Samsung Releases New USB Flash Drives

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung Electronics announced a new suite of slim and sophisticated USB Flash Drives (UFD) available in three ergonomic form factors, each equipped with robust Samsung NAND flash technology. The introduction of this product line now provides customers with a more complete menu of branded memory products available from Samsung that currently include, a full line of SD and microSD memory cards, internal SSDs and portable SSD products. All of the USB 3.0 drives are also compatible with USB 2.0 and come in metal-based design equipped with Samsung’s robust NAND flash and equipped with Samsung’s 5-proof technologies and a 5 year warranty commencing on the date of purchase.

Samsung USB 3.0 flash drives come in three different form factors – Bar type as well as FIT and DUO types. The bar type offers a modern classy look with a light champagne colored, high-quality metal casing for added durability, and a streamlined spherical end for ergonomic experiences, which allow users to easily insert and extract the drive from devices and can double as a subtle key ring to help prevent loss. Measuring 40mm long and weighing under 9 grams, the drive is specifically designed for use in PC devices and is available in three capacities, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB. The drive offers sequential read speed of up to 130MB/s, allowing users to download a 2.4GB full HD video or approximately 40 hours of mp3 music from the UFD to their device in less than 20seconds.

Kind of ho hum... We've had cheap USB 3.0 thumb drives with sequential speeds twice as fast for years, and the duo is rather large. Kingston's tiny version of the USB A/micro OTG is way smaller.

The little tiny one's are great for the USB port on Ford SYNC systems.

My Patriot Supersonic reads faster than that. 4k performance is pretty bad though.

I know I'm paranoid. But I just would love for manufacturer's to have a small blurb about being immune to BadUSB. Even though it hasn't ever really been spotted in the wild.

I hate using a USB thumb drive on any of my devices if I don't know where it's been.

Like I said, I'm paranoid.

my main thumb drive is a 480GB crucial msata mated to a usb3 board.

works well.

I know I'm paranoid. But I just would love for manufacturer's to have a small blurb about being immune to BadUSB. Even though it hasn't ever really been spotted in the wild.

I hate using a USB thumb drive on any of my devices if I don't know where it's been.

Like I said, I'm paranoid.

Was that the firmware rewriting malware thing? Aren't most devices inherently immune in that the firmware is on ROM that you can't really rewrite? AFAIK the biggest danger with that was infiltration at the point of manufacture... I could have it all mixed up tho.

Was that the firmware rewriting malware thing? Aren't most devices inherently immune in that the firmware is on ROM that you can't really rewrite? AFAIK the biggest danger with that was infiltration at the point of manufacture... I could have it all mixed up tho.
BadUSB was/is possible on a wide swath of USB chipsets (and every USB device has a chipset). They are not in ROM but are in fact rewriteable. And, the guys who developed BadUSB demonstrated the ability to inject it into a device long after its manufacture.

Having said all that, it has never developed into a known threat in the wild (thankfully).

They always focus so much on the read speeds for these types of devices and I could care less about that personally, but write speeds, that I care very much about. When they can produce USB sticks that can write as fast as they can read I'll care even more I suppose.

They always focus so much on the read speeds for these types of devices and I could care less about that personally, but write speeds, that I care very much about. When they can produce USB sticks that can write as fast as they can read I'll care even more I suppose.

They do. You can also do the msata/mini enclosure thing.

Back