Apple Has Started Tracking iPhone Users Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Apple is up to its old tricks again. Anyone with iOS 6 installed on their iPhone is being tracked again. :(

The company has started tracking users so that advertisers can target them again, through a new tracking technology called IFA or IDFA. In iOS 6, however, tracking is most definitely back on, and it's more effective than ever, multiple mobile advertising executives familiar with IFA tell us.

but its all in apples master plan
2cfs0pe.jpg

Is this stuff even legal?

Don't forget as well that its not tracking people...its "looking at what you do and where you are to provide you with the best Apple experience possible. Innovation and ideas!"

Don't forget as well that its not tracking people...its "looking at what you do and where you are to provide you with the best Apple experience possible. Innovation and ideas!"

I'm not sure. Why don't you Google it (and get all sorts of targeted AdSense ads with your results).

35it2mg.jpg

It's probably in the EULA. To my knowledge there isn't anything preventing this, from a current legal standpoint, if you agree to it in the EULA. Obviously EULA's aren't totally legally binding but I don't think anyone has challenged it yet.

Apple's EULA is fucking 35+ pages so who knows what is in there.

but its all in apples master plan
2cfs0pe.jpg
Nice bro. Let's look at another company. Did you know that Samsung also uses proprietary connectors on their Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) and Galaxy Note 10.1 tablets? It's Samsung so it's probably okay for them to "milk" their customers while Apple can't change their connector after 10 years.

Did you also know that Samsung has changed their connectors more than 30+ times in the past 10 years vs maybe twice for Apple?

Just a few FYI.

Okay..not 30+ but 18 :)

U3Jjw.jpg

Back to topic. IOS6 also added a few DNT options in safari as well as a way to turn this off if you read the article.

U3Jjw.jpg

Back to topic. IOS6 also added a few DNT options in safari as well as a way to turn this off if you read the article.

Samsung has been making phones for a long time. Between 2002 and 2007 phone adapters were rapidly changing across all manufacturers, whereas in this time frame the iPhone did not exist.

Also, tablets (like the ones mentioned) have higher power needs than standard devices. Furthermore, they don't have attachments or peripherals that rely on the port staying the same like the iPhone requires.

Are we to believe a website Called CULTOFMAC.. Really?

Not to mention you are comparing dozens of non-smartphone adapters to a smartphone. Pretty sure the vast majority, if not all, of non-Apple smartphones use mini or micro USB.

The problem with Apple and that one change in the adaptor and you screw MILLIONS of device sold previously (unless you keep you're old iphone). Other brand don't have much accesoiries.

Also most compagny use MICRO USB now since what.. 3-4 years.. before that most phone company where using propriary connectors, but people complained enought about that so they all (mostly) changed.

U3Jjw.jpg

Sophistry.

Taking a bunch of photos of very old Samsung connectors that pre-date the introduction and adoption of Micro-USB is deliberately misleading. Also, you won't be charging your phone through a DB-9 connector.

Samsung has been making phones for a long time. Between 2002 and 2007 phone adapters were rapidly changing across all manufacturers, whereas in this time frame the iPhone did not exist.

Also, tablets (like the ones mentioned) have higher power needs than standard devices. Furthermore, they don't have attachments or peripherals that rely on the port staying the same like the iPhone requires.

So why would Apple go with micro-usb if it will not be able to power up their upcoming tablets?

So why would Apple go with micro-usb if it will not be able to power up their upcoming tablets?

Funny, my Android tablet seems to charge just fine over USB and it has a quad core processor.

Perhaps the question should be, why does the iBad need so much power in order to charge. It seems to be a horribly inefficient design.

That's nothing, they have an image of your iPhone they hand over to authorities if they asked for it, tracking is the least of my worries.

word. first thing I did (and my battery life's been much better as a result too). I'm not a fan of companies doing this crap, but they all seem to.

I find it funny that when apple does it = news, but MS tracking users in Windows 8 = no mention.

I wouldn't expect anything less.

It's probably in the EULA. To my knowledge there isn't anything preventing this, from a current legal standpoint, if you agree to it in the EULA. Obviously EULA's aren't totally legally binding but I don't think anyone has challenged it yet.

Apple's EULA is fucking 35+ pages so who knows what is in there.

Human centipede

The problem with Apple and that one change in the adaptor and you screw MILLIONS of device sold previously (unless you keep you're old iphone). Other brand don't have much accesoiries.

Also most compagny use MICRO USB now since what.. 3-4 years.. before that most phone company where using propriary connectors, but people complained enought about that so they all (mostly) changed.

EU forced them too - all electronics makes had to keep the same charger so that landfills don't get too full - won't happen in the USA

word. first thing I did (and my battery life's been much better as a result too). I'm not a fan of companies doing this crap, but they all seem to.

I find it funny that when apple does it = news, but MS tracking users in Windows 8 = no mention.

so lets ask the community here on their opinion on windows 8 and microsoft's direction

oh wait, they fucking hate that too

Whoever showed that picture, tsk tsk tsk. That is why the internet has such a shitty credibility. While this is kinda gay for them to do, It's not that bad.

I am however enjoying using the same micro-usb cable that I used with my HTC HD2 on my samsung galaxy tab 10.1 and my samsung galaxy s3.

U3Jjw.jpg

As per required by the EU , the standard plug design has been around for ages. Many of those plugs vary from country to country as well.

I will say that Apple sticking with the same adapter for so long was a smart move , forcing everyone to buy a new one for the new line of hardware and to buy an adapter at $40 ..is fucking dumb.

As per required by the EU , the standard plug design has been around for ages. Many of those plugs vary from country to country as well.

I will say that Apple sticking with the same adapter for so long was a smart move , forcing everyone to buy a new one for the new line of hardware and to buy an adapter at $40 ..is fucking dumb.

I agree. I actually prefer the newer design to the old 30pin, but last weekend I left my charging cable at work (40 miles from my house) and was forced to keep my phone off, to make sure that I had enough juice left for sunday night/monday morning (while having 3-4 30 pin cables all laying around, taunting me). I ended up just going to grab it on saturday, but AFAIK, you can't even get adaptors or cables at retail stores yet, so it's pretty inconvenient.

I really don't care too much about accessories not working, as I'm keeping my iPhone 4 as an AppleTV remote/GPS/iPod/etc... so they're not going to waste.

The old connector wasn't really that good. Cables with the 30 pin ends on them come out pretty easily.

I am not a fan of Apple, but just got our first iPhone5 in at work and the new connector is way better IMHO.

As for $40 for an adapter.. hah.. maybe for the Apple fanbois who have to buy everything from the Apple store.

They are available on Ebay for $13 for the regular adapter, or $15 for the adapter cable.

And if you wait a about a month, they will be available for $10 for the regular adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=iphone+5+adapter+8+to+30+pin&_sop=15

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Tracking a phone is far worse than tracking a pc. Thats why. Phones have gps and are carried just about everywhere you go.

I work with quite a few iphone users and when this first came out I was joking with them about Apple tracking them. The standard reply I got was “If you’re not doing anything wrong what do you care if they are tracking you?”

I then took it to the next level and asked if they would let the Police search their home without a warrant and the consensus was, “I have nothing to hide and only someone that does would care if the police search their home”

Now this isn’t limited to Apple users but it speaks volumes for people so willing to give up their 4th amendment rights.

Tracking a phone is far worse than tracking a pc. Thats why. Phones have gps and are carried just about everywhere you go.

As someone that often uses my PC for moonlighting... which I'm under an NDA 9 times out of 10 due to trade secrets and such, I couldn't disagree more. Both are equally disturbing.

As someone that often uses my PC for moonlighting... which I'm under an NDA 9 times out of 10 due to trade secrets and such, I couldn't disagree more. Both are equally disturbing.

Exactly, don't look at how severely the right is violated, none of our rights should be violated to begin with.

Eh, Windows 8 is touted to be a very mobile OS, which is why the feature is there in the first place. So no, it's not really much different.

Not every phone has a gps or a gps that you can't turn off. Some cyanogenmod roms allow you to turn off the gps to save battery amongst other things. People always chuckle when they see my 20$ flip phone... Yet, I don't have to pay an extra 99$ for applecare, 50$ for a case, 25$ a month for data and 30$ for a cord. To each their own I guess.

Not every phone has a gps or a gps that you can't turn off. Some cyanogenmod roms allow you to turn off the gps to save battery amongst other things. People always chuckle when they see my 20$ flip phone... Yet, I don't have to pay an extra 99$ for applecare, 50$ for a case, 25$ a month for data and 30$ for a cord. To each their own I guess.

You don't have to buy Apple Care, and cases aren't $50?

Depends on what you want to do with your phone ... smartphones have definite advantages over the non-smart variety (for both Android and iOS) ... whether those advantages offset the costs varies from individual to individual ...

I don't use a case for my phone anymore so no money there ... Applecare is optional (and most cellphones have limited warrantees anyway) ... I haven't upgraded to the new phone so I haven't had to deal with this cord but I have had to change cords many times on PCs when new standards came out

As to the monthly data charge depends on what you do with your phone whether that is useful ... I use my GPS a lot for my bike commute and other outdoor exercise activities ... I use the browser to reach blocked sites at work or when I need to look up things on the go ... I use the smartphone aspects of my phone for streaming music, making shopping lists, managing shopping coupons and discounts, tracking exercise activities at the gym and other activities ... worth it to me ... others mileage may vary ;)

Funny, my Android tablet seems to charge just fine over USB and it has a quad core processor.

Perhaps the question should be, why does the iBad need so much power in order to charge. It seems to be a horribly inefficient design.

What electronic products have you designed?

Back