1-in-3 Jobs Will Be Taken By Robots Or Software By 2025

They're also going bring us beer and take care of us in our old age so it all balances out.

That number seems too high by 2025. I think by 2030 is more likely. The recession has lasted so long that businesses have lost years of CAPEX purchases and upgrades. CAPEX is basically expenditures that are used to replace or upgrade fixed assets of the business. Also, something has to replace these jobs or the consumer economy will continue a downward death march into oblivion. The more likely situation is that society will actively limit the rate at which automation continues to grow until there is an economic engine to replace the lost jobs.

Yup. They have a robot in testing right now for my job. Could not believe it until I saw it. So I guess we become obsolete.

That just means the jobs will move into support positions for said robots. I work in factory automation, and lets face it, assembly line jobs are going to be eliminated by automation. Humans simply cannot compete on a quality of work nor cost effective basis.

I think the last jobs to fall to software will be creative jobs where some form of artistry is required, but even those will go in time.

The world is getting more technical by the day and our school systems are busy fighting over single words in outdated textbooks. If people think HS dropouts have a tough time finding work now, just wait until robots start replacing the janitors, burger joint workers, grocery store stockers, etc., etc. There's going to end up being a worldwide crisis of unemployed unskilled workers at some point in our future. I'm just glad I'm less than 15 years away from retirement myself!

That number seems too high by 2025. I think by 2030 is more likely. The recession has lasted so long that businesses have lost years of CAPEX purchases and upgrades. CAPEX is basically expenditures that are used to replace or upgrade fixed assets of the business. Also, something has to replace these jobs or the consumer economy will continue a downward death march into oblivion. The more likely situation is that society will actively limit the rate at which automation continues to grow until there is an economic engine to replace the lost jobs.

You make it sound like the companies doing the human replacement cares about the humans. Jobs are moved overseas to "save money" all the time. This is no different.

That will be 1 out of every 4 jobs in the next 5 years will be taken over by an automated process. McDonalds and other fast food places are already looking into it so they don't have to pay their employees the $15 an hour they're demanding.

They're also going bring us beer and take care of us in our old age so it all balances out.

That's right cause when I get old I want a robot that will wipe my old man's ass for me and it will do so without making cute remarks about what is sagging where and it's just play old Kiss tunes instead of whistling while it works.

I sometimes wish a robot would take my job. I want to still get paid though. Robot works, I stay home :D

You make it sound like the companies doing the human replacement cares about the humans. Jobs are moved overseas to "save money" all the time. This is no different.

Jobs are moved overseas yes, however by doing so new markets are created. So it isn't a total loss of customers. That is the difference between outsourcing and automation. Automation will remove customers. This will have to change at some point.

It's already here for writing. Want to write a novel? With this program, just fill in blanks http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/278261781.html

That only works up to a point. Eventually it starts cranking out the same scenarios and the stories are identical, Which is fine from a manufacturing perspective.

But actual crafted goods with high quality will never be replaced by machines. Machines can do the hard part of cutting exactly but even then it can still screw up. How many robots can assemble a 10,000$ watch?

No machine can truly replace a human in quality assurance or crafting fine goods. There is No soul in manufactured parts and the machines themselves are only as good as the humans checking on their quality and efficiency.

Been saying this for the last 10 years. ATMs and automated manufacturing were only the beginning.

That only works up to a point. Eventually it starts cranking out the same scenarios and the stories are identical, Which is fine from a manufacturing perspective.

But actual crafted goods with high quality will never be replaced by machines. Machines can do the hard part of cutting exactly but even then it can still screw up. How many robots can assemble a 10,000$ watch?

No machine can truly replace a human in quality assurance or crafting fine goods. There is No soul in manufactured parts and the machines themselves are only as good as the humans checking on their quality and efficiency.

I agree with the spirit, that the robots will not be able to pull off original crafted quality ...except... that robots are programed by humans, and the human that can assemble a 10,000$ watch can probably also build or program a robot to do the same. So although the robot can't create a Di Vinci, Di Vinci could build a robot to do what he has already done before.

My question is.. what is the point of a $10k watch except to flaunt the fact that you have more money than brains?

If machines can build electronic circuits that are as small as 20nm or smaller, then why wouldn't they be able to build a stupid expensive watch?

At my old employer, they had the QA team create a large test automation framework. Literally had them creating the end to their job. Once finished, they cut the majority of the team and hired overseas button pushers.

I assume that a large portion of those are prostitutes, and I welcome our disease free sexbots!

art-353-6767587-200x0.jpg

Every adult American get issued one robot. Robot goes to work. Person stays home, and collect paycheck.

Problem solved.

I was talking to a senior robotics engineer not long ago who works in the hospitality support and research sector where they are finding ways to bind robotic systems into hospitals to assist patients and surgeons where needed, robots replacing humans for some jobs are already starting to happen.

The first jobs that will be replaced by robots will be fast food takeaway stores, McDonald's, Subway and such. The robots will be doing a better job then teens who serve you a cold burger or missing a tomatoe etc, no wait lines and a consistent quality with food management in order.

It's arguable which side will wage lesser expenses, hourly paid work for employees vs expenses for maintenance of the robots and the one-off payment for buying them or rent expenses.

We are only at the stage where robots can do simple things. Jobs that variable complexity such as network administration or programmer won't be replaced by robots until maybe 2100 or beyond.

Every adult American get issued one robot. Robot goes to work. Person stays home, and collect paycheck.

Problem solved.
More likely scenario. Every adult American stays home all day having sex with their robot. No work is ever done, and no children are ever born. Humans go extinct. Robots take over, and do a much better job than humans.

People often ask what is the purpose of human existence, and clearly the planet wanted robots, and so evolved humans to build them. Once built and self-replicating, humans are no longer needed.

I believe this will happen, but I also wonder at what point will it collapse?

Think about it, if robots take all the jobs, people aren't working to purchase said goods. Therefore, these robots are making things that no one can afford to buy except for the select few rich people...but even then that micro-economy will eventually collapse.

So, my prediction, we, as in fat greedy rich fucks, will overdo it with the robots and fuck us even more.

You simply can't afford to not have people working to make money who then in turn buy shit.

I believe this will happen, but I also wonder at what point will it collapse?

Think about it, if robots take all the jobs, people aren't working to purchase said goods. Therefore, these robots are making things that no one can afford to buy except for the select few rich people...but even then that micro-economy will eventually collapse.

So, my prediction, we, as in fat greedy rich fucks, will overdo it with the robots and fuck us even more.

You simply can't afford to not have people working to make money who then in turn buy shit.

The job market will probably just shift. People will keep doing things that robots can't do. People will still be responsible for fixing broken robots. I don't think it will ever get to the point that robots are doing everything for their human overlords.

The job market will probably just shift. People will keep doing things that robots can't do. People will still be responsible for fixing broken robots. I don't think it will ever get to the point that robots are doing everything for their human overlords.

There won't e enough positions to employ the number of people that will be out of work due to the robots.

Some people will adapt, but overall will have higher unemployment, record people on welfare, and an insane amount of homeless, poverty, and government assistance.

There is no two ways about it, we will have to keep more people employed then the direction we're headed.

What is going to stop me from walking into Subway with a face mask and taking all of the cold cuts as the robot worker asks me what kind of bread I want.

What is going to stop me from walking into Subway with a face mask and taking all of the cold cuts as the robot worker asks me what kind of bread I want.

You won't get the grains part of your food pyramid if you do that so obviously fear of the food pyramid will stop you.

The fact that everything will more than likely be assembled inside the robot to keep people from doing exactly this. I'd imagine you'd punch in what you want and then pick it up out of a box.

There won't e enough positions to employ the number of people that will be out of work due to the robots.

Some people will adapt, but overall will have higher unemployment, record people on welfare, and an insane amount of homeless, poverty, and government assistance.

Indeed - the problem is not that we are heading to record numbers of unemployed citizens, but record numbers of unemployable citizens.

People who simply have no possible work they can do that will provide enough difference in value vs a machine for them to sustain their own life.

The very height the great depression, when the economy seemed teetering on collapse and the period you see all those despair-filled 'dust bowl' pictures from...was only 29% unemployment. Here, we are talking about 25% unemployment minimum in a decade - and no 'civil service' program or war is going to be able to fix that. Humans will become replaced in economic activity as obsolete parts, with the only people retaining any economic value being those who own the machines that do work in place of other humans.

There is no two ways about it, we will have to keep more people employed then the direction we're headed.

I don't think the transaction will happen that fast. People have been saying the same thing for years as technology gets better and people shifted to other jobs back then just fine.

There will eventually be a breaking, or saturation point, though.

Hopefully it won't happen super fast, but I fear it eventually will. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

There will eventually be a breaking, or saturation point, though.

Hopefully it won't happen super fast, but I fear it eventually will. Hopefully not in my lifetime.

Well I think it's going to happen to the fastfood industry real quick and real soon. Possibly even chain sit down restaurants. I've already seen kiosk type ordering devices at Chili's where you can enter drink and appetizer orders. Granted they'll still need someone to deliver the food and drinks to the guest. Fastfood restaurants wont need someone asking if you'd like fries with that.

It's an obvious direction in industrial progress, can't stop the quest for increased efficiency.

Advanced nations that lack proper educational infrastructure and/or citizens without the skills necessary to be useful in that future industry - for example researchers, engineers and advanced software devs that setup, maintain and operate the automation process itself - will probably experience something like the 1900s recession period.

I'm hoping the road to such automation will be gradual and accompanied by obvious warning signs and training opportunities to make the transition less jarring, but that's a bit optimistic considering the quality/rampant cost of education - and society/politics favoring things that offer obvious or short term returns on investment, education not being such a thing sadly.

We'll see soon enough I guess.

Back