Windows 8 Could Have Nine Different Editions

HardOCP News

[H] News
What a difference a week makes. On Monday the rumor was Microsoft would only be making three versions of Windows 8 (here) now they are saying nine different editions.

We have posted couple of days back that Windows 8 would have only 3 SKU, but the Windows 8 consumer release says something else. According to the registry files in Windows 8 consumer preview, Windows 8 won’t have just the SKU available in Windows 7 but some more as well.

I liked the idea of 3 SKUs, would have made my life as a system builder so much easier. I don't deal with enterprise, so home and business SKUs would have worked perfectly.

Great. My only complaint about Windows 7 is that it's offerings weren't granular enough.

Then you want Windows 7. There is no damn difference other than the UI which is what pisses me off.

To be fair, even though I hate metro this isn't really true. There is still a difference. Granted that difference could largely be included in Win 7 as a service pack, but it is there.

+1 for the metro free edition. All I am asking for here guys is that metro is "Optional" on non touch devices. The entire UI of win 8 is beautiful on a tablet but doesn't make a shred of sense on a desktop with a large widescreen monitor. MS has given us the option to use whatever desktop version we want for years now, why this isn't an option in Win 8 baffles me. One simple option and all the bitching stops..those that like it can have it and those that hate it don't have to deal with it. Literally EVERYONE wins...

What is with Starter? Maybe a limited time use for people who are thinking about buying Windows 8?

What about Enterprise Eval? A limited time use ofr companies thinking about upgrading? Really? That doesn't even make sense unless volume licensing is going to go through a major change.

Home Basic? Really... For those people who want to save $10 on a PC/laptop and will later regret not getting a better version and then having to shell out more money to get the version they should have gotten in the first place?

Professional Plus? Ummm.. ok.

Ultimate? Hrmmm... Professional plus a few other useless things that they charge another $100 for?

They REALLY only need 3 SKU's: Home, Pro, and Enterprise.

It would end up being a lot simpler and less sucky, especially for us IT people.

Ultimate edition, again? Man, there has almost never been a serious reason to get an Ultimate edition unless it is zero cost to you. Pro should seriously have all the things Ultimate does, unless it's something really stellar this time around (hah, yeah right).

1. Poor Ass edition
2. Microsoft still wants money edition
3. Windows now allows two running applications... edition
4. Do not install Linux... edition
5. Everybody gets this edition
6. Take my money edition
7. You should think about hackintosh... edition
8. All your moneys belong to us... edition

Then you want Windows 7. There is no damn difference other than the UI which is what pisses me off.
There are many differences. Some you probably won't care about.

Well, most you probably won't care about, actually.

Carry on then.

Ultimate edition, again? Man, there has almost never been a serious reason to get an Ultimate edition unless it is zero cost to you. Pro should seriously have all the things Ultimate does, unless it's something really stellar this time around (hah, yeah right).

Home premium should have all the features of Business too. Its REALLY fucking annoying to know one set of commands for Pro and one for Home Prem because they think remote desktop, group policies and bitlocker should cost more.

LOL. The hell?

After Home Basic, we have Home Premium. And then we get to Professional, but wait. There's Professional Plus, before you get to Ultimate:eek:

Whoever that came up with this idea needs to be fired.

There are quite a few different offerings in win8 verses win7 ... Win 8 will be 64bit only on the pc and of course now made for ARM . So It's a big step of shedding the old 32bit OS offerings.
One major difference is Win8 will ship with a new file format system ,ReFS, (which stands for Resilient File System). Win8 can deal with larger data and scale in data management compared to win7 .
As was stated earlier task manager was revamped, win 8 now has a Task Manager with 64+ logical processors.
There is a huge list of things win8 has under it's hood that Win7 does not.
The Consum. edt. that shipped is still a beta and not the final version of what is going to be shipped so give MS a break here.

As for the 8+ editions of Win8 ,this is all due to demand and everyone in the past was
bit ching over not having a choice in what version they wanted and X version be to much $$$. Besides win 7 has the same amount of editions except for the ARM edt... I am supprised this site that listed 8 omitted all the EU versions MS is going to have to crfeate.

We (CTO, Senior Mangement and testing group) met with Microsoft last Friday about Windows 8. According to what we were told, a few of those SKU will not be available to the public, but only to OEMs, the ARM and Starter editions in particular.

What they indicated is that the publicly available editions are planned, at this time, to pretty much mirror what was available with Windows 7.

And there are quite a few differences between 7 and 8 besides metro, which you can turn off completely and never use if you want to. Metro isn't designed to be used with mouse and keyboard systems and isn't supposed to be. There's no reason to have it on unless you want metro aps and/or have a touch screen.

One of the ones I found interesting, which I haven't seen published anywhere, was the ability to install and run the entire operating system from a USB Key and run it as a completely portable operating system similar to Knoppix. Aps are installed on the USB Key and the local hard drive is not accessible.

There's also some really tight integration with Skydrive and other cloud services, and some other bells and whistles that make it pretty attractive as an upgrade, especially in an enterprise.

The Windows 8 developers gave you a list of all the code changes from the groundup and there was only a few things here and there? Where can the rest of us acquire that list?

... give me a fucking break... :p

LOL. The hell?

After Home Basic, we have Home Premium. And then we get to Professional, but wait. There's Professional Plus, before you get to Ultimate:eek:

Whoever that came up with this idea needs to be fired.

The majority of these editions that MS is pumping out will not be seen by normal Joe blow. The list is a mix of both retail and non-retail versions of win 8.
sheesh get a clue people.

The amount of FUD surrounding new Windows releases is astounding.

1. Poor Ass edition
2. Microsoft still wants money edition
3. Windows now allows two running applications... edition
4. Do not install Linux... edition
5. Everybody gets this edition
6. Take my money edition
7. You should think about hackintosh... edition
8. All your moneys belong to us... edition

Don't forget the most important one.

9. EU-every-feature-removed-so-you-can't-sue-us-edition.

There are quite a few different offerings in win8 verses win7 ... Win 8 will be 64bit only on the pc and of course now made for ARM . So It's a big step of shedding the old 32bit OS offerings.
One major difference is Win8 will ship with a new file format system ,ReFS, (which stands for Resilient File System). Win8 can deal with larger data and scale in data management compared to win7 .
As was stated earlier task manager was revamped, win 8 now has a Task Manager with 64+ logical processors.
There is a huge list of things win8 has under it's hood that Win7 does not.
The Consum. edt. that shipped is still a beta and not the final version of what is going to be shipped so give MS a break here.

As for the 8+ editions of Win8 ,this is all due to demand and everyone in the past was
bit ching over not having a choice in what version they wanted and X version be to much $$$. Besides win 7 has the same amount of editions except for the ARM edt... I am supprised this site that listed 8 omitted all the EU versions MS is going to have to crfeate.

Can turn it off? Really? Why isn't that in the CP? Right now you have to use what amounts to a hack workaround. I would be a WHOLE lot less against Win 8 if I knew I could turn that shit off as a real option and not some hack.

Can turn it off? Really? Why isn't that in the CP? Right now you have to use what amounts to a hack workaround. I would be a WHOLE lot less against Win 8 if I knew I could turn that shit off as a real option and not some hack.

They purposefully disabled the simple registry key to remove it which worked in the developer edition. Which doesn't bode well...

How many versions of BOB do you need? Bob and his brother Bo? Bob and his first cousin Bubba? BoBo? MS, you are not smarter that a fifth grader.

I haven't installed the CP build yet...Right now I am to busy running the Windows Server "8" Beta
..but look in Settings - Power - Shutdownn . You can do a search in apps for shutdown and pin it to the metro ui. & look in the charms area, awful word to choose for something in an OS :| .Now that person needs to be pelted with eggs.

I haven't installed the CP build yet...Right now I am to busy running the Windows Server "8" Beta
..but look in Settings - Power - Shutdownn . You can do a search in apps for shutdown and pin it to the metro ui. & look in the charms area, awful word to choose for something in an OS :| .Now that person needs to be pelted with eggs.

I haven't bothered to try server 8...but seriously that ui..is on server? Ok it is official. Microsoft has left someone who is a freaking loon in charge. There is No excuse whatsoever to have that UI on server. I will absolutely revolt if I have to deal with that BS on my servers.:mad:

Back