nerd and i have to fully agree with you about that line there

I am guilty of 1, 3, 5, 6 (but its more of a closet/shelf in where I display Star Wars action figures / Legos and some are still in their original packaging.), and 8. Fortunately my spouse is also guilty of 4 and 5. Although it may be due to prolonged exposure to myself because she stole my Black T Shirt with the Imperial Logo on it.

4. Dissecting movies - Geeks, in my experience (and myself included), have a habit of picking movies apart, particularly just after watching them. We will discuss everything from the special effects to the minutiae of costume and prop design, but what gives us the most pleasure is identifying plot holes (no Binarypeople_2 matter how small), anachronisms, and goofs in general, and, in adaptations, picking apart the cuts and modifications. For some reason, this tends to annoy non-geeks who, I guess, don’t enjoy the process.

That's me. Even during the show I would sometimes mumble "oh come on! Give me a break".

I especially get annoyed and compare movies to their books I've read. Tom Clancy movies are especially guilty of destroying the real stories.

1, 2, 5, 6, and 8.

I've been known to let a "frak" slip from time to time. Couple of times I've been looked at like I'm an idiot. :p

My wife would tell me 8 is probably the worst annoyance to her. She says I go look stuff up because I need to be right.
I say I don't care if I'm right or not, I just want to know the truth (and if I happen to be right most of the time, well... ;) ).

I'm too lazy for #5 but otherwise spot on. Also I just want to point out

"I caught my wife using “frak” the other day, now that she’s gotten into Battlestar Galactica, too (yes, just as it’s about to end), but she claims to have done that just to make me smile and says it still annoys her when I do it."

Battlestar ended a long time ago, and please spare her from the final episode.

I would say 9 but only for Dexter and Lost.
Heck no...I wait until the season is over before starting it. I couldn't stand getting cliff hanged for an entire week on Dexter.

I don't do any of those....but they sure as hell annoy me when other people do...especially getting on the internet in the middle of an argument. It drives me nuts when people do that.

They mix being geeky and being nerdy. Geeky is ok, and just means you are enthusiastic about the things. Being nerdy about them means that you have crossed the line and are unbalanced, and thus fail at life.

i can attest to some of them.

they don't cover computer geek as much as i thought.

i DO NOT do 2 (gf has a mouth on her) and 9 (don't watch tv) and 3 is iffy... i usually do not care for holidays much at all because are are too busy doing other geeky things.

I'm really bad for the movie one though, people refuse to watch movies with me anymore (other than the gf) because we tend to tear them apart so bad.

I'm not geeky, there's only two on that list that apply. Some projects have taken over the house (Crestron home control), and I will use IMDB to settle arguements of who's in a movie.

Hmm. I match #8 only, and that's limited to using the iPhone Wikipedia app to avoid wasting time arguing - never, as the article says, in retrospect, for the purpose of winning an argument after no-one cares anymore.

I guess this proves something I have been saying for a while: being a nerd is like being emo: unless you consider yourself one, you're not.

Heck no...I wait until the season is over before starting it. I couldn't stand getting cliff hanged for an entire week on Dexter.

I don't do any of those....but they sure as hell annoy me when other people do...especially getting on the internet in the middle of an argument. It drives me nuts when people do that.

I do the same with BSG. I wait for each season to come out on DVD before I watch them. I prefer to watch them all side by side in a couple days.

using the iPhone Wikipedia app to avoid wasting time arguing

Strange, I thought using Wikipedia as a source of valid information was more a cause for argument than a settling of...

Guilty of 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10. :D

In fact, I'm so guilty of 6 that we had to specifically get a house with a basement so I could get to have a "man/geek room" (wife calls it my "office" when in polite company :p).

IKEA bunk beds? Bah!

It's all about the little table called Lack they have, it has the right measurements to fit about eight units worth of 19" racks in them, and they're cheap as dirt

And I guess I am guilty of #6, but the lady approves of it - we're both musicians and need more room for synthesizers and electric organs. #8 pisses people off around here (including some family members) because apparently it is impossible to listen and comprehend unless you're not concentrating fully on them. I'm multitasking like Lelouch, bitch!

Looking up information while in a convo isnt too nerd. I always do that.

Saying LOL, IRL, PST, WTF and other random crap like that is nerd. I am very guilty.

Back