1 time use only, need to copy VHS to DVD

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
I did a search but came up with nothing. I am getting rid of all my vhs tapes, but I do have about a dozen or so that I want to convert over to DVD. What would be a cheap card to buy to do this as this would be the only time I would probably use it. I currently have a Leadtek TI4400 (with no video in) in my PC now. It's a AMD XP-2600 running Win XP-Pro.

For that price, maybe a standalone DVD-R or DVD+R machine would be better and easier to use. I think some cheap ones can be found for under $100. They operate almost like VCR's.

We use this at my work for converting safty video to DVD, its works well and it under 30 bux shipped...

My buddy used that Pinnacle device to convert about 35/40 VHS tapes to DVD, it worked really great for him.

Might be cheaper to let someone else do it. There are companies out there who offer tape to DVD conversions.

You could try a card that has VIVO and use video capture software (such as Nero Vision Express).

You would simply connect your video through a composite to S Video lead and then into the back of the graphics card (Scart to composite cables are available for your Video) and the sound into your audio input on either your onboard sound or soundcard (you would need to get an stereo to phono lead).

Not sure if I used the corrct names for the leads lol (surely someone will come along and correct me), but the principles there :p

I'm not sure which the cheapest VIVO card is out there at the moment though and don't know what the quality of the final image would be like as have never tried this with a video...

Many thanks to all those that took the time to respond. I've decided to go with this suggestion.

"We use this at my work for converting safty video to DVD, its works well and it under 30 bux shipped..."

I ordered from the EGG & should get it on Friday. So I'll play with it over the weekend & report back.

If it was one time only. I think you should have simply had somebody else do it. Encoding takes a very long time. It takes me 3 hours to encode a 20 minute tv show on my AMD2200+XP, max res/quality and filters included of course. And setting up the video and audio quality configurations for optimal output can be a hassle. Analog signal is hardly clean, and very noticeable on the monitor so you need to set up the filters to smoothen them out without making everything blurry. Not to mention that all that noise adds to the bitrate. Rather than using that 1 meg to generate smooth, clean lines, it instead goes to recreating all those annoying stray pixels.

It may work for I(illa Bee but his videos are probably fresh. Yours are from old VHS tapes and probably very noisy.

Thanks for the tip. I will be doing this on my 2nd box so there is no rush. I realize that It will take time. Most of what I'm copying over are homemade vids of family get togethers. There are a couple of full length movies. On a cold crappy winter day it looks like I have something to keep me busy.

Back