Must See Video of the Day

Brings back memories. My first computer was an apple II. Then I went to an IBM clone in 84 or 85, can't remember.

Tablets, working to teach children that computers are all about buying games and stuff. What's DOS? What's terminal commands? You mean buy Plants vs Zombie's.

Tablets, working to teach children that computers are all about buying games and stuff. What's DOS? What's terminal commands? You mean buy Plants vs Zombie's.

Nothing new there. You think 99% of users understand what a shell actually does? Back in the day people just followed the printed instructions to install software, they didn't actually know what all that shit meant, nor did they care. You think ANY of my users give a shit what powershell is or how it makes all our lives better? Nope.

Brings back memories. My first computer was an apple II. Then I went to an IBM clone in 84 or 85, can't remember.
3 disk games, boot from the first one, then read the other side, then disk 2, then the other side, then disk 3 ... FCUK ... wrong side!

Little twats have no idea what an awesome thing those were back in the day. Back then, you didn't have to worry about getting spammed by excessive marketing on your pretty little GUI interfaces. Back in those days, we learned to type simply from running command line prompts. I also loved the days when you had to mess with the boot files to diagnose driver issues. It isn't like today where if you mess with the registry files, you can really screw your computer up.

3 disk games, boot from the first one, then read the other side, then disk 2, then the other side, then disk 3 ... FCUK ... wrong side!

I had a TI-99/4A with a cassette drive as it's storage medium. As in it used regular audio cassettes and my parents though it was funny to buy me the cheapest blank cassettes on the planet. I think I still have it in the old house.

We think that's awesome. I wonder what the computer nerds that used punch cards and mainframes at the time thought about us newbies playing with the Apple II and IBM Clones...

I loved Snooper Trooper on the Apple II. I loved my C64. I had the TI-99/4A before that (still have it). Then, the IBM style of PC. DOS, then Windows. Changed my world. I could upgrade it, but new hardware in it, overclock it.. That was and still is awesome. I still feel like a kid when I get new parts delivered. Even at work, I get giddy when new shit shows up. :D

Going to be funny going forward, because less and less people will understand exactly HOW a computer really works. We will have a world where 99% of people quite literally think it's some magic voodoo box and are incapable of really using them outside of "tap here to buy" or "tap here to play".

Yeah, I don't really now how to string up a team of horses to a buggy to go into town for ma and pa to get a bag of flour and tub or lard.

But ... that's ok .. I could care less.

How many people do you think actually knew how a computer works when Commodore64 came out? How many people do you think actually knows how a 4 function calculator spits out a number with a few keys punched?

Don't think there's a problem with kids not understanding how old technology functions. It's like this thread thinks that all kids 10 and under should be able to figure out how something works the first time they see a weird box and floppy media that is fully obsolete and completely discontinued. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I have fond memories of those days, but they can keep them. It was such a pain in the butt to get done what you wanted to get done. And they were slow. Not saying the tablets aren't taking away something we learned, but the old days, while remembered, need to be kept in the past.

Going to be funny going forward, because less and less people will understand exactly HOW a computer really works. We will have a world where 99% of people quite literally think it's some magic voodoo box and are incapable of really using them outside of "tap here to buy" or "tap here to play".

Newflash, it has always been this way. Nothing new. It is all magic voodoo to most people and they could care less how it all works, they just want to get their shit done. Most "IT Professionals" are clueless, so you think normal people are gonna get it?

Half the people on this board barely know what is actually going on, does it matter? Not really. You know what you need to know, fuck the rest. Only a fool thinks they have it all down.

I want that system so I can play Loderunner! And somewhere around here I have my Ultima Underworld II disk...

I want that system so I can play Loderunner! And somewhere around here I have my Ultima Underworld II disk...

Oh yes, ultima underworld.

We had Zork I and II at school on an Apple IIe. God I loved playing Zork.

How many people do you think actually knew how a computer works when Commodore64 came out? How many people do you think actually knows how a 4 function calculator spits out a number with a few keys punched?

I wanted to know how it worked. I am still learning how things work, too. I'm wanting to make Pong using TTL's for a project. Just to learn how it's done and how it works. Commodore 64? That's when I started learning about programming. My Dad taught me the basics of binary, analog/digital, and the very basics of electronics (he knew the basics, and that was it). Still, my kids show me how to do things with the iPad/iPhone. I know the basics, but they do what I used to do - play with it, dig deep to find out what does what and why... My one son does enough to play games. The other wants to find out how it works and why. Difference between the users and the creators. Most people are users.

5:12 - OMFG are you shitting?

Kids today wouldn't want stuff that require them to think and explore because curiosity is dead and buried, their parents would rather let the government raise them to be cogs in the system and obey the corporate masters.

I'm proud to say that my daughter (now 9 years old) is learning the classics. She plays "Kings Quest" on my circa-1984 PCjr, she plays "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego" on my circa-1979 Apple II Plus, and she plays "Shufflepuck Cafe" on my circa-1988 Macintosh SE.

And she knows how VHS tapes and vinyl albums work, too...

I'm gathering up older computer parts (that I know work) to have her build her own PC, too. (By her request.)

I don't get this video

This is just.....what?

If you told a kid how to use a computer, they would learn

This is akin to dropping a middle aged person who's never touched a car in their life and telling them "Hey, change the brakes"

They would be lost

I like the kid that said that the game was better than Flappy Bird. :)

I don't get this video

This is just.....what?

If you told a kid how to use a computer, they would learn

This is akin to dropping a middle aged person who's never touched a car in their life and telling them "Hey, change the brakes"

They would be lost

+1 to both of these.

I also would not want to go back to those days... but as an IT person with a BS in Software Engineering, I have always wanted to and have worked on understanding how things work under the hood.. not just at the software level, but at the hardware level as well.

One of the first comments made by a little girl "If you don't have a desk where do you put this".... this statement alone is quite profound and eye opening.

these kids are very dumb, not even curious, my grandma had one of these for work in the 80's, i figured out how to use it without help. these kids are worthless.

One of the first comments made by a little girl "If you don't have a desk where do you put this".... this statement alone is quite profound and eye opening.

I thought it was telling too when one girl used the command "google"... completely logical command to try but hilarious and sad at the same time.

I like the kid that said that the game was better than Flappy Bird. :)

Haha, that was great.

My biggest issue with this is how impatient these kids are, and how they didn't even really care about how it worked. Reminds me of older folks who when you go to fix their PC, don't care how it works as long as it just works. That's understandable for people of that age, but kids should really have a bit more curiosity than that.

I had a TI-99/4A with a cassette drive as it's storage medium. As in it used regular audio cassettes and my parents though it was funny to buy me the cheapest blank cassettes on the planet. I think I still have it in the old house.
Same here back in the (19)80s in PA. I mainly used it for gaming. Haha.

Yes, the large majority of people were, are, and always will be ignorant as to how things work under the hood, but I still see alot of things lost as technology advances.

What do we all do when we dont know the answer to something? Google it of course. I remember the days (seems no too long ago) when troubleshooting actually required a brain and 1/2 and effort.

My fav part:

"What do you do like, when you look up homework?"
"you goto the library!"
"Who wants to do that?"

I recall adults from that same era being befuddled by said computers...
Fast forward to today's computing age, and see granny go with that iPad mastery.

LOL. As a vintage collector of old systems (1980~1995) this was insanely amusing.

Brings back memories of showing my teacher I could do a basic program that would "ruin his computer" when I was 12:

10 HOME
20 PRINT "YOU SUCK"
30 GOTO 10

He freaked out when the screen kept going "YOU SUCK". lol

I kind of felt the same way, learning how to use a BBC micro computer. There's a lot of retarded shit on that Apple - the restart button and having to cold-boot a computer, just to get a floppy running. I'm pretty sure I would just type RUN <gamename> on the BBC, Amstrad, C64 etc.

99% of people never need to know how the tools they use work because 99% of people don't specialize in the maintenance of said tools. While computers are a hobby of mine, that I immensely enjoy, I don't study programming or such. It's not my area of interest, and I don't need to know it for my areas of study (linguistics and various languages in addition). I've done far more study on say, how language is constructed, and don't think less of people when they don't understand some of the fundamentals, if anything it gives me reason to offer up some of what I know if they are interested. If not, no loss either way.

Specialization is what makes our society capable of being so complex, and able to function. In fact, it's why people can whine on forums about how dumb other people are for not knowing how to do some arbitrary task. Forums can be great places for information, but, their often homogenous nature can result in a false sense of commonality or even superiority to any other outside groups. Humanity has only been able to have specialization since settling down with agriculture. Before that, everyone had to know how to hunt and gather to simply survive but that also lead to a much more monotonous and significantly less developed way of life.

Back