World's 1st CPU Cooler With Active Noise Cancellation

With their recent discovery after years of research that fans didn't have to be beige I was expecting great things from this. But it's not exactly quiet, and why was it buzzing to start with? It just ended up sounding like a Scythe fan (which will probably be cheaper than this thing, and allow you to have more than a single fan). :eek:

With their recent discovery after years of research that fans didn't have to be beige I was expecting great things from this. But it's not exactly quiet, and why was it buzzing to start with? It just ended up sounding like a Scythe fan (which will probably be cheaper than this thing, and allow you to have more than a single fan). :eek:

Well to be fair, we have no idea what RPM the fan was running or what amplification they were using on the microphone. Even a quiet fan will be loud if you place a microphone within a few inches and turn up the volume.

To me, the point of this would be to get a fan that rotates 2000+ RPM to be as quiet or quieter than a sub 1000 RPM fan.

Wow after watching the vid, the tech seems to be there wonder how well it cools and if they will produce fans that incorporate this tech for the WC crowd.

Look on the right side of this pic:

noctua_anc_exhibition.jpg

I'm definitely intrigued...

No, active noise cancelling works by producing a destructive wave to the unwanted sound, i.e. an identical soundwave with a 90 degree phase shift, so instead of amplifying the sound it actually reduces it.

Ideally, a perfectly replicated sound wave (equal frequency and amplitude) equidistant from the listener with no obstructions would increase sound by 3dB. Conversely a perfectly replicated sound wave with a 90 degree phase shift would completely nullify the soundwave.

Very cool explanation!

Back