14 Old School Games You Can Play Right Now

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Have you been exposed to the bug going around the Internet yet? It’s called the nostalgia bug and it’s almost to the epidemic stage. The demand for retro and retro-styled games is high and to treat the symptoms, SAI has put together 14 old school games ready for the playing on iOS platforms ranging in price from $4.99 to completely free.

That looks like a screenshot from the game Myst. I remember playing that in 95.

I still have an original working NES and that power-joystick thing whatever it was called, gun, and a crapton of games collecting dust. I wonder if that's too old for the nostalgic crowd to remember, lol!

I tend to only play retro games as the newer ones tend to be, well, bad.

Quake II is just as old and plenty of people still play it. Easy plug for Action Quake 2, for those folks who remember and treasured that game: http://aq2world.com ;)

I still have an original working NES and that power-joystick thing whatever it was called, gun, and a crapton of games collecting dust. I wonder if that's too old for the nostalgic crowd to remember, lol!

Funny - I think of nostalgic gaming as Intellivision and/or Atari 2600, whereas I still think of NES as some kind of second or third generation gaming platform.

Legacy gaming is nice, but if I want to play something, I'd like to enjoy the full capabilities of the hardware I own. I don't see 14 year old games pushing my C2D T2300 or taking full advantage of the GMA 950 in my desktop. That doesn't invalidate the fun of older games, but I'll pass on them and do something with my system that puts the power of the hardware to better use.

The big square joystick version was the NES Advantage - it had slow mo and turbo! I still have mine. There was also the NES Max but it was a d-pad not a stick.

800px-NES-advantage.jpg

Or you could jailbreak your iPhone and load tons of Nes, Gensis, Super Nes, PSX, and N64 games onto your phone. Given that you actually have the games, and got the rom from them. So if you wanna go totally legal, there are options for you.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That was my favorite FPS of all time.

Let me know if you're interested in playing again, or if you know others who want to play. We're starting a ladder cup soon, several clans have joined so far. I'm always on the lookout for more North American AQ2 players to get some pick up games going. I'm the head site administrator of the website and we're really trying to bring back the AQ2 scene everywhere, for some good old school retro/classic gaming.

We're in IRC #aq2world on Quakenet as well.

I just setup a projector that covers an entire wall in my home last week. My brother and I spent yesterday evening playing through Contra 1-3 on NES/SNES and TMNT/Turtles in Time.

I don't care for console emulation much as to me it just isn't the same and I love the original controllers. Expensive as hell though. My bro just spent $200 last night to get Conkers for N64 and a couple SNES rpgs off ebay. Earthbound for SNES runs $225-250 alone.

I'd say its worth it though, we had a blast.Reliving childhood with my brother is priceless. Good times :)

Good idea on the projector, I actually have an old 720p one in my workout room, I think I may just plug my NES in to it, heh!
Emulation is the best for old school games and you can get every um nevermind.
Is it really though?

I mean, these are completely and entirely obsolete games, eclipsed in every way by new offerings.

The point is nostalgia, and so running an old game on the original old hardware (blowing the cartridge and all) IMO adds to the experience. *shrugs*

I'm a console purist, personally. I wouldn't play Goldeneye or Super Mario Kart in any other way than on their original consoles, in front of a CRT with 2-4 friends.

I'm a console purist, personally. I wouldn't play Goldeneye or Super Mario Kart in any other way than on their original consoles, in front of a CRT with 2-4 friends.

Emulation offers a way to bring back that nostalgia with a twist. Not only does it enhance the graphics, but it offers the ability to even replace textures for high quality versions. That and save states.

If you want the console experience then I really suggest playing it on the machine itself first, but if you plan to play it again, emulation offers a new face for old games. I know I wanna play Ocarina of Time again, but this time maybe with a texture pack.

Retro games suck on touch screen. I accumulated lots of negatives with MAME for Android. MAME32 has so many nice features and I am spoiled for life.

I remember begging my parents for a 2x CD Rom for my Quadra 605 specifically for Myst. That was a great game.

I am still shocked something as crap as myst got put in the Smithsonian art of video games thingy. It didnt even have to be voted on it was just automatic put in and there was a ton of better games with more art in them that had to be voted on.

I had a debate with the makers of the exibit and they did not seem to care they was putting it in not matter what people said...what the hell.

http://americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/

a slide show puzzle game with primitive CGI renders.... Oh and donkey kong country and KI arcade had to get votes to get in and it was way more impressive CGI work.

And nobody wants to play any of these games on a Crap Iphone or any phone for that matter playing sonic CD on my damn phone is like trying to play with with duck tape all over my fingers and the screen controls are as resposive as a brick.

Wake me when these get put on the vita or 3ds I rather carry a phone and one of those in my other pocket.

And nobody wants to play any of these games on a Crap Iphone or any phone for that matter playing sonic CD on my damn phone is like trying to play with with duck tape all over my fingers and the screen controls are as resposive as a brick.

Wake me when these get put on the vita or 3ds I rather carry a phone and one of those in my other pocket.
I don't have any problems with the touchscreen with classic games. Mostly cause I don't use it. Keep buying phones without a physical QWERTY keyboard. The controls aren't as good as Vita or 3DS, but much better then a touch screen.

Also, they need to make more phones like this, but with updated hardware.

14689-14552playstationphonezeusz1video.jpg

I just setup a projector that covers an entire wall in my home last week. My brother and I spent yesterday evening playing through Contra 1-3 on NES/SNES and TMNT/Turtles in Time.

Ok. I call BS. No way you played through Contra 1-3 in one evening. :)

I collect a lot of those "retro" games and systems, and the NES gets most of the play. That, and the Sega Master System. Those two have some of my favorite games. SNES/Genesis as a close #2. After that, it's all over the place.

The worst part of that stuff is playing an old system on a newer 1080P 110" projector. Emulators with the plugins for video make it a lot better.

I have some of those games on my iPhone/iPad, but I need a bluetooth controller to hook to it. Touchscreen blows on those games. Any ideas? What do others use? Yes, jailbreak on iPad, not on iPhone, if that matters (for any plugin's).

I tend to only play retro games as the newer ones tend to be, well, bad.

Quake II is just as old and plenty of people still play it. Easy plug for Action Quake 2, for those folks who remember and treasured that game: http://aq2world.com ;)

oh man q2 litium mod is where it was at. So much fun.

Quake 2 was my first online multiplayer game. Had south park skin mods and sounds. When cartman stopped his "tapping foot" animation was to put down his weapon and pull out a box of Chessy Poofs and start munching
2pq6tfb.gif

oh man so, so much fun

oh man q2 litium mod is where it was at. So much fun.

Quake 2 was my first online multiplayer game. Had south park skin mods and sounds. When cartman stopped his "tapping foot" animation was to put down his weapon and pull out a box of Chessy Poofs and start munching
2pq6tfb.gif

oh man so, so much fun

Wow Quake 2 Chaos Mod was soooooo fun.

I have an emulator and a crap ton of ROMS, thanks.

Hm, no mention of the cart-ripping hardware and software you need to actually make said ROM files from your physical cartridges? Oh, wait, you're flaunting illegal activities, sorry I forgot that was the new hip thing among teens.

Hm, no mention of the cart-ripping hardware and software you need to actually make said ROM files from your physical cartridges? Oh, wait, you're flaunting illegal activities, sorry I forgot that was the new hip thing among teens.

Especially in writing on forums! Way to go champ.

Moralfag: Activate! :p

I play Defender of the Crown occasionally on DOSBox, it's still a fun game with neat action sequences though a tad easy once you figure out all the tricks. Never did get the hang of Jousting though.

As nice as it is to play on the original hardware, the fact that we can play classic titles at all via emulation is nothing short of a minor miracle. Retrogaming is a gold mine.

Forgot to mention it was a Wii, pretty much everything they had made for the consoles including Neo Geo are in the market place.

Not bad I guess. For people like me that are always on the go, i love portable games. Myst is pretty easy on a touch screen probably. I lost a lot of my life in that game....figuring puzzles out before the internet

Back