NVIDIA Face Works Demo

This is a better explanation of the Uncanny Valley in video games. But I think life life humans is more of a problem with artists then hardware. Takes a lot of time, and therefore money to create life like humans.

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-uncanny-valley

People doesn't really like people to look like people. Take an anatomically accurate skeleton/person, and place it next to 99.999% of game characters and you'll notice the weirdness. People always seem to have giant heads and hands, or (in Epics games especially) really long torsos and shorter legs. :D

Was I the only one who at times had difficulty telling what-expression the face was attempting to show/make? When watching a movie done by Pixar. dreamworks or what-not, I can always easily-tell ohh 'Shrek' has an 'upset' face... or happy-face and there never seems to be a 'what emotion is that character attempting to show' but couldn't really see it with the head. Maybe it's just due to a lack of body-movement/posture to backup the face and/or no situational context.

I will say this though, I recently watched a 3D movie called 'Resident Evil Damnation' mostly b/c I was curious to see the pre-rendered animation and the faces in the RED movie was not nearly as well done as this live-rendering. I wonder how far away we are from seeing Final Fantasy: Spirits Within type graphics in real-time gameplay.

Still falls into uncanny valley territory, IMO. But man, it's getting close.

I will say this though, I recently watched a 3D movie called 'Resident Evil Damnation' mostly b/c I was curious to see the pre-rendered animation and the faces in the RED movie was not nearly as well done as this live-rendering. I wonder how far away we are from seeing Final Fantasy: Spirits Within type graphics in real-time gameplay.

The recent Final Fantasy tech demo was pretty close... and is supposed to be running on a PS4.

That is pretty damn close. At this rate, they'll be able to do the entire body in a few years.

They spend all that time and money and they come up with an ugly face? They could have reused Dawn.

Whats with the jacket? Please tell me he drove a motorcycle onto the stage before he started the presentation :cool:

I hope they work on jaw movement next. The stiffness when they talk (and the lack of tongue movement) is what creeps me out with 3D animations like this. Beowulf was creepy. So was Polar Express.

still got the john riccitiello dead eyes..... they might look more realistic... but no iris adjustments.... just got no spark.

Creepiest part for me was when he completely stopped moving.

It sounds like a good step forward in the capture process. It'd be great if it ultimately saves time/money.

Just add some bangs to hide those fugly eyes and you are almost there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG8YyrronnA

:D

Was I the only one who at times had difficulty telling what-expression the face was attempting to show/make?
Hell no! Like all attempts at realism thus far, he just looked uneasy and/or constipated. Maybe that's a result of him being imprisoned in that sphere for 24 hours straight as the cameras raped his every pore.

Good stuff now if Mr.Nvidia would sell me a Titian for about $500 to run cool demos...guess ill have to wait on Maxwell.but impress me with it in an actual game like tomb raider's/amd's tress fx:cool:

It seems to pull out of the valley when he speaks. That's a combination of very specific, high-fidelity motion capture and the audio, but it's definitely pulling it out.

I wonder what the cost is for using something like this vs. using actors and facial capture like in L.A. Noire. I think L.A. Noire's way of doing things is the absolute best way for realism. I mean, imagine what L.A. Noire would look like if it were being made for next-gen. That would be real life.

Tech demos like what we are shown here are pointless. Way too much power needed for so little in return. Not to mention that it doesn't even really look THAT good over all as a package.

still got the john riccitiello dead eyes..... they might look more realistic... but no iris adjustments.... just got no spark.

Bingo. It's the dead soulless eyes that always give it away, no matter how good the motion and textures are.

I can see games getting really creepy in the future.

this is the first video i have ever seen with any character outside the uncanny valley.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jNT5cMwxw0
but it is not in real time.
Well, context does a large amount to hide certain things. Fast edits don't allow you time to closely examine anything for one... also there doesn't seem to be almost any facial animation other then eye blinks...

I just think they over do it with the light reflection in the eyes... just one or two point lights is sufficient, not 100... that's a bit unrealistic... again, if they had worked a bit on the context this demo could've been improved a lot

Well, context does a large amount to hide certain things. Fast edits don't allow you time to closely examine anything for one... also there doesn't seem to be almost any facial animation other then eye blinks...

I just think they over do it with the light reflection in the eyes... just one or two point lights is sufficient, not 100... that's a bit unrealistic... again, if they had worked a bit on the context this demo could've been improved a lot

i agree with the fast edits part. and the excessive shinnies in her eyes early on.

just saying that the glances around 4:25, 4:40, 4:50, and 5:00
was the first time i have ever perceptually equated a cgi character with a human.

in every single one of those shots, she was paying attention and tracking an object with her eyes. so ive concluded that ocular inattentiveness plays a massive part in the uncanny valley.

i googled "ocular inattentiveness" at 10:46, and it has already showed up linking to my post. (top result)

damn, google, you fast

People doesn't really like people to look like people. Take an anatomically accurate skeleton/person, and place it next to 99.999% of game characters and you'll notice the weirdness. People always seem to have giant heads and hands, or (in Epics games especially) really long torsos and shorter legs. :D

actually its pretty common for men to have long torso's and shorter legs. I do...so do most of the guys in my family. Including my son.

They still can't quite get the lips to look right when pressed together (one lip tends to disappear into the other lip, instead of compressing like real lips should).

It is especially noticeable when he says the word "fruit" (you can also see it a little during the emotion loop)

actually its pretty common for men to have long torso's and shorter legs. I do...so do most of the guys in my family. Including my son.

I mean in relation to the average, so the men are different to the average man and the women are different from the average woman. Games seem to use "Heroic Scale". :D

Back