Renegade X

Can't wait! Renegade was wayyy ahead of its time when it came out. I had so much fun in it.

Yeah I can't wait. I just hope a lot of people actually play. I was actually in the closed beta and the game ran really good. But either they closed that or I got kicked out of it because after a hard drive crash I quit getting online but before that every time I would get on around the designated test times there was never anybody on (literally nobody most of the times but a couple of times I ran into a few people and once there was a large group but they all logged off shortly after I joined). I ran around and checked stuff and double checked glitches that were reported in the forums but I never got a chance to really play test much.

But in any case I am really looking forward to it. I played the original Renegade off and on from the time it came out up until about last year. Actually I think I might install it again and play a bit before X comes out. When I played last year there was still enough people online to get large games going.

open beta has just started, played 2 rounds so far, very satisfied !

Cool! I saw the name "Renegade" and thought it couldn't possibly be related to C&C Renegade...alas, it is! Will definitely give this a try...I loved the original game, despite its flaws.

Man fuck I thought it was a sequel to my favorite game Target Renagade.

Wow...way-back time machine

I remember playing the original Renegade MP while I was going through my 1st divorce, some of the darkest days in my life but what a absolute blast I had playing. Now that I think about it, Renegade is what got me in MP gaming, from there I moved onto BF2142 ;)

Downloading now and from what I'm watching I can't believe this is FREE

The main thing i'm wondering is how faithful they were...
aka: the one change i'd love to see is fixing the balance on the noobjet. (aka: the best sniper class)
I have fond memories of the servers that enabled weapon drops. Wandering around as a stealth trooper with most of the weapons in the game was great. (wander out with impunity to repair a friendly vehicle? can do)

have downloaded a copy, haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

After the install, it closed my browser and started shutting down all the services ( or the icons ) on the desktop tray. It was a bit strange but once I rebooted the computer, it seems ok...

I couldn't get the game to launch under Win XP 32 bit. I checked on the forum and I think it might be to do with memory management. There's a bunch of registry edits that you have to do. I couldn't be bothered so I tried to run it under Win 7 64 bit and it worked first time. There's bugs though - the game crashes when someone wins.

The game is really hard. I'm getting my ass handed to me, left and right. It's like the future war scene from The Terminator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PmOr3E1mI

Last edited:
This game really trashed my system. It would crash-freeze ( task manager would not work ) and the game would forcefully reboot the operating system. Over time my Win 7 has become trashed. I could boot into safe mode and then boot into regular but now it fails to boot. I get blue screens of death and can't get a stable boot, it just spontaneously reboots mid-way. The automated repair came up but it could not find anything to repair.

My Win XP mouse cursor graphics is tripping balls. It's like it is having an LSD trip. I'm going to uninstall the graphics driver in XP and see if I can get the graphics stable and then see if / how I can repair Win 7 without having to reformat that partition. What a nightmare.

Was able to play a match but as soon as the next map / match started (I assume) it CTD'd.

Looks similar to planetside 2 downloading it even though tt's the beta looks cool though..

Played a couple games last night without an issue.
There are a few small changes but the game is roughly the same.
Like one can buy a weapon separate now so you aren't stuck with a pistol as hotwire for example.

The scale of the map is smaller than Planetside 2... it's actually closer to Planetside 1. Yes CTD on map change is common and happened to me.

After uninstalling Renegade X. I thought that uninstalling and reinstalling the NVIDIA graphics drivers on both partitions ( win xp 32 / win 7 64 ) solved my system's strange graphical problems but I was playing Chivalry: Medieval War and my computer had a full on LSD trip last night:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxh37tza67y0g1h/broken graphics.JPG

The teal rectangles represent my left and right arms. The black diagonal is me holding a claymore sword. The magenta is part of a cuboid, that represents the rampart of a castle. I'm not sure what the navy blue and red is. Notice the strange pieces of little squares that are missing ( this is what would happen when Renegade X would freeze ). From this picture, everything morphed multiple times into a full on psychedelic trip! I've tripped on shrooms, Salvia & LSD so it was actually really cool ( even though it ruined my online, multiplayer game ).

The devs want the dump files that are created when your game crashes:
http://www.renegade-x.com/forums/

I'm looking forward to when the game launcher is more stable.

I am all for testing games for devs but when they totally screw your pc, that throws up a red flag for me.

My rig is undergoing catastrophic system failure. I'm in the process of saving documents ( resumes ). I'm going to have to rebuild the rig from scratch. XP has the master boot record and keeps blue screening and displaying unusual graphical patterns. Some system file is damaged but I did not get a chance to write down the details:

nv4_disp

"Device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. The usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. STOP: 0x000000EA ( 0x88E9E698, 0x8AF1D238, 0xB8517CBC, 0x00000001

:(

I really doubt it was the direct fault of Renegade-X. There was probably something already wrong somewhere and Renegade-X just happened to run into the specific "trigger" problem before anything else did. A similar thing happened to me with the Dark & Light (lol anyone remember that massively hyped joke?) open beta back in 2006. Installed and tried playing it - massive system disaster afterwards - but my system had been getting sluggish for a long time due to no reformatting - yet somehow just installing/playing that game gave it the final blow even after uininstalling it. Reformatted, reinstalled/played, system was much faster than pre-disaster, and no problems (other than the game being garbage, which was no surprise :) ).

My system was perfect before I installed the game and I was playing Chivalry, which is also based on the Unreal engine. I have 309 hours playing Chiv.

I do wonder if using my GPU to mine litecoins for 12 hours x 2 affected the card on some level but that's about all ( oh and the ... free Win 7 version that I'm using ).

I spent $300 on Win 7 and just ordered a Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB SSD ( for Titanfall and to make dual booting via a separate HDD easier ).

I just formatted my hard drive and did a clean install of Win XP 32 / SP3. My graphics card is in the process of dying.

I think that I killed it. In November / December, I did 2 x 12 hour overnight sessions of litecoin mining. I noticed minor artifacting in the morning, which went away when I stopped the mining software and rebooted my computer.

I just reseated my graphics card but I think that only a new card will do the trick. My rig will be 4 years old, on March 10th. RIP skynet.

So it sounds like your issues have nothing to do with this game, then.

After having played for a while, I will say the game definitely still has noticeable stability problems (open beta after all) - hopefully they can fix it soon. Also, although I completely understand the original renegade style of a lot of "soaking damage," I do think they went way overboard trying to literally recreate the original instead of truly making a new, superior interpretation with new technology and several years of development. Seriously, they tried to replicate the original so much, with all of the flaws included, I kind of wonder why they were willing to put so many years into developing seemingly the exact same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I am still going to play it due to its unique game mode and features, but like Totalbiscuit said (who also liked the game overall) the gun-play is awful. There is no weight behind the weapons - you feel like you're always firing pea-shooters no matter what guns you are using. Very poor design decision on their part - I hope they decide to eventually reverse that decision. There are also other things that definitely could have used improvement/expansion from the original.

here is no weight behind the weapons - you feel like you're always firing pea-shooters no matter what guns you are using. Very poor design decision on their part

Does everything nowadays have to feel like a realistic weapon? Too me it just looks like your player can take too much damage itself from his video. The weapons remind me of quake or UT type weapons.

Anyone else noticed that they're being apparently forwarded to a different server?

There's been quite a few times when I select a not full server (like 37, 38 or 39 out of 40) and I get connected to something that's got maybe 15 people on it. Most annoying.

Does everything nowadays have to feel like a realistic weapon? Too me it just looks like your player can take too much damage itself from his video. The weapons remind me of quake or UT type weapons.

Not necessarily, but I think we are beyond the days when a weapon was just a model that spewed out projectiles with no feedback or anything. If it's a laser weapon or something, then okay, but anything that uses bullets should have some sort of recoil or feedback to it.

And I agree, they do take too much damage. I think we are also beyond the days where you are just strafing back and forth rapidly whittling each other's health down slowly.

I think we are also beyond the days where you are just strafing back and forth rapidly whittling each other's health down slowly.

Id rather play those types of games then the endless see of Modern Day Shooters tbh

Id rather play those types of games then the endless see of Modern Day Shooters tbh
amen!

Can still go back to C&C Renegade and other oldschool games and have fun. Flappy Bird isn't realistic, yet it became a hit. :D Neither is the game VVVVVV but it too was awesome.

The reason we play computer games is to entertain ourselves in imaginations and fantasies to take ourselves / our minds out of reality. The point isn't to experience reality. Kind of self-defeating and oxymoron for why we play games IMHO.

Does everything nowadays have to feel like a realistic weapon?

No, especially since C&C and its weapons are not exactly realistic. Like Maverick said, I just want some substantial feedback, regardless of how unrealistic that feedback may be. Honestly, I do not have a problem with the high-HP/low-damage - it is refreshing to have a different style of combat. The HP is really not all that high either if you manage to accurately "stay on target" on the person's head. You can kill someone reasonably fast with head-shots, regardless of the weapon you are using. Distance definitely matters with the accuracy of some weapons as well.

I do agree that the arcade-like movement could also be toned down though.

BTW, these opinions are coming from someone who does not like Battlefield 3/4 but did enjoy Bad Company 2. My two all-time favorite FPS game are Tribes 2 and Arma 2, my third favorite is America's Army 1/2, I liked Tribes 3 though it was nowhere as good as Tribes 2, enjoyed the original CoD Modern Warfare for a while, and I also enjoy Red Orchestra 2. So I am not limited to only one subgenre, I just think there are some old mechanics that are gone because they were inherently inferior to new mechanics, even if overall, many of the old games are better than the new ones due to other new mechanics that are so bad that they negate the advantages of the mechanics that were improved.

Last edited:
I would welcome a new Americas Army and a new Vietnam FPS game with open arms. At least with the AA game you can say realistic unlike COD hehe

Ya Vietnam games seem to get passed by. used to love vietcong and bfv. but since then there hasn't been shit. not sure why since it would be hella cool with the destruction in games these days. trees exploding and branches raining down. plus who the hell doesn't like napalm

Fair enough...I guess based on watching TB's video of this game the gunplay just doesn't seem all that fun. Both of the players just twitch-strafe back and forth until someone dies. To me this is not really quite the same as something like Quake or UT where there is much more of a vertical component and you are able to run, jump and strafe around while hitting jump pads and whatnot to get an advantage on an opponent. From what I have seen of Renegade X the levels are fairly flat and linear, which is fine but putting the same kind of combat that you see in Quake in a game like that just doesn't seem that fun to me.

Back