$10,000 Uber Computer Build

Originally posted by Burning Phoenix
For a workstation go for dual Xeon 3.2's
For a server go for dual Itanium 1.5's
It's obviously neither. The "friend" has no idea what he wants. And it would be somewhat difficult to source the requisite hardware for an Itanium 2 setup.

Those cards are highley optimized for geometry and are will not do as good in gaming as your 9800xt. they are so expensive because of the very expensive open gl validation process needed to certify those cards for CAD applications so you would be wastin good money and getting less performance. Unless of course you know a driver code guru who could write a customer driver but that would only bring you to the 9800xt performance at 4 times the cost lol

We have massive problems with them on our dual Opteron workstations...they're fine on single...

I know that if it were me I would hold off and wait till the new factors come out.

Then get a good base system with upgradability and some bad-ass periphials (sp) like phat sound system and plasma monitor or duel 21"lcd

First and last ones a little over your budget but just to get you some ideas...

The Dream Workstation specs at geek.com $45,034 (Updated February 6, 2004)

http://www.geek.com/htbc/glandrwk.htm

The Dream Game System $6,979 (Updated November 17, 2003)

http://www.geek.com/htbc/glandre.htm

The Insane system (not updated since 2001 but just for ideas) $973,688.00

Of course no one would bother building this machine. It's not worth it. Hopefully, you will find it entertaining.
http://www.geek.com/htbc/glanin.htm

Hey boxx dude man, you need to work on your case designs. Kinda... oogly.

Gee i wish i were creative enough. I've had so many case ideas. Too lazy to build em.

edit: actually, for boxx, i really wouldn't care that much. its a workstation, its not going to be sitting on a desk oogled, I don't really care. But spiffy cases would be cool.

I talked to him over AIM a little while ago and told him that i could build myself like 5 NICE systems (even watercooled, each, lol) for $10,000.

He still want the uber badass though.
Ive toned down the specs though, i had no knowlege regarding anything in the realm of enterprise level comuter components.

So here is what we are thinking about:
Either an single FX-51 or dual 2.2Ghz Opterons
Asus SK8N for the FX, what are some good dual cpu Opteron boards?
GeForceFX 5950 Ultra/Radeon 9800XT
2GBs Corsair Pc4500 (maybe 4, depends how crazy his is)
4x 76GB 10,000RPM Raptors, or 15,000RPM drives
Audigy 2 Zs Platinum Pro
some cool aluminum case that i can mod (im thinking a sweet coolermaster fulltower)
And some watercooling, possibly even phase change if he wants to run he risk of that.

Peripherals:
Logitech Z-680's
Sony 22" Trinitron .24DPI flatscreen
Razer Viper mouse (YEA!@!!!! ill see if he can buy me one as payment too :D)
AND OF COURSE the LEGENDARY RatPadz GS
Belkin Nostromo n52 gamepad (this thing owns [H]ard style)

Also, these are pretty beta specs on what its going to be, i think he wont finalise his decision till after the next gen graphics cards roll around, so...

His Current system specs:
Something shitty with dual ATI rage 16mb PCI cards, lol. i can see why he wants a new comp so bad.... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Xpl1c1t
AND OF COURSE the LEGENDARY RatPadz GS
There is nothing legendary about the RatPadz GS. It is a nice pad, but not legendary by anymeans. You don't need to heap lavish praise on them, just because they are made by Kyle.

10k? gezus man...
i can only dream :(

have fun building that thing and take plenty of pics

leave the dual processors and get Corsair 2x1GB pc3200 sticks and a phase change cooler.

I remember a while back that guy had 30K 3dmark01se no photoshop with a fx-51 around 3ghz :confused:

Id also get 2x 74 gb raptors and then 4x250gb sata hdds
9800XT

edit: I stand behind my call though. Bluff

Originally posted by emorphien
Hey boxx dude man, you need to work on your case designs. Kinda... oogly.

Gee i wish i were creative enough. I've had so many case ideas. Too lazy to build em.

edit: actually, for boxx, i really wouldn't care that much. its a workstation, its not going to be sitting on a desk oogled, I don't really care. But spiffy cases would be cool.

They aren't meant to look like the riced-out, bling bling, acryllic window and cold cathode plastic toad stools on the market. ;)

100% aluminum, fab'd here in Austin...they're rather stunning in person, our customer's love 'em. So does AMD, they have a few that are always a part of whatever tradeshow they're doing.

Originally posted by Morley
100% aluminum, fab'd here in Austin...they're rather stunning in person, our customer's love 'em. So does AMD, they have a few that are always a part of whatever tradeshow they're doing.
They look really good to me too :cool:

They aren't meant to look like the riced-out, bling bling, acryllic window and cold cathode plastic toad stools on the market. ;)

I don't mean bling bling. I'm around a variety of workstations all day (No boxx sadly), and there's some really clever designs in some of them.

Originally posted by emorphien
I don't mean bling bling. I'm around a variety of workstations all day (No boxx sadly), and there's some really clever designs in some of them.

We're no SGI, but the internals are rather smart and well laid out...our HDBOXX and CineBOXX designs are sweet, IMHO.

We're no SGI, but the internals are rather smart and well laid out...our HDBOXX and CineBOXX designs are sweet, IMHO.

Actually, I like those better than a number of SGI designs. I was just thinking about the "standard" case. haha

Probably related to the idea of a dream machine I have.

There's a lot of talk about where L is fake or not. I read this site that did extensive work in proving they were a scam (much like Infinium computers and how they had all these bogus things about their company as it stands).

But then, L computers showed up at Comdex (computer industry trade show) with their 3 monitor array, a Mach system, and some other stuff. And Maximum PC received something from L computers in a recent issue.

However, I haven't heard of anyone actually buying or receiving an actual computer, so it's still up in the air to me.

The best speed increase you could get for a lot solid state hard drive

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/solidstate/
im pretty sre someone actually makes these. and zalman is supposed to have a non battery backup ver coming out(rumor?)

think of a 32 gig drive that is actually made of RAM and has battery backup.

this will make more difference than anything else because normal hard drives are thousands of times slower than RAM.

or you could just spend it on nice monitors that will cost 200 bucks in a few years :)

the L compuuters monitors are made by mass multiples in canada.
nothing else on their machines unique either. for instance the laptops are just another brand with a stone or something glued to it.

there is absolutely no reason that can not be real. after all alienware has been doing that same thing for ages.

I laughed the other day when I was at the l computers site and their "coming in february" computers never came. Hmm.

Put the extra money where it will be noticed, sound and dislpay.

Dual Opterons
2 Gigs ram
Radeon 9800 XT
Whatever the hottest sound card is nowadays
DVD Burner

Lots of $$$ Option 1:
Either an internal array of 15k RPM drives, or better yet external in a drive case on a fiber channel/RAID controller card

Raid controller is about $1000
Drives size up to you... 10 36 gig 15k seagates would fly.

Lots of $$$ Option 2:

BIGASS LCD/HDTV/dual LARGE LCDs/ Projector

Lots of $$$ Option 3:
Badass sound system. 7.1 surround sound off a reciever. What to get is a whole different discussion.

Basic System 3k

Raid 10 drive 4kish

Screen: 2k-5k

Sound 1k-5k

Choose what matters, personally I would screw the Raid and get a single scsi drive for my main OS drive and 4 300 gig atas for storage. That leaves $$$ for screens =)

build him a 500 dollar computer then take the money and run like hell. ;) just kidding i dont' support stealing in all forms.

just get the highest end of every product in every category and that should eat up about 10,000

tell him i also am taking donatiosn for my "going to college" fund :)

Lol I am going back in the day

he should get a 10k Desk!

lol

anyone remember?

Originally posted by Hiyruu
Vodoo is better.
I strongly disagree. Read reviews comparing the two systems. Personally, I prefer PC Mag reviews, and the Falcon always comes out on top. I don't think FNW pays PCMag because both FNW and Vodoo ads appear in PCmag.

Originally posted by El Spic
Lol I am going back in the day

he should get a 10k Desk!

lol

anyone remember?
pcgamez already made the obligatory 10k desk reference on page 3.

BS, plain and simple.
Anyone who has 10K in the wallet to start with, didn't get that 10K by making idiotic decisions like this.

Then again, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Originally posted by Pixeleet
I strongly disagree. Read reviews comparing the two systems. Personally, I prefer PC Mag reviews, and the Falcon always comes out on top. I don't think FNW pays PCMag because both FNW and Vodoo ads appear in PCmag.
From a style standpoint, the voodoo outperforms the FNW :cool:

Originally posted by sdk
when someone says it for his friend 99% of the time, its for him

ya theres is this guy i know, and he doesn't know what to do. this girls likes him and i oops i mean he kinda likes her back and ya....

rofl

Originally posted by Bunk454
BS, plain and simple.
Anyone who has 10K in the wallet to start with, didn't get that 10K by making idiotic decisions like this.

two words. Rich parents.

Originally posted by Bunk454
BS, plain and simple.

It's quite possible that he simply doesn't know very much about computers, and thinks spending 10k is necessary to get a "top of the line" rig.

Back