World's 1st CPU Cooler With Active Noise Cancellation

DeathPrincess

[H]ard as it Gets
With their recent discovery after years of research that fans didn't have to be beige I was expecting great things from this. But it's not exactly quiet, and why was it buzzing to start with? It just ended up sounding like a Scythe fan (which will probably be cheaper than this thing, and allow you to have more than a single fan). :eek:

Tudz

[H]ardness Supreme
With their recent discovery after years of research that fans didn't have to be beige I was expecting great things from this. But it's not exactly quiet, and why was it buzzing to start with? It just ended up sounding like a Scythe fan (which will probably be cheaper than this thing, and allow you to have more than a single fan). :eek:
Well to be fair, we have no idea what RPM the fan was running or what amplification they were using on the microphone. Even a quiet fan will be loud if you place a microphone within a few inches and turn up the volume.

To me, the point of this would be to get a fan that rotates 2000+ RPM to be as quiet or quieter than a sub 1000 RPM fan.

Tzzird

[H]ardness Supreme
No, active noise cancelling works by producing a destructive wave to the unwanted sound, i.e. an identical soundwave with a 90 degree phase shift, so instead of amplifying the sound it actually reduces it.

Ideally, a perfectly replicated sound wave (equal frequency and amplitude) equidistant from the listener with no obstructions would increase sound by 3dB. Conversely a perfectly replicated sound wave with a 90 degree phase shift would completely nullify the soundwave.
Very cool explanation!