SNES PC Build Project

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do you guys remember [H] forum member DaBuddMon? He was the guy that built a computer inside an old NES console. Well he's back with a new project and this time around he's putting beefier hardware into a smaller system!

I appluad his work. I laffed

Can you run some cables under the motherboard to try and lessen the mangled mess or do you have any leeway below it?

Can you run some cables under the motherboard to try and lessen the mangled mess or do you have any leeway below it?

Who are you directing the question at? Don't know if the creator will even come across this thread.

No, there isn't any leeway for that. Sort of goes against the sleeper look. I think I should be able to fit them all inside - I hope.

wow nice build wish i could do something like that with my old psx.. its got me thinking

hey nice build there buddmon. that hdmi run is the tits! good luck with the rest of the build, looking forward to seeing how it comes out. :)

I like this one better....of course I played SNES more than the NES. Really.....hows the heat?

Very nice work, will follow the project with interest.

That said, some suggestions on the Cabling issue.

Strip the sleeving and just use some heat shrink around the connector bit. Given it is an interior cable, this will give you a Load more space and make wiring easier. This is what those of us who used to mod before rounded IDE's, right angle connectors and such did. Strip down the wire to the bare essentials and you gain more flexibility and space.

No, there isn't any leeway for that. Sort of goes against the sleeper look. I think I should be able to fit them all inside - I hope.

Sorry, I re-read this and thought under the case instead of under the mobo. My thought was cabling in the lid somehow - I'm worried that underneath the mobo will get too hot, and there isn't much room under it anyway.

Excellent video. This guy is talented, I assume he edited his own video.

Nice little build you did there. Your voice is annoying though I must admit :p

Which part does it get annoying? Is it just certain parts? I ask because I want to improve the last video when I make it. Do certain parts sound ok?

Another question I wanted to put out to [H] is what CPU heatsink do you all think I should go with? I wanted to go passive. The one I'm using right now is just for testing, I had it from an older build - sure I might use it, but I don't really need the fan since I won't have any exhaust ports anyway. The heatsink needs to fit on a 1155 socket and can only be 27mm high - any higher and it might hit the lid.

BTW, I will credit [H] in the last video for giving me some honest critique. I really do appreciate it.

Which part does it get annoying? Is it just certain parts? I ask because I want to improve the last video when I make it. Do certain parts sound ok?

Another question I wanted to put out to [H] is what CPU heatsink do you all think I should go with? I wanted to go passive. The one I'm using right now is just for testing, I had it from an older build - sure I might use it, but I don't really need the fan since I won't have any exhaust ports anyway. The heatsink needs to fit on a 1155 socket and can only be 27mm high - any higher and it might hit the lid.

BTW, I will credit [H] in the last video for giving me some honest critique. I really do appreciate it.

The video editing is good, the flow of the video is good, the content is good, and the build itself is quite nice also. As far as your voice, I can't describe it really other than I know it isn't the voice you'd use when talking to someone, it feels contrived. Look at 6:10 - 6:17 for example, you sound like you're faking distress. I think its your "video presentation" voice that I find annoying. I'm sure you don't sound like that when you casually talk to people.

The video editing is good, the flow of the video is good, the content is good, and the build itself is quite nice also. As far as your voice, I can't describe it really other than I know it isn't the voice you'd use when talking to someone, it feels contrived. Look at 6:10 - 6:17 for example, you sound like you're faking distress. I think its your "video presentation" voice that I find annoying. I'm sure you don't sound like that when you casually talk to people.

Yeah, it's def contrived. So I guess I should just take out the drama, at least in the voice parts (like someone else said earlier). That makes sense. The voice-acting is new to me, so it's fun to experiment with. That's why I like to spend so much time with these videos, feels partially like a college film experiment. Thanks for the input.

And no, it wasn't a working SNES. I bought it from someone that was going to throw it away and tested it out before taking it apart. I'm not sure if it shows up on the video, but the SNES board was half black on one side. I dunno what the previous owner did to it.

Definitely a cool build, I like the silly way you did the vid too. It's just,... emulation isn't faithful to native game performance! Can't beat using a real SNES. Your next project is to find a way to load ROMs dynamically into a real SNES :D

Back