1.5v vs 1.65

MrRatzer

n00b
Hi all

First time poster here.

Im currently looking into building a new gaming rig and I need some advice. Let me just start off by saying that I dont intend to do overclock anything. I'll post what I've been looking at below for reference.

But for now I need help deciding what would benifit the most. I've looked at these two sets of memory:
G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ @ 1.5v
Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D @ 1.65v

Corsair at the faster speed or G.Skill for less heat? I should mention that the price I can get these at are very much the same. Im not much of an expert, so pls elaborate if you have a good answer.

The build I'm looking to do:
Core i7 I7-950 8 MB
ASUS P6X58D-E
Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum (1 GB) - just getting one for the time being and I should mention that I originally looked at 5850 from ATI but apperently it does not run well with 120Hz monitors.
Corsair TX850W PSU
Antec Three Hundred CASE
Noctua NH-U12P

Thx in advance

Since you're not planning on overclocking, go for the G.Skill.

Since you're not planning on overclocking, go for the G.Skill.

Also, it has been shown on this particular platform that there is very, very little difference in the benchmarked memory throughput or latency tests between CL8 memory and CL9 memory. This, in turn, translates into zero or near-zero performance difference in the real world.

Too bad Corsair, like most of the other big-name brands, does not currently offer DDR3-1600 rated modules rated for less than 1.65V regardless of the CAS latency - likely because there is no current desktop CPU that officially supports DDR3 memory speeds above DDR3-1333. But after the i7-2xxx series Sandy Bridge-derived CPUs arrive in Q1 2011, expect the big-name manufacturers to introduce more DDR3-1600 modules rated at 1.5V. Hence, GSkill and a few other companies got ahead of the curve by coming up with DDR3-1600 modules rated at 1.5V or even 1.35V.

Too bad Corsair, like most of the other big-name brands, does not currently offer DDR3-1600 rated modules rated for less than 1.65V regardless of the CAS latency - likely because there is no current desktop CPU that officially supports DDR3 memory speeds above DDR3-1333. But after the i7-2xxx series Sandy Bridge-derived CPUs arrive in Q1 2011, expect the big-name manufacturers to introduce more DDR3-1600 modules rated at 1.5V. Hence, GSkill and a few other companies got ahead of the curve by coming up with DDR3-1600 modules rated at 1.5V or even 1.35V.

What would you be expecting to gain from this?

What would you be expecting to gain from this?

I included only the current market reality in my previous statement. The memory controllers on current platforms do not officially support JEDEC memory faster than DDR3-1333. The i7 version of the upcoming Sandy Bridge CPU will officially support JEDEC DDR3-1600 RAM.

Too bad Corsair, like most of the other big-name brands, does not currently offer DDR3-1600 rated modules rated for less than 1.65V regardless of the CAS latency
You know that the G.Skill ECO line of memory includes 1.35v DDR3-1800 and 1.35v DDR-1600/7, right?

You know that the G.Skill ECO line of memory includes 1.35v DDR3-1800 and 1.35v DDR-1600/7, right?

Well, I did not include G.Skill because I had limited my findings to those brands that are widely available in brick-and-mortar stores, and that G.Skill products are very hard to find locally.

Back