1 more hour till Windows 7 RTM? Vista RTM came out 2am EST on Nov. 8th.

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
So can we assume that in little under an hour we will be able to access one of the most anticipated Windows based operating systems off all time? Lets hear some count down chatter.

Hmm, I should probably read up. Can't wait though. Whats the latest differences between their latest public build and RTM? Much?

This kind of minute by minute plays is gonna get really fucking old fast. Every forum I'm on today is basically full of people posting crap like "Any minute now..." in hundreds of useless posts.

WE KNOW IT'LL BE POSTED ON THURSDAY AUGUST 6TH. NOTHING MORE NEEDS TO BE SAID TILL IT IS.

We don't need a flood of minute-by-minute calls and posts till it's actually posted.

Give it a rest, please, before this shit gets truly ridiculous.

This is the first dedicated thread here :p

Any minute now, any minute.

EDIT: and its not like I don't already have it installed on this machine :D

Wow I have never seen so many people have such a hard on for the release of an OS that has been available for beta testing for quite some time. It's not like this is some mysterious thing. Some of you really need to get a hobby.

Wow I have never seen so many people have such a hard on for the release of an OS that has been available for beta testing for quite some time. It's not like this is some mysterious thing. Some of you really need to get a hobby.

I have been waiting so I can switch out my hardware on my HTPC and my main rig. I have been waiting so I only need to install windows once now.

And here you are reading posts on people having hard ons for the release of an OS that has been available for beta testing for quite some time and commenting on them. At least we know what your hobby is.

Personally, I am not novelty excited, I am more "I can finally start tweaking and configuring for the (relatively) last time." -excited.

I don't expect my computer to all of a sudden be able to play all my games at 10% increased frames over the RC or my encoding to finish any faster. I just want to be able to start imaging and installing stuff for the long term. I want to be able to dup different stuff in different places on my drives without having to worry what I will need to move because of the raid, or because of this archive or that. Right now I have a list of things that need to be shuffled around and installed once the final OS is on a drive that won't be obsolete in a year. Once I get that all out of the way I can return to my zen state of productivity where I don't have to worry where my downloads or documents folder is and what is in it that I might need to keep. Right now my OS feels ephemeral and it actually affects my work.

It's feels very much like the difference between test driving a model car (or bike) and having driven said vehicle for 6+ months. Once you have for long enough, the car (or OS) ceases to be something you need to actively and consciously use to something that just becomes an extension of yourself.

-At least this is how I work.

You ask people on a hardware hobbyist site to get a hobby?!?!? I am confused.

You ask people on a hardware hobbyist site to get a hobby?!?!? I am confused.

Shall I edit it to say get another hobby? Would that make it better for you? Some of you are treating this like its the second coming of christ. It's an Operating System. It isn't going to get you laid. Won't bring world peace. Isn't going to feed all the starving kids in third world countries. With all the posts going on in regard to this I am amazed your keyboards aren't too sticky to type on.

WE KNOW IT'LL BE POSTED ON THURSDAY AUGUST 6TH. NOTHING MORE NEEDS TO BE SAID TILL IT IS.
This gives me the idea for a thread titled "So it wasn't 2 AM, maybe 3 AM?" which I can post if it doesn't come out in ten minutes.

Technet Page is the new Woot.

I'm hitting F5 again and again just waiting for the Windows 7 Bag of Crap.

lol, this could explain why its so slow. I'm just keeping an eye on the updated software section, should roll over to 7 when Win7 hits, currently at 6.

Giving it past, then I go nighty night.

Whats the best way to download it? Just hitting the download button in firefox? I've never downloaded anything over 500MB in a web browser before... always used a 3rd party app, FTP or something... Cant stand downloading a huge file in a web browser, having the browser crash / lose connection and then being f'ed. I think firefox supports resume but it never worked right for me?

Whats the best way to download it? Just hitting the download button in firefox? I've never downloaded anything over 500MB in a web browser before... always used a 3rd party app, FTP or something... Cant stand downloading a huge file in a web browser, having the browser crash / lose connection and then being f'ed. I think firefox supports resume but it never worked right for me?

The standard tool (akamai something) that MS uses to push Technet downloads works well enough. Never had a problem with it not resuming a download.

First off, you can't download it in FF unless your running IE tabs, second off Microsoft has an excellent client for downloading files that's part of Windows/Technet for downloading large files.

First off, you can't download it in FF unless your running IE tabs, second off Microsoft has an excellent client for downloading files that's part of Windows/Technet for downloading large files.

That's not true at all. MS even tells you how to download with FF.

That's right they have that plug in, totally forgot about it cause I could never get it to work.

This sux, someone at MS push the damn shinny red button already!

^ Load up IE and you should get prompted to install the Active-X thing for the Microsoft File Transfer Download Manager or whatever it's called.

That's right they have that plug in, totally forgot about it cause I could never get it to work.

This sux, someone at MS push the damn shinny red button already!

Wasn't even a plug in. Just open the default.mspx file that pops up with the download manager's .exe file.

Plug in? Ever since I subscribed to technet I've been able to download the OS'es using firefox without any addons. I just tested it out using the RC. The only plug-in I have for firefox is adblockplus.

I'll be getting that tool they use though it sounds great, I want something with guaranteed resume.

We are coming on the 2:30am EST now, looking more and more grim.

I seriously hope the delays aren't do to that chkdsk /r thing.

I would think that would delay them days, not hours.

Given the limited severity I think that's definitely hotfix territory. Even the President of the Windows Division basically shrugged his shoulders.

Guess I will download it tomorrow at work and install it tomorrow evening. It wasn't like I was going to be able to install it earlier than that anyway.

I would think that would delay them days, not hours.

Given the limited severity I think that's definitely hotfix territory. Even the President of the Windows Division basically shrugged his shoulders.

Considering that there is no proof it caused any BSOD's, and it is otherwise working as expected by MS, it is a complete non-issue to start with. Hardly worth any delay.

This is going as smooth as a Blizzard Expansion Pack -_-

I can't read the twitter here at work... 10am pacific?

I've also been expecting 2pm est. I checked when I got up this morning just to make sure, but I believe 2pm is more realistic. Thanks to the OP for getting my hopes up then shattering my dreams to pieces.

Back