Windows Store Debuts Weather Channel App for Windows 8

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are one of the millions of weather junkies out there, you may be happy to learn that the Weather Channel has finally released its Desktop Weather App in the Windows Store for Windows 8. The App is still in the early stages of development and will get fleshed out more in subsequent upgrades.

The free Weather Channel app for Windows 8 can now be downloaded from the storefront, offering users access to accurate weather information and forecasts.

Last edited:
Taken from reviews of app:

If you can't get your location to show up as a live tile:
1. Don't allow it to use your location (block)
2. Add your location IN THE APP, close and restart app
3. In your location list, click the "Star" on a location you want to keep. Close & restart.

So basically weatherbug for win 8...or in other words a horribly coded gateway for malware.

Weatherbug and Weather Channel App are not one in the same.

The Weather Channel is actually a legit piece of software, albeit useless in
my opinion, its at least not malware..

Weatherbug is however, and it'll be installed by more people than Weather Channel
on a 7 billion to 1 ratio. I actually had people bitch at me about removing it.
The general public, smart they is

Big deal. The Weather Channel is useless when it can only provide data from 60 miles away. Weather Underground is the way to go.

A good weather app may not be a necessity in some areas but it is very useful in the DFW area where we get a fair amount of storm fronts and the occasional tornado. Glad to hear that Win 8 is getting some Weather Channel love. Their app is usually one of the better free apps :)

I have a weather app for windows. It's called opening them and sticking your head out! It's also a free app!

I might consider it if they get rid of ads, otherwise I'll just use other free alternatives, like peeking out the window

I might consider it if they get rid of ads, otherwise I'll just use other free alternatives, like peeking out the window

Why are they lumping ads into everything now... is Windows so unprofitable? The Metro applications (like on the Xbox) seem to have an ever increasing amount of this crap. :confused:

Why are they lumping ads into everything now...
hmmmm, are you seriously asking that question? well, for starters ads are nothing new. second, it's more to do with weather channel not windows. just go to their website they are like ad central. third, they obviously want money.

I ride a bus to work most days. I rely on weather reports!

I wish I could ride a bus. :( The routes here stinko so I'm trying to do the vanpool thing so I don't have to drive as much. I hate driving because people are so crazy.

Look outside tomorrow.

Forecasting is the process of making statements about events whose actual outcomes (typically) have not yet been observed, AKA, looking out the window tells you about 50% of what you want to know about the weather for the day.

Weatherbug is however, and it'll be installed by more people than Weather Channel

Weatherbug for computer is a huge bloatware, yeah, but it's a great iPhone app. Gives me more details than Weather Channel app

Forecasting is the process of making statements about events whose actual outcomes (typically) have not yet been observed, AKA, looking out the window tells you about 50% of what you want to know about the weather for the day.

Well, build a time machine, go forward a day, look outside, and then go back to the previous day. Don't forget to pick up lottery numbers too while you're in tomorrow.

Gee, I hafta do all the thinking around here for you guys.

How is Weatherbug "malware"?

Meh the stock weather app appears to be just as useful, and it doesn't have ads.

Ok. Weather App for Windows 8.

I think I just pee'd a little. \sarcasm

Wow. Some really weird people in here. Outside? Really. Good job - you know what the current weather is.

Approaching storm? Radar? Weather alerts? My outside doesn't have those. Even my weather station doesn't provide that (I guess I can get weather radar from a satellite via ham radio). I can gather a lot of info and make an educated guess on what to expect. But, a single click can get me the same information, and probably a bit more reliable that what I'd guess.

Tough crowd. Oh.... WINDOWS 8 app... It's just Windows 8 haters bitching about the app. I get it, now. Well done.

I use Accuweather mostly, but will check out this app. Always nice to have weather on a live tile and check it very quickly. Ads? Par for the course on apps.

Wow. Some really weird people in here. Outside? Really. Good job - you know what the current weather is.

Approaching storm? Radar? Weather alerts? My outside doesn't have those. Even my weather station doesn't provide that (I guess I can get weather radar from a satellite via ham radio). I can gather a lot of info and make an educated guess on what to expect. But, a single click can get me the same information, and probably a bit more reliable that what I'd guess.

Tough crowd. Oh.... WINDOWS 8 app... It's just Windows 8 haters bitching about the app. I get it, now. Well done.

I use Accuweather mostly, but will check out this app. Always nice to have weather on a live tile and check it very quickly. Ads? Par for the course on apps.

Huh? What does going outside have to do with Windows 8? Don't be so defensive about something no one is talking about. People who use the newest OS seem to be really defensive and actually seeking out ways to upset at other people so they can talk about the operating system with them. :(

Also, I want to live where you do because I like outsides that don't have approaching storms. :)

Also, I want to live where you do because I like outsides that don't have approaching storms. :)

Radar does tell you useful info though like how far away the approaching storm is and how fast it is moving ... do I have time to get some quick cardio in or will I be stranded a mile from home waiting for the rain storm to pass ;) ... also, it is sometime nice to have a little more warning on the tornado proximity other than the tornado siren going off or a 2x4 hitting me on the noggin when I stick my head out the window to look :p

Does the stock app have live Dopler Radar maps?

Not worth the trade off for dealing w/ ads, would much rather just open the browser if I needed to look up information like that... The temperature fits on a live tile just the same.

I'll have to figure out what the current ad blocking solution is for win8 apps I guess if I so choose to actually use them.

Irony is, it's the other way around on, say Android instead of Windows.

Weather Channel app for Android used to rock; then they revamped it and it stinks. Bad.

WeatherBug (at least if you go for the paid Elite version, which is ad-free) is absolutely great on Android. I know, I dislike the PC version as much as any geek, but the Android version is really good. Doesn't cost much either.

Back