From Brand New Laptop to Infected By Pressing 'On'

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know, it is a damn shame that you don't even get the pleasure of surfing the "risky" sites anymore before getting infected with a virus/malware. :(

A customer in Shenzhen, China, took a brand new laptop out of its box and booted it up for the first time. But as the screen lit up, the computer began taking on a life of its own. The machine, triggered by a virus hidden in its hard drive, began searching across the Internet for another computer.

That's a lot like buying music from Sony on CD. :) Well, completely different...but kinda the same.

Anyway, Microsoft's seekrit agents were the buyers and they were looking for pirated software so at least an unsuspecting customer didn't get an unwanted infection and rash.

That's a lot like buying music from Sony on CD. :) Well, completely different...but kinda the same.

Anyway, Microsoft's seekrit agents were the buyers and they were looking for pirated software so at least an unsuspecting customer didn't get an unwanted infection and rash.

That's just a few of many laptops that got sold. I'm sure someone got one.

Personally I find the title a bit sensationalistic as it leads one to believe that just turning on the computer got it infected when the fact is simply that they computer was infected before it was even purchased.

Sounds like the Chinese government is just not caring to hide anymore the fact they force computer manufactures to put backdoors in all sorts of things.

Sounds like the Chinese government is just not caring to hide anymore the fact they force computer manufactures to put backdoors in all sorts of things.

I'm betting that Peng's "cooperation" with government officials involves a chunk of cash to keep them out of his hair.

I never trust the chinese packages from china even tho I am chinese

Yeah, sounds like this laptop was infected before the consumer hit the "on" switch. It's not like there's some new super-virus out there that is infecting clean new computers as soon as you turn them on.

Yeah, sounds like this laptop was infected before the consumer hit the "on" switch. It's not like there's some new super-virus out there that is infecting clean new computers as soon as you turn them on.

Its not infected its a "Feature", :D

Zarathustra[H];1039136124 said:
Another good reason to wipe every new machine and do a fresh install before using it.

Especially in "we-pirate-everything" china.

Well, duhh. Did you read the article?

So wait, are you trying to tell us that someone selling pirated software might not be untrustworthy? Has the world gone mad?

There may be a problem with the master image.

Especially if you have a Compaq Presario 12XL500. Those are the worst, they have malware which makes you buy cats and dance when people are watching (but you think they aren't, and you mix up wearing and not wearing clothing :eek:)

Especially if you have a Compaq Presario 12XL500. Those are the worst, they have malware which makes you buy cats and dance when people are watching (but you think they aren't, and you mix up wearing and not wearing clothing :eek:)

I'll have you know that the last three times that I was naked (that I remember at least) I was pretty sure I was supposed to be that way. :( And, all week, I managed to show up to work mostly dressed. That's gotta be a new record for me.

Back