World's 1st CPU Cooler With Active Noise Cancellation

Is it just me that can't see any YouTube vids linked on the main page? Just empty black space. :confused:

Wow after watching the vid, the tech seems to be there wonder how well it cools and if they will produce fans that incorporate this tech for the WC crowd.

also in b4:
O7KTE8N.png

Interesting, but I'd never bother with one since my computers aren't turned on that often and they're not very noisy.

Sounds more like anti-vibration than fan sound noise reduction? Hard to tell by the video I suppose. I just know mine doesn't have that annoying whirr.

My CPU coolers for an overclocked 4 CPU machine are barely audible, but dissipating 855w of power.

This could easily be done for the entire inside of the computer, not just the cpu cooler.

Sounds more like anti-vibration than fan sound noise reduction? Hard to tell by the video I suppose. I just know mine doesn't have that annoying whirr.

It's been a while since I've read up on the rotosub tech, but basically it uses a microphone to pick up the noise from the fan, then modulates the fan blades/motor with a special controller to produce an inverted sound signature that cancels the noise.

Kinda cool tech but for me the NH 14 is very quiet already. I can see this working in larger scale applications.

main question is, will you get the same temps? are they just reducing RPMs?

The big problem with this technology is that it eliminates noise generated by the fan motor, however it already decently quiet (or even semi-loud, but not obnoxiously loud) systems, this isn't an issue. The majority of noise in these systems is from air turbulence. Notice how a huge chunk of the video's noise was still there? That's just air turbulence.

So is this going to take a $35-50 HSF combo and turn it into a $100-150 HSF combo?

It depends on the quality of parts they use. They could use some shitty 740 op-amp and random electret mic that would cost a total of a few cents and get crap results, or they could use a OPA2132PA and a WM-61A electret (or whatever is replacing them these days) for $10 in raw parts, or go even higher.

main question is, will you get the same temps? are they just reducing RPMs?

No, active noise cancelling works by producing a destructive wave to the unwanted sound, i.e. an identical soundwave with a 90 degree phase shift, so instead of amplifying the sound it actually reduces it.

Ideally, a perfectly replicated sound wave (equal frequency and amplitude) equidistant from the listener with no obstructions would increase sound by 3dB. Conversely a perfectly replicated sound wave with a 90 degree phase shift would completely nullify the soundwave.

You can try it for yourself with a stereo system. Switch the terminals of one speaker and one speaker only and play a mono source through both speakers.

This is really cool, can't wait till we see real reviews of it once its out.

Automotive Active Noise Cancellation/Control tech has been around for decades now, so it's about time it got engineered into desktop PC noise reduction.

As others have already said, I don't care what it costs, please take my money.

It's been a while since I've read up on the rotosub tech, but basically it uses a microphone to pick up the noise from the fan, then modulates the fan blades/motor with a special controller to produce an inverted sound signature that cancels the noise.

Nice. Would be cool if they did that with casing fans. The biggest offender in my system are the casing fans.

I am impressed but I have to say my NH-D14 is pretty damn silent.

I wonder if this could be modified for use with a Delta Fan? Add some serious CFM at low noise?

Yes, but it's probably not going to be an easy DIY job, there's alot of tuning that goes on to make a specific fan blade design work right. While CPU coolers are a great way to start off with this tech in PC's, I'm really wanting to see it in GPU applications that need those high RPM blower fans with their obnoxious sound profile at full speed. Now we'll just get a broadband whoosh of air, much better.

Nice. Would be cool if they did that with casing fans. The biggest offender in my system are the casing fans.

Yeah this would be better if it was done on the case level.

First case manufacturer to make?

Meh. Same tech used in ANC headphones, which I can usually tell is running, due to poor implementation. Can't stand this tech in headphones, and who knows if it would work without buggin' me on a fan? There are already plenty of very quiet fans. Pass.

Still seems louds ass with and without anc enabled.

What's really needed is this technology for gfx coolers. The CPU coolers are quiet already, it's the gfx card fans that sound like jet engines.

Don't you use like a bucket of water or something though?

But the bucket was only $2! :D

Noctua's are quiet because the fans are girly fans. They make up for it by using stupid large, poorly engineered cooling fins.

If you want a Noctua to really kick ass, replace the fans with something worthy, like Tornadoes or Deltas.

58°C with the factory Noctua dual fans, 39°C with a single performance fan.

ANR is 80 years old. The drawback for computers is that it uses power. It's a dumb idea. Lower power chips and passive cooling do the same thing.

I can't say I'm super impressed...basically it just turns the droning whir into a more sporadic, slightly less noisy whir. Could make a difference when it's actually in a case, but I'm guessing for however much they want for this thing it wouldn't be that much.

To those who think that they are just reducing RPM, i doubt it.

If I had to guess, they use the microphone to detect the amplitude and frequency of the waves that the motor makes and make waves of the same amplitude and frequency but half a wavelength out of phase in order to create destructive interference, which causes the motor to appear silent.

In the test they shouldn't have had the microphone in the way of the air flow. When you have air blowing over a mic it sounds loud. Need to wait till reviews are out to get a better idea of how quiet it is.

Kinda cool, though I'm well past the point where my hard drives, video card and PSU are much louder than my CPU cooler. If it can active noise cancel the entire case effectively, I'd be interested.

I can't say I'm super impressed...basically it just turns the droning whir into a more sporadic, slightly less noisy whir. Could make a difference when it's actually in a case, but I'm guessing for however much they want for this thing it wouldn't be that much.

What do you mean "more sporadic, slightly less noisy whir"? The only noise I can hear with the noise canceling running is whatever the wooshing background noise is which is there either way. The mechanical sound of the fan itself is completely gone.

Back