1 Month old... all USB ports stopped working??

Incramus

Limp Gawd
I built this one for a buddy, worked great for a month and just the other day he went to power it on and none of the USE ports work.

Keyboard lights-up / works during post (I can get into bios) but soon as the windows loading screen goes away to does all the usb power....

I've tried the following:
Plugging them into different slots
clearing out the COMS
taking out the battery for a few hours
using just 1 USB port
booting with none plugged in, then plugging in after it boots.

>Thermaltake V3 case
>AMD Phenom II X4 965T
>Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P
>8 gigs of RAM
>Samsung DVD burner
>Rosewill Capstone 450W
>250 gig hard drive
>XFX 6850 Video card.

Take the mobo back and call it a day or is there anything else I can try that I'm missing?

There should be USB drivers on the CD that came with the motherboard. Try that before you call it quits.

Yeah, definitely install the correct USB drivers.

If it lets you get into BIOS, the USB ports are fine.

Sounds like another it might be another Microsoft Update driver update EPIC FAIL.

If it lets you get into BIOS, the USB ports are fine.

Yeah I kinda thought that was odd.... Think its worth a shot to go out and picking up an old school keyboard/mouse with a ps/2 port, just so I can get into windows and poke around?

I tried one of those usb-ps/2 adapters but the result was the same, actually I don't think it even powered on at all. But I dunno if an adapter is the same as the actual ps/2 port.

Last edited:
*****UPDATE*******

So I went down the street and got an old ps/2 keyboard. I was able to get to device manager and see there was and issue, auto update drivers and everything is all good.

what could have caused these? my friend only uses the computer to play D3 and swtor. and windows updates are turned off.

It happened to me too, it seems that computers don't like the NEW Keyboards, when I plugged in my old old razer keyboard everything worked and my lights turned back on, it's very weird... Can't say what it is...

Many/most/all MBs have an option in the BIOS to "Enable USB Legacy Support".

It's always useful to have a USB mouse/keyboard to set-up new MBs or OSs.

It's saved my buns many-a-time. :)

Good Luck

Many/most/all MBs have an option in the BIOS to "Enable USB Legacy Support".

It's always useful to have a USB mouse/keyboard to set-up new MBs or OSs.

It's saved my buns many-a-time. :)

Good Luck

Yes I enable it when absolutely necessary, otherwise, I have always disabled it. It impedes overclocking a bit and throws off the mouse precision a bit in games.

Yes I enable it when absolutely necessary, otherwise, I have always disabled it. It impedes overclocking a bit and throws off the mouse precision a bit in games.

I've never heard of that one but I'm not a gamer.

AAR, I wonder if it fixed the OP's problem.

IMHO it's pretty crappy when a problem is posted but then there's no indication what worked....or didn't work.

Glad to hear you got it working.

I can't tell you how many times i've worked on a computer with some weird issue and I find out the user did something to cause it. When you ask them if they did "fill in the blank" it's always the same response "I was just browsing the internet and it just broke".

Turning Windows updates off is incredibly stupid. Hope you enjoy having year old exploits used on you all day.

Back