Introducing Steam Trading Beta

HardOCP News

[H] News
Valve's latest and greatest idea? Allowing players to trade in-game items for other in-game items from participating games. Good idea? Bad idea?

But wait. What if we told you that you could barter for things that weren't garbage, AND not die of polio? Steam Trading Beta lets you securely trade your in-game items for other in-game items from participating games. You can also trade Steam gifts (games on Steam that you've purchased but not yet added to your Games Library).

God Valve is so selfish. rabble rabble rabble.

Actually my interest is peaked. I have some steam gifts and hats I need to ditch ...unless anybody wants world cup cricket?

Actually my interest is peaked. I have some steam gifts and hats I need to ditch ...unless anybody wants world cup cricket?

I hate to be a grammar nazi, but I've seen "peaked" used by a lot of people in the forums and I even recall it in an [H] review...

It's piqued. ;) (sorry!)

How about trading games for other games? The would never do that tho since they would lose so much money.

Zarathustra[H];1037619973 said:
Wake me when they allow you to trade your installed games... :rolleyes:

This might be the first step in that direction.

Some ebooks you buy off Amazon.com can be "loaned" to others.

I think maybe Valve will allow to trade games between accounts, eventually. What I really want to see is Valve buy out Onlive and incorporate that technology so people can choose to play the game instantly while at the same time downloading the game. I don't see why now a download stops on Steam when I launch a separate game.

I think maybe Valve will allow to trade games between accounts, eventually. What I really want to see is Valve buy out Onlive and incorporate that technology so people can choose to play the game instantly while at the same time downloading the game. I don't see why now a download stops on Steam when I launch a separate game.

alt-tab out of the game, click on the updating file, choose pause updating, then choose resume updating.

Then play your game, while you download.

hmm how is this different from the item trading u could already do in tf2?

Are you anti steam/valve or are you just never happy?

I love how easy steam is. I think its the best thing that has happened to PC gaming in the last 10 years.

That being said it infuriates me to no end that I have licenses to games my stepson enjoys that I never liked and never played after installing and testing once, that I cant give to him. (there is no way I'd trust him with using my account to play them.)

Can you imagine if once you brought home a game from the store and popped it in your console the disk was permanently bound to the first console it was played on? We'd have riots in the streets worse than in London.

I'd rather want the ability to trade/give games that are already in my library to other steam members. There is a number games that I have that I'd give to friends because I got my enjoyment out of them and don't care to play them again.

let me trade a full game i am done playing :) then we can talk!
The gaming company will all stop selling their games on Steam altogether if this ever happens.

Lets be realistic here, no gaming companies wants that. In the past, that is possible with retail copies but even now, they are trying to discourage this by using Steamworks or EA account where your cd-key is tied to, just to name a few. Some are even openly complaining about games resale.

That is never going to happen on Steam or Origin or any DD

If I'm reading this right its an awesome update.
Remember this allows you to trade any steam gifts you buy, so four packs on sale can be securely traded.

1. Buy 4 pack when on 90% or similar sale.
2. Wait a few weeks until after the sale
3. Trade each of the games for games which is worth the same catalogue price.
4. Profit

The gaming company will all stop selling their games on Steam altogether if this ever happens

Maybe they'll just have to come to terms with this as reality. Personally I'd like to see it legislated as a right: You want the government to give you an exclusive on something you create? Fine, in turn you have to allow lending/resale no matter what.

Please remember that every other company in the world deals with used sales, and somehow they are ok. Computer hardware, A/V equipment, automobiles, tools, houses, furniture, you name it, it is sold used. Yet somehow, they all survive, Somehow, they can deal with the fact that after they get the money for their product, they are done and people are allowed to resell it, trade it, give it away, or whatever else they like.

Perhaps game makers are going to need to get on board with that concept, they need to accept they aren't the one special group that gets to not have their stuff have a secondary market.

So you'll be able to trade hats from one game to another. Whoopie freaking do. Maybe I'm just strange this way, but I play games to kill (virtual) people and break (virtual) things. Now someone would give me a BFG9000 and let me use it on a Quake guy, that would be different. Oh, that's right. I already did that. :rolleyes:

So you'll be able to trade hats from one game to another. Whoopie freaking do. Maybe I'm just strange this way, but I play games to kill (virtual) people and break (virtual) things. Now someone would give me a BFG9000 and let me use it on a Quake guy, that would be different. Oh, that's right. I already did that. :rolleyes:

Hate to say it .. but the interest to aquire ANYTHING is here to stay. I did it about 10 years ago in high school. (selling in game items for RL$), Was able to buy my first car with money made and a high end computer at the time. I see kids doing it now on TF2 with the same intent in mind...mind you, I would never buy virtual items either. My acquisitions stay in physical tangible forms.

I hate to be a grammar nazi, but I've seen "peaked" used by a lot of people in the forums and I even recall it in an [H] review...

It's piqued. ;) (sorry!)

I actually did mean

the maximum point, degree, or volume of anything: Oil prices reached their peak last year.

but you can have this one anyway :)

I'd rather want the ability to trade/give games that are already in my library to other steam members. There is a number games that I have that I'd give to friends because I got my enjoyment out of them and don't care to play them again.

This.

Not to mention steam sells bundles that often have at least 1-3 games I have no interest in playing and would love to give to someone who would play them (in theory the games _I_ don't want to play *someone* does and that someone probably has games s/he doesn't like that I would).

I have around 8 games I can think of off the top of my head that I've NEVER launched, never even downloaded that I would gladly trade (not to mention some companies give you the option now of "buy game X at full price from us (on CD) and we'll give you game X PLUS games Y and Z on Steam!" (like above, I don't play all these and somone else would) I have around FOUR COPIES of most of the TellTale games and sure as hell dont need that many!)

As for item trading... I think there's 2 items in TF2 I have _any_ interest in acquiring and they don't even have good stats (purely aesthetics) so I probably would never use the feature...

Really? It hasn't been posted yet?

h0tkJ.jpg

With the imminent announcement of a new Counter Strike game, coupled with item trading beta -- I think it's clear that there will be hats in the new Counter Strike.

I thought this was going to be aboue trading games.. knew that was too good to be true though.

With the imminent announcement of a new Counter Strike game, coupled with item trading beta -- I think it's clear that there will be hats in the new Counter Strike.

Source?

I've been looking forward to a major revamp of CS for some time. Hats? Not so much. I feel that could remove what little seriousness and ambiance the game has completely.

Zarathustra[H];1037622645 said:
Source?

I've been looking forward to a major revamp of CS for some time. Hats? Not so much. I feel that could remove what little seriousness and ambiance the game has completely.

I'm being slightly sarcastic. But maybe the hats will be very "srs bizness"

I wanna sell\trade my used games. I have bought $60 games from Steam that people rave about and I hated them and never play them more than a handful of times. $60 down the drain.

hey, the franchise is becoming a bit of a joke, if you crank the silliness up to 11 it might breathe in some new life! :p

I played the damn game for 10 years, and at this point even I can't believe people are still playing it. Between the paid hacks and everything else, it just ruined it for me. I don't enjoy playing a game where it seems you always have to wonder whether someone is truly that good, or hacking.

I played the damn game for 10 years, and at this point even I can't believe people are still playing it. Between the paid hacks and everything else, it just ruined it for me. I don't enjoy playing a game where it seems you always have to wonder whether someone is truly that good, or hacking.

you have to find good servers and stick to a select few all the time

all the people i hear whining about it are people that play random pubs every night

you have to find good servers and stick to a select few all the time

all the people i hear whining about it are people that play random pubs every night

Exactly.

You have to find a good server, get to know the regulars on it, and stick with that server. maybe even make paypal donations to support it. It builds a strong community, and then you are playing with people you can trust, and when some random outsider comes in and plays impossibly well, everyone is watching their every move.

I used to run a couple of servers like this back in the day. These days I play here.

I find that hacking is less of a problem than it used to be though. People still hack on occasion, but its become more obvious now than it used to be.

Back