Nintendo 3DS Sales Jump 260% After Price Cut

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Nintendo gets it now. After initial sales of the 3DS were dismal to say the least, the company decided to cut the retail price from the original $250 to $179 and boosted sales by 260%. The company didn’t overestimate to lure of 3D, just how much customers were willing to pay for the technology.

Good to hear. I love mine. I play it all the time. The 3D adds a great new level to the games. They just need MORE games! lol The library is lacking big time right now.

Hp gets it too. Once the price of their tablets fell tremendously, they didn't have enough of them to sell.

Anything under the $199 price point would probably sell better than anything over $200 (for new handheld tech.) I see spending $199 an easier task than $200, but that may just be me.

you are a marketers' wet dream.

and 260% of next-to-zero is still a low number...

Going from 50,000 in the first part of the month to 185,000 for the second half of the month is hardly next-to-zero. It put the DS in 2nd spot for dedicated hardware sold in August.

The 3DS sold more units than every console except the 360 in August. In Japan they moved over 250k units after they dropped the price.

Anything under the $199 price point would probably sell better than anything over $200 (for new handheld tech.) I see spending $199 an easier task than $200, but that may just be me.

Not just you. A handful of my co-workers constantly say things like "Hey, Fry's has this 46" LG LCD for $900! Should I buy it?"

I see that it's $999 and say, "Hey, why don't you look at this 46" Sony. It's $1100 (1099), for for a hundred bucks more, you'll be happier with your purchase."

"Dude, it's a two hundred dollar difference! You're bad at math!"

I -always- round my prices up, add 10% for tax, and round up to the nearest 5 to cover gas. So, a game that's on sale for $39.99 ends up being $45. That deters me from buying most things retail.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not 3ds sales keep its momentum. I think most of the sales came from people who wanted the Ambassador Program deals who bought the 3ds at $249 and then price matched to the new price.

I'm not sure why, but tons of people went gaga after they announced the Ambassador Program. 20 games I've already played before, and 20 games I've already paid for before don't give me a reason to pick up a hand held with no titles I'm interested in.

The 3DS sold more units than every console except the 360 in August. In Japan they moved over 250k units after they dropped the price.

actually they moved about 410k units of 3DS in august ( in japan ) BUT software sales on the other hand was way less than half of hardware sales

They sold more units once the 3DS Compatiable Backu-Up units showed up on the scene LOL.

everyone needs to learn from the touchpad.

sell at $99. even if it means a loss.

/nuff said

same idea with dirt cheap printers.

sell all-in-one printer scanner fax for $30, and sell the ink for more

Maybe Nintendo got in the first place. An initial high price makes a lower high price look better. Apple did this stunt with the introduction of the iPhone. It's also a way to milk those willing to pay more.

NEWSFLASH: Inventory moves much faster at drastically cheaper prices (story developing...)

You guys really don't know the facts.

The 3DS costs Nintendo about $100 to make.

They ARE making a profit on the hardware, they always were, in fact the $250 price point helped them make good profits, untill they stopped selling at that price point.

They should have launched at the new price point and they would have generated more sales and enthuiasm.

That's good. I know there's no way in hell I would pay $250 for a portable gaming system. I'm not even willing to pay that for a home console these days.

I got my friends on that macmall 150 dollars free shipping free tax for black 3ds
all happy.

I love it when ignorant fanboys spew nonsense when they obviously know absolutely nothing about it. The 3DS sales weren't spectacular, but they were amazing considering what Nintendo was trying to push on consumers. It sold more units then PSP did in the same time frame and only missed DS numbers by about 600K. compare that with the fact that the system is very underpowered for $250, still has has no big games, even after the price reduction, has a design almost as bad as the DS phat, no second thumbstick and terrible battery life (well bad for Nintendo numbers, about par for Sony), yet it still outsold Sony in the same timeframe. It just didn't sell like the DS has been so people cried foul. People are quick to forget, that the DS didn't start selling that well until games rolled in almost a year after release then it exploded and never slowed down.

TLDR: Nintendo was never in trouble even with it's huge blunders the 3DS would've recovered, even without the price cut, and continue to sell better then PSP once games start rolling in. Factor in the price cut and Sony will once again no longer be leader of any market space.

Back