Megaupload’s Kim Dotcom Loses ‘Call of Duty’ Top Spot

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
At last the real reason Kim Dotcom was arrested becomes apparent. It had nothing to do with Megaupload’s copyright infringement; it was all about his standing in Call of Duty 3. Since he has been incarcerated without bail, he has lost his standing as the #1 player in the world. If you can’t beat ‘em fair and square, have ‘em locked up. :D

Ironically, Megaupload might have made it even harder to reach that top spot by facilitating free downloads of games such as Modern Warfare 3.

Ironically, Megaupload might have made it even harder to reach that top spot by facilitating free downloads of games such as Modern Warfare 3.

So MW3 allows you to play ranked servers with pirated (hacked) copies (no valid CDkey)? Usually the pirated games are SP and unranked only because they can't pass the .exe check.

So MW3 allows you to play ranked servers with pirated (hacked) copies (no valid CDkey)? Usually the pirated games are SP and unranked only because they can't pass the .exe check.

I'm guessing it's just terrible reporting and a complete lack of fact checking.

His respawn time is over the top! What is he facing, 5-10 years?
We will be around MW6-9 by then.

Call Of Duty 3 and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 are two totally different games separated by about 5 years.

I bet the courts stop the data deletion. That would destroy evidence, right?

I've used megaupload to send large files of pictures/videos to family in other states since I could not send them over email due to the file size. It sucks this site is going down.

Arresting this guy is like arresting a storage facility owner for someone else illegally stashing contraband in their storage shed instead of going after the person that put it there in the first place.

Arresting this guy is like arresting a storage facility owner for someone else illegally stashing contraband in their storage shed instead of going after the person that put it there in the first place.

there is one small difference that makes that analogy inaccurate- the fact (or the extent to which) this guy and megaupload promoted/profited directly from storing illegal files. i think that a cloud service that just so happened to also be used for storing illegal files, is different from a cloud service that actively promotes the use for illegal purposes. how you differentiate the two is up for debate.

a more accurate analogy would be if the storage facility owner openly advertized "store your meth lab at our facilities..." and profited from people doing that.

Actually i think its illegal what the government is doing.

Specially because there was no warning that MegaUpload was a illegal rouge site, yes it used for illegal file hosting, but so is YouTube.
But just like youtube it also had a take down system.

It would be the same as if i have brought my care to a repair shop to change the oil, now this shop gets raided for being a illegal chop shop for stolen cars, i will still get my car back, as i own it.

MU is willing to pay for there servers, at least, let them send all there customers a notification, that they can download there files, even if its just only the original up loader that is allowed to download/migrate the data.

I could be wrong, as i am not a lawyer, but i see a huge lawsuit coming against the US or any other government if they do this.

On the the other hand any idiot uploads there only copy of important data to a company and don't keep a personal copy deserves to have there data erased!
Its just that acting/being stupid is not a green light for the government, that its ok to erase people's data.

player-x,

First the government isn't doing anything with the files, it's simply a matter of with MU shutdown their rented storage isn't being paid for which allows the owners to reclaim that space by deleting the contents.

Also let's not forget that the site itself warned that it can not be liable for lost data, so by storing anything on the site you have accepted the chance that it could be lost so the reason MU can't pay the bill is meaningless.

No the problem is that the government has frozen the accounts so MU cant pay the bill, and that government is not willing to work with MU to pay for 1 or 2 months extra.

And to prevent MU admins can set it so for every account that all data is only accessible by there own owners.

Its just so that the government, still have to prove in court that MU was a mainly illegal rouge site, un till that has bin proven, it should be so that the government is at least lenient toward the legal users.

Because even so MU was operating in the gray side of the law, now the governments are doing the same.

Because if the government would open up access to only the account owners, there would be very little risk of further infractment of copyright material, and legitiment owners can download there files.

Just as with bankruptcy, the government could setup a sort of curator/trustee to see to it that noting illegal is happening.

The FBI/government is not the guard dog of music/film industry, it there to serve the people and companies, that follow the law, and making use of MU to share you non or own copyright files was a legitimate use of MU.

My 2 cents

This is the end of cloud storage. At the RIAA's command the US government will seize servers and erase even legitimate data. Who would trust the cloud now, at least if the servers are in the US, or one of America's lackey countries.

Welcome to 1984.

Actually i think its illegal what the government is doing.

Specially because there was no warning that MegaUpload was a illegal rouge site, yes it used for illegal file hosting, but so is YouTube.
But just like youtube it also had a take down system...[/I]

You are so right. I hope thousands of screwed over legitimate customers sue the government for damages (lost files caused by wrongful action by the government).

If the majority of people have pirated software, then, we gonna shut down Intel and Dell because "obviously" they knew the machines they sold facilatate criminal activity?

F@#k off mr too big government getting involved where you shouldn't but not doing what you should - only caring about corporate bribes that keep you in office.

"mainly illegal site" - what does that have to do with anything?!?

If the majority of people download songs illegally, do you shut down the whole Internet? No.

F@#k off mr too big government getting involved where you shouldn't but not doing what you should - only caring about corporate bribes that keep you in office.
Actually i don't agree with you on this, just as it is the governments job, to stop people from speeding, its also there job to stop people from illegally download stuff.

And its also my right to put my finger up and say fuck it i go speeding because i like it, just as i like to download shit.

And if i get caught doing it, hey, shit happens, tho thank god i don't live in the USA , and "if" they get me, i will be fined something like 250 to 2000 euro.

I have no problem with government going after illegal download, i do have a problem with Government shutting down a company that was doing "legal" business with costumers, and not give the legal behaving costumers there property back.

Because even do its just digital data that dose not mean its not owned or have value for people.
Hey if in game items can have value, privet or even business data can and will have even more value.

And whats the difference between a car and data, if they both have value?

He's also going to lose his virginity while in jail...he'll be in the cross-hairs for a head-shot for sure.:D

Back