Valve Fires Jeri Ellsworth

I don't find it very wise to tweet about how your company just fired you... This alone hints as to maybe why.

probably the most prolific female contributor to hackaday of all time

geek girl extraordinaire

She was just hired last year and was a key player in Valve's hardware efforts so she would have been involved in the Steam Box so this is why it's important around here I think.

valve should give the gamers with 200+ games a steam box for free when it comes out.

She prob got canned for running her mouth too much about up coming secret projects.

valve should give the gamers with 200+ games a steam box for free when it comes out.

I hope you just forgot to put a sarcasm icon at the end of that statement....:p

Sure I'm curious why she got fired too but generally people do something pretty serious to get fired, especially this short of a time into a new job. Not seeing eye to eye on advertising or revealing info to the public may be one of those offences.

I'm thinking she either got fired for no longer being useful, talking to much about her projects, or not making enough sandwiches!

SLAM!

OK, for real though, probably the sandwich thing...

From the looks of her wikipedia history, she is a mostly self taught tech head that is very opinionated / questioning of authority. She quit high school, had a business partnership go bad, dropped out of college, etc etc.

She probably got thrown in with a team of people like her and that just didn't mesh with her personality.

From the way I understand how Valve runs their company it would seem pretty hard to get canned unless you were really stupid and did something taboo...

The people at Valve really should relax and find more constructive ways than making more fire to blow off all that Steam.

Tweeting about it doesn't show much professionalism.

Probably because she lacks a certain degree of professionalism if any at all. Read her Wiki, she seems to be all of the place. A kind of idiot savant with a disregard for authority and seemingly lack of respect for those that, maybe not deserve it, but who should have it. All of these traits are especially dangerous to have in the tech industry where no matter how good you are, there is always someone who is as good or better that would happily replace you.

I say too bad for her but as others have said, I don't see Valve firing someone unless they had a truly legitimate reason to do so. So it definitely is her fault one way or another.

Meh, tough shit. That's life!

From the way I understand how Valve runs their company it would seem pretty hard to get canned unless you were really stupid and did something taboo...
A few weeks ago Gabe was saying it takes 6-9 months for new employees to get up to speed

That's why you always take a breather before spouting off about past employers.
Bridges, fire, etc etc

I would check on the employment status of her fellow Valve hardware team members to get a better sense of what may have happened. It could be that they reached a deadend and Valve either had no place for them or they didn't fit in with their other hardware efforts. 'Fired' doesn't necessarily mean that she did anything wrong.

If she dropped out of high school, how could you call her a hardware engineer? Sounds like she didnt know what she was doing and also was disruptive to other members. Valve's employment model is so lax that you would have to be a complete nuisance before getting fired

She prob got canned for running her mouth too much about up coming secret projects.

Or it's finished and they don't need her any more. There is no such thing as employer loyalty these days.

If she dropped out of high school, how could you call her a hardware engineer? Sounds like she didnt know what she was doing and also was disruptive to other members. Valve's employment model is so lax that you would have to be a complete nuisance before getting fired

There are a lot of millionaire's that dropped out of school.

Tweeting about it doesn't show much professionalism.

Tweeting about anything doesn't show much professionalism. If a business is concerned about appearing professional, they should never hire someone with a twitter account :cool:

Refusal to hand feed Gaben cheeseburgers while he lay naked in a bed at Valve HQ typing up his next key-note power point ultimately led to her termination...but because of the NDA you won't hear about it.

Back