DOOM E3 2015 Teaser

I look forward to this announcement, and whatever else Bethesda plans on announcing at their E3 conference.

3 hour videos with analysis of the 3 seconds of game play footage inbound.

Looks sweet, im excited.
But, Fallout 4 is what im waiting for.

Can't wait! Only thing that could be better is a Fallout 4 announcement with an assertion that Gamebryo is finally dead and buried.

I had no idea there was still life in the old Doom/Quake series.

Doom/Quake to me are a combination of Deathmatch games and single player games very light on story, and essentially a relic of the 90's.

I prefer to let them lie buried as fond childhood memories.

I'm quite excited for this game. But then, I would be. :D I hope they strike a nice game play balance. I actually would like more of the Doom 3 style of play (with some improvements of course) but I know a lot of people really want the old style hordes of enemies, super-human run speed, etc. If they can get a nice mix of horror and action in a proper Doom universe, then I will be one ecstatic id fan. :cool:

Zarathustra[H];1041609849 said:

Doom/Quake to me are a combination of Deathmatch games and single player games very light on story, and essentially a relic of the 90's.

I still play id games from all periods fairly frequently. They're exactly what they should be. Raw, gritty, and visceral. They don't fit every gaming mood, but when one is in the mood for id's style of game, there is nothing better. I think you'd be surprised if you played some of them again, that they are still quite fun. Not for everyone maybe, but if you ever liked them, I think you'd like them again.

Have you played the new Wolfenstein games? They were exactly the injection that action shooters needed, and really brought a lot more into them in the process. I'm hoping for more of the same. However, it may be more Machine Games' influence that made the new Wolf games so great. I suppose we'll see when Doom is released if what's left of id can still pull off good things. My guess is that they can. But then, I enjoyed the hell out of Rage too, (still do on occasion too actually) and I know I'm in the minority where that's concerned. :D

Can't wait! Only thing that could be better is a Fallout 4 announcement with an assertion that Gamebryo is finally dead and buried.

Pretty sure they are never going to let it die. Skyrim was built on something they said was not gamebryo, but then people found out that it was still gamebryo but just modified and rebranded.

What's the issue with Gamebryo? I mean, it's largely (only???) DX9, but SKyrim was a really great looking game, and the Bethesda games made with it are incredibly modable...

What's the issue with Gamebryo? I mean, it's largely (only???) DX9, but SKyrim was a really great looking game, and the Bethesda games made with it are incredibly modable...

I ran into some issues with with Oblivion here and there. Nothing big, but the odd crash to desktop on rare occasions. It was also fairly unforgiving with certain INI tweaks, etc. However, I haven't had a single issue, crash, performance problem, at all on Skyrim. It runs flawlessly with plenty of graphical mods on all of my PCs. Zero complaints with it.

I kind of think the same. Then, I think of when I played Doom/Doom 2 (never a fan of 3). Just the sounds or opening a door or blasting a barrel and seeing a horde of baddies that you just alerted coming towards you all pissed off is fun. Story? Weak. Single player or deathmatch were awesome, though. Just simple run & gun fun.

doom without John Carmack:/

id is not the old id, oh how i miss the mp gaming side of the late 90s, Deathmatch was awsome and the community around was awesome.

oh and yeah racking up phone bills of over £1k so glad i wasnt the one pay them back then :)

Well, you can probably thank Carmack for them ditching their previous COD effort and going back to "demons and shotguns" roots.

oh and yeah racking up phone bills of over £1k so glad i wasn't the one pay them back then :)

If my parents had received a phone bill that size I had racked up through model use (be it for BBS:es or later, the Internet) I probably wouldn't have survived the day.

I still spent a decent amount of time using my modem.

Early 90s Sweden must have had lower phone rates :p

Thought that for a while myself. Then I played Serious Sam 3, Shadow Warrior, and the remake of Painkiller. I'd LOVE to see Doom come back in the style any of those 3 games did.

Zarathustra[H];1041609934 said:
If my parents had received a phone bill that size I had racked up through model use (be it for BBS:es or later, the Internet) I probably wouldn't have survived the day.

I still spent a decent amount of time using my modem.

Early 90s Sweden must have had lower phone rates :p

I accidentally (well, just out of pure young ignorance really) ran up a $600 phone bill BBSing in the early 90s. My friend and I thought we were onto something using a carrier routing code thinking it somehow gave us a free connection to other area codes. That was NOT a fun one to explain to my parents. :D I did a lot of extra work around the house for a few months to live that one down. Seems stupid now, but it "made sense" at the time. :D

I'd absolutely love a touch of Doom 3. (but with a bit more action) It did have a wonderful atmosphere. Yes, they could ditch the monster closets of course, but overall it was a very good game. I did enjoy Quake 4 a lot too, but I don't really want the new Doom to be anything like it either.

They should really make a game about Phobos from Quake 3 Arena. He was referred to as a "slipgate explorer" in the docs, which I found to be kind of a cool concept.

That video... isn't that what being on shrooms while at a Halloween fun house like?

Seriously... looks like SSDD.

Gamebryo is dinosaur tech. 32-bit, tied to outdated 64-Hz Windows tickrate, DirectX 9.0c, inefficient hashing algorithm for memory management... Those are just the major injustices for a game with more modern tech and programming paradigms available that I can think of off the top of my head.

Gamebryo is dinosaur tech. 32-bit, tied to outdated 64-Hz Windows tickrate, DirectX 9.0c, inefficient hashing algorithm for memory management... Those are just the major injustices for a game with more modern tech and programming paradigms available that I can think of off the top of my head.

All fair, but given Skyrim, if it looks good and performs well, who cares?

Who the hell is still playing a FPS based on story?

Give me a good shooter with a good story, or give me a good shooter with no story. Either works for me, and I'll enjoy either one. Give me one with a bad story though that I must endure to keep playing, and I will wretch all over the place. :p

Yes, they could ditch the monster closets of course,

I agree completely. In my opinion, it was the only thing wrong with Doom. Hell I can even live with the no flashlight on the gun thing. I accept that as a rule of the gameplay.

I pretty wore out on killing zombies, so I am happy to go back to shooting the shit out of some demons.

Like most here, I am fond of the series... Doom will get my money again.

Thought that for a while myself. Then I played Serious Sam 3, Shadow Warrior, and the remake of Painkiller. I'd LOVE to see Doom come back in the style any of those 3 games did.

the new shadow warrior was amazing. I am sure id took a good look at that game.

they're officially out of ideas.

Everything doesn't have to be a new idea. Innovation is great, but sometimes a highly updated and refined play on something that already worked is great all by itself. I can appreciate either approach. I'm more than happy to play more Doom, and from the tiny little bits of information out there, I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I'd love to experience something completely new that works (that second part is absolutely key though) and I'm sure I will at some point. However, new twists on things that work, refinement, etc. is important. There is a reason that certain types of games are popular, or give one a nice nostalgic feeling, even better if it impresses on a modern level at the same time. If nobody enjoyed evolutions on existing themes, we wouldn't see so many.

Is GTAV any less enjoyable because there were several similar ones that came before it?

All fair, but given Skyrim, if it looks good and performs well, who cares?

But... it didn't.

Yes there were a few nice open vistas that were pretty at the right time of day but overall the engine showed its age (to a PC player) immediately.

It has to be modded to hell (modded to Oblivion harhar) before it looks close to what it should, and even then the shadows alone are enough to make me throw up in my mouth a little. Once you're able to get the visuals modded in through ENB and massive textures, you hit the memory cap and crash the game and/or end up with a godawful framerate. The engine was simply old and shit in order to work on consoles.

All that said, it didn't stop me from putting, literally, over 1500 hours into it. Please don't do the math on that.

Back