What Facebook Announced at F8 Today

HardOCP News

[H] News
Mark Zuckerberg, speaking at Facebook's annual developers conference, announced two new site features called Timeline and Ticker.

Timeline, he explained, is "the story of your life," significantly altering the way users' information is shown on the world's leading social network, presenting "all your stories, all your apps, and a new way to express who you are....It's a way to tell all the important stories from your life on a single page," Zuckerberg said.

Oh no, Facebook is changing/adding/updating something, get ready for the wave of drama queens sheding emo tears all over these, and most other, forums!

This pretty much sums it up: "Yo dawg, we heard you liked Facebook so we put a Facebook in the upper right-hand corner of your Facebook page so you can Facebook while you Facebook."

Do [H] members really need to be informed of every change facebook makes?

I'm waiting to hear from Google+ that they gained 600 million subscribers overnight.

who else here stopped using facebook ages ago?

I never used it and never will. Just surfing the internet is bad enough with regard to people and companies data-mining every thing they can about you. Facebook? Please. Facebook is an evil force in the world as far as I am concerned.

I hate to say it, but the only people I know without Facebooks are loners and vagabonds. I'm not saying you guys are, but in general, Facebook is a "social resume" that's a must in today's world.

I hate to say it, but the only people I know without Facebooks are loners and vagabonds. I'm not saying you guys are, but in general, Facebook is a "social resume" that's a must in today's world.

Oh really? There weren't Facebooks 8 yrs ago and people were doing fine.

And there weren't computers 50 years ago, and businesses were doing just dandy as well. Your point?

Like it or not, humanities social construct has evolved (or devolved, I might say XD) and a facebook is pretty much a requirement among the 16-24yo age group... Not having one, as I chose to abide by for over two years, was a social death sentence. Luckily I was grounded enough socially so that it wasn't a huge deal - but when college events dried up, it became a REQUIREMENT to have any sort of social life.

Here's the thing...since everyone has a FB now, most people rely just on it to plan events. They don't bother calling you. Texts, maybe but only to their closest friends. If you aren't on FB, you're essentially dead to people.

And there weren't computers 50 years ago, and businesses were doing just dandy as well. Your point?

Like it or not, humanities social construct has evolved (or devolved, I might say XD) and a facebook is pretty much a requirement among the 16-24yo age group... Not having one, as I chose to abide by for over two years, was a social death sentence. Luckily I was grounded enough socially so that it wasn't a huge deal - but when college events dried up, it became a REQUIREMENT to have any sort of social life.

Lol comparing a computer to Facebook. People can easily find other social media without Facebook.

Like it or not, humanities social construct has evolved (or devolved, I might say XD) and a facebook is pretty much a requirement among the 16-24yo age group...

I've done fine without one (apart from that silly steam things where they made you...can't even remember the login...). You can't partay on a website anyway. :p

Think about it facebook has "500 million" (with probably 90% fake/duplicate/dead) accounts. The world has 6+ billion people. Most 40+ people I know have one, but not everyone in their 20s does.

Here's the thing...since everyone has a FB now, most people rely just on it to plan events. They don't bother calling you. Texts, maybe but only to their closest friends. If you aren't on FB, you're essentially dead to people.

You make me laugh. Only stupid people would think Facebook is the only way to communicate.

You make me laugh. Only stupid people would think Facebook is the only way to communicate.

It isn't but that's how the young kids are using it today. It is the fact that these kids have all of their friends and who's who in their Facebook list, and thats how these kids are planning their parties or whatever.

Its just like how one may argue that email isn't the only way to send a mail to someone, the traditional mail service is still in business, but how many people still use it to communicate with their friends.

Of course I'm not saying that this is as bad as email vs snail mail is today, but this is the trend that many of the younger generation are moving towards. Someday our grand kids would be shock to hear about how we used to pick up a phone and call up our buddies just to hang out with them :p

I was hoping that they would debut their long awaited feature, "The Off Switch".
Alas, I will continue to wait.

Back