1-in-3 Jobs Will Be Taken By Robots Or Software By 2025

And that TOTALLY would not create a resistance movement towards the authority with some sort of ideological backing. Plus killing civilians on a massive scale tends to undermine morale and erode the power structure.

This only works if the majority people are meeting base needs. If your population starts starving and the power structure is simply not providing means for them, it's simply not a stable system and is prone to being overthrown. This would be double in a place like the USA which has rebellion as as part of our cultural narrative. The exception to this would be some place like North Korea, where people are exposed to propaganda or brainwashing from cradle to grave, so the ideology necessary to overthrow a corrupt power doesn't hit a critical mass.

Propaganda can take care of that problem, that has also advanced significantly, the science/art of controlling the message. People are fighting it with cellphone cams and internet access these days, but that's a small thing to remedy when there's the will/need to do so.

Omg new "middle" class, Code <insert skittles color>, <insert group> has infiltrated our nation, recruiting <insert poor class> for their cause, survival is at stake, hide in your homes, we will protect you patriots from this menace to our nation.

Propaganda can take care of that problem, that has also advanced significantly, the science/art of controlling the message. People are fighting it with cellphone cams and internet access these days, but that's a small thing to remedy when there's the will/need to do so.

Omg new "middle" class, Code <insert skittles color>, <insert group> has infiltrated our nation, recruiting <insert poor class> for their cause, survival is at stake, hide in your homes, we will protect you patriots from this menace to our nation.

Smith Mundt Act repealed, read this.

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/p...ban_spreads_government_made_news_to_americans

Well if you think USA propaganda could somehow convince us to accept killing citizens en masse or starvation without revolting in some fashion (even if it's against completely the wrong people), I'd like to hear how. Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying how incredibly effective propaganda has been, just that I think it actually has limits with our current culture.

Well if you think USA propaganda could somehow convince us to accept killing citizens en masse or starvation without revolting in some fashion (even if it's against completely the wrong people), I'd like to hear how. Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying how incredibly effective propaganda has been, just that I think it actually has limits with our current culture.

Has limits? You mean like killing American citizens with drone strikes in foreign countries just simply because someone says they are a terrorist. Or like then killing said persons son in a completely different drone strike with no due process.

Yes, that is what Americans have accepted as normal due to propaganda, why care, its not our lives that are actually affected.

Has limits? You mean like killing American citizens with drone strikes in foreign countries just simply because someone says they are a terrorist. Or like then killing said persons son in a completely different drone strike with no due process.

Yes, that is what Americans have accepted as normal due to propaganda, why care, its not our lives that are actually affected.
It's because it's invisible to them and not happening next door. The earlier poster was talking about killing the population by a third or more as is necessary to maintain the economic status quo, thinking that would somehow go on and stabilize without being stopped in one way or another. If every 3rd person around you is being killed, propaganda can't just sweep that under the rug.

Boy am I glad that I'm a programmer.

Almost anyone who works in a Tier-2 or higher IT job will be more than secure for many years to come.
Computers have a loooong ways to go before they will be able to fix themselves at that level.

I'm going into the unobtanium-basket-weaving-by-hand business.

I'll market my wares as "authentic products from Nepal".

I don't see why not, many examples of that in both current and past here and elsewhere, we're only human, there's nothing special about us that would make us immune to what many other parts of the world went/are going through in this regard.

One example I can think of is the famous sewing factory fire in New York a century ago, prior to that event the city was embroiled in rampant protests and demonstrations by the working class and nothing was done: Workers were made villains by media and gov, police brutality was exercised, conditions barely changed - and in the rare event when they did it was mostly because a benevolent "aristocrat" was involved, not due to the plight of society.

It took a massive fire that killed hundreds to make people in a single city to pay attention, extrapolate on a national scale with modern tools and massive resources and it's not impossible to imagine we can accomplish a level of information control that China does today at the very least - likely much better than that if need be.

Better work your way up to manager fast, if you are in the fast food industry then.

Better work your way up to manager fast, if you are in the fast food industry then.

Middle management, maybe.
Upper management will have been replaced by robots long before the lower-level workers are, and with much higher results. :D

Back